Home Technical Talk

Texturing/Unwraping Humvee-Question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iceman30 polycounter lvl 6
Hello again Friends.
I've got little problem with unwraping humvee.And because the many details,it will be complicate to unwrap and tweak each part.Could it be a good idea to use 3d coat for it.I'm still learning but i'm not sure do i can get same result with decals dirts and so on(as PS).I can see 3d coat is awesome but i couldn't find any tutorial about hardsurfaces(cars).To avoid spend all of my time looking for the best decision ,Please i'm asking for help.

Kindly waiting for your respond.

humvee.jpg
Shot at 2012-03-16

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi after reading your question it feels like you just want to get quick superfragilisticallyfantastic result without spending much time :D. I would advice you to do get down and dirty with unwrapping then work in CS that way you can learn alot compared to shortcuts, which by the way are for super pros who have done their homework before. It actually saddens me when my students and young artists just want to learn super advance stuff without getting the basics first :).

Also can you post wireframes and what your trying to achieve in intended end result, i mean you doing this for game engine or pre rendered.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the respond HAWK12HT. :0)
    Because i'm learning all from tutorials(not school)I'm little confused.
    I would like someday to become an environment artist(games).And my confusing it comes from
    this..Lets say when i see in some careers page(companys)the perfect candidate need to have
    skills (high/low/texturing..)Ok I really don't know am i right as thinking:If making car
    first i have to make high poly,texture it with AO an then bake it.. then to create low poly
    so i can use xnormal to use the texture for the low.I'm using 3d max 3 years ago Ps 4 and
    Udk 1 but this process really confuse me.I can reduce as well the high poly model of humvee
    but then when i apply turbosmooth will not be correct so this is the reason i put more edges.

I think my problem it comes as well from this that i'm not sure about the all process and because i aint got friends which work in the game industry sometimes i think i'm in circle.
    :0(
    My Humvee
    wireframep.jpg
    Shot at 2012-03-17
    I found it in the net"3D Vozila" work on someone and the kind of the look that i would like to achieve is something like so:

postapocalypticvehicleb.jpg
    Shot at 2012-03-17

Also i tried to create something like little town few months ago
    and here is the example of my work.

main1q.jpg
    Shot at 2012-03-16

And if you know or have some kind of online courses because you said(your students) about the proces above or any
    advice that i can keep in mind i'll be very grateful.Because in my country
    there are no special school for this.

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Well if you learn on your own then start from basics, that are basic UVW mapping, modelling. There is no right or wrong way of doing stuff in 3D its just the pipeline different company follow. Dont focus too much on what companies write on job posting as long as you know your stuff nothing will stop you from getting the job, those specifics are to scare those who dont really have those skills and still apply thus wasting company time and theirs.

Your best bet to make friends in 3D world are forums like this one or you can even look for volunteer work in indie games sector. The fact is that in big companies task is divided as modeller, texture artist, lighting etc. Knowing to work in all of them is great but in long run its gona be exhaustive on one individual.

As for your project I assume the model is your high poly :D, if so then you dont have to worry about unwrapping it, just model a low poly and bake the high poly on top it and then to texturing.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much HAWK12HT for the advices.I'm so Grateful!!! :0)
    I'll try to follow your instructions.
    What about AO,i mean do i have first bake it on the High poly or...? This is the next section that confuse me.I think if i can understand exactly the process it will help me a Lot.
    And i'm really happy for those things that you've said,because you save me maybe thousands hours looking,searching for the essential.I really don't rush i know it needs a lot of pation and i think i've got it,but about the exact process high to low/texturing,till the import in the game engine i didn't find much answers,untill now. :0) :0) :0)

Thank you so much for your time.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the highpoly
    Make the lowpoly
    Unwrap the lowpoly
    bake from the highpoly an AO and normal map into your lowpoly.

That's the basic workflow.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Rabbid_Cheeze for your respond.
    Do you know some tutorial that showing the process:
    (bake from the highpoly an AO and normal map into your lowpoly).

Thank you very much.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!!! :0)
    I watched the tutorial very carefull and i can say is very good.:0)
    But the thing that still i can't understand is..Ok if the object is much complicate(like my Humv)i just can't imajine how it can be done.Because in the Tut.he showing everything with allready unwraped obj. is that mean that i have to unwrap the high poly and if so,because the many details i have to do it on parts(few textures)?
    I cant understand as well..the guy said when you baking,i have to move the parts from the high poly in to the low and use the projection,but what about bolts and the others small details?
    I saw xnormal tutorial on youtube is it possible to be done with it..i mean to put
    my high poly,under it my low and then isn't going to be the same thing and faster as well?
    Sorry if my questions are little silly but i'm trying figure everything out.
    :0) :0) :0)

Thank you very much for the help.