Home Technical Talk

Optimising rocks on a seabed. Maya question.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zbrush_newbie polycounter lvl 10
Hi All

I`ve created around 300 rocks randomly placed on a seabed using paint effects but I need to tidy them up ie delete hidden faces below the seabed.

Any suggestions for how to do this? as booleans wont work (as usual).

Thanks

Replies

• Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Can you give us some screenshots? More info at all? How are these rocks constructed and how is the seabed constructed?
  • zbrush_newbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush_newbie polycounter lvl 10
    Actually, i`ve decided to use instancing of the rocks in the end to save memory and to create the lods. Going to take longer to place them but it`ll be more efficient that way.

Thanks
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Why won't boolean work? Try making all the rocks part of the same object first (combine). Are you using Max or Maya?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Maya booleans are terrible, they break 99% of the time. I would just merge them all into one object. Make sure said object is selected in object mode.
    Then go to the top view turn on display>polygons>backface culling, go to faces mode, select everything using lasso, invert selection, now you should have the faces facing away selected, just hit delete and voila.
    If there is too many faces selected and you are deleting faces you can still see you can shrink selection before deleting.