Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stafford nui student, new to zbrush

hello, i am new to this site and quite new to zbrush also. im currently sculpting a female character for a module at uni. and advice or general comments will be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

brandi-marie

zbrushprogress04.jpg
zbrushprogress01.jpg

Replies

• brandi-marie
    zbrushprogress07.jpg
    zbrushprogress08.jpg

im currently having some trouble with the form of the four-arm muscle definition, its quite a tricky area to me, especially on a female.

also, just to point out, as some people don't like this red material. i have to use it as i have 'meirs-irlyn' syndrome (related to my dyslexia) and using the white/gray material is difficult for me to see as there is too much glare to it, and can be quite painful on my eyes!
  • Phil101
    Get rid of red wax unless you want to drive Dave round the bend :)

The bags under the eyes for example look off when they are probably fine, its just how that awful shader works. What references are you using for muscle form? it would be good to see further progress on the arms and on the back when you take those lessons forward.

You have gone for a T-pose and if your project brief is the same as last years it will mean having to pose the character with a biped at the end. In future if the character has to be animated its best to go for an A-pose so you can prepare deformation a little easier around the lat muscles and shoulders.
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
    Anatomy, Anatomy, Anatomy. That's my advice!

Make sure you are using lots of reference images and constantly looking at them to make sure you are not just making up muscle groups of just positioning them wrong. The key I find to sculpting it too build it up in layers working on the musculature first and then skin later. A good book to read on what you are doing is Scott Spencer's digital sculpting: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/9597218/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/Product.html?searchstring=Scott+Spencer&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

As for working in Zbrush:-

> Always work from the lowest subdivision and before you even think about the sub div button, make sure you have work as much as you possible can from the current division.

> Use more than just the standard brush! there are loads of great tools that ship with the package plus loads more you can download from the interwebs - a favourite of mine is "clay buildup" set to around about 10-15 intensity.

>When building muscle try to keep you brush stroke in the direction the muscles are going.

As for your project - if you get stuck or go a week without showing your work to anyone (be it lectures or a place like Polycount) don't be afraid to ask. The worst anyone will say is your work is bad, and if they do just strive to make it better! - character modelling has a huge learning curve so keep at it :)

Now, where was I? ah yes, your model!

Over all its looking ok. The areas I would watch are:

The back, shoulder blades and bum need attention
    The forearm (it bows oddly)
    The hands will need a fair bit of work (beef them up abit, even though your character is female no one I have seen has fingers that pointy - The thumb especially).
    The lower jaw, the lips look good, though something is off about the jaw and cheek that makes it look gaunt..
    Oh and the collar bone, it is tiny and sits a little wrong across the chest.

I hope this helps? I look forward to seeing it develop :)
  • brandi-marie
    lol @ myself...i thought this post had been deleted! im terrible with forums etc and admittedly a noob whos brain is utter chaos most of the time!

anyway, thanks for the advice guys. iv found that using this grey colour is much easier on my eyes than white so im using this instead of the red material.

so, here is my latest progress. im still having some trouble with the forarm, however i think it has improved. got tons of reference images, looking at the skeleton and muscle anatomy also. i still havnt progressed to the wrist and hand yet. i think its odd because when the arm is in the T position, the wrist is twisted more than would be in a more natural stance. also, to me the forarm looks way to thin, but then it still looks odd if i bulk it out a bit!

pc01.jpg
    pc02.jpg
    pc03.jpg
    pc04.jpg

ahhh, just looked at the colar bones, think they are too high