Home Technical Talk

Problems with scaling and importing correct scale

Ive been having some problems lately with assets scaling improperly in cryengine. I have my 3ds max set to units-meters, and i always scale the asset to the correct size before i export. However, when i get into cryengine, the asset is always a lot smaller than what it is supposed to be, but then if i try to rescale in cryengine, it only gets a little bit bigger and then resets itself. If i go back to max and try to increase the size and then export out the new nodes, the scale wont change unless i rename the asset and export it as something different. I dont know if im doing something wrong or if cryengine is just being tedious.

is there an easier way to scale my objects in cryengine without it reseting to its original scale size?

it seems that when i make any physical changes to the model in max, i can just re-export the same set up and it will change in CE, this always works except when i change the scale? is there something im not doing right?

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I have my 3ds Max set as Generic Units. The System Unit Setup is then 1 Unit = 1.0 centimetres.

As for the scaling, does the scaling "reset" in CE when you select the object again with the scale tool active? Because that resets it for me, so if I want to select an object that has already been scaled I select it with the move tool active, then switch to the scale tool.

As for having to rename the node, etc; you should press "Reload" on your Brush Perameters; or just delete it and undo.
  • Sharky85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i think changing the units and hitting reload in CE is working, thanks for the tip!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Just had this issue for around 2 hours scouring the web, lots of people resolving it by reloading but it wasn't working for me at all.
    But I finally found a solution, I needed to reset the Xform before exporting.

Sorry for the big bump, I want to get this documented for anyone else who might have this problem in the future.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Just had this issue for around 2 hours scouring the web, lots of people resolving it by reloading but it wasn't working for me at all.
    But I finally found a solution, I needed to reset the Xform before exporting.

Sorry for the big bump, I want to get this documented for anyone else who might have this problem in the future.

Thank you, of all the things this was it as I had the same problem. To think I do it all the time too.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Wish I found this thread a bit earlier, I could have helped you guys..

You need to do Reset Xform on every mesh/object at the end that you directly scale, and not via the sub-tools like vertex,poly,etc. I would suggest you to do reset xform on every model at the end, when you're done, cuz it prevents possible errors :P And sure is sure ^^

A side Tip: I noticed that when you've already scaled an object in CE and let's say you've changed it to 3, you might already have noticed strange happenings when you try to increase it's size to 4. The size it will show will be 12, and not the one you might think.. I guess this is an bug from CE, it multiplies the numbers after the first scaling, so if you don't reset it and change it back, you need to consider this fact. So wether you reset it to 1, deselect and change it again to the number of your choice, or you remind that it multiplies! (for the 3 it would be 1.33 to get the 4 as example, that's at least what I've noticed).
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Measurement+Reference
    And reset your x forms like said above. Sometimes that doesn't work if you just use it in the modifier panel, so use the one in the utilities menu.