Home General Discussion

Will you work something, that you don't enjoy or want to work

I really want to ask other opinions from you guys. Where i live, we don't have game industry or studios, which i want to work and be 3d modeler. We have a VFX studio here, very large, and work only on blockbusters. Yesterday i was there, and because i am interest in 3D, they told me that, they don't do 3D at all, only, matchmoving, roto, matte painting, composting. And they told me that, many guys who worked there, do now 3d modeling, some of the major VFX houses in the world. And in this summer, if i want i go go there for 5 months training as matchmove? Are you going to accept this offer?
How the hell i can train my self 3d modeling, if i don't do that all the day?

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nothing wrong with trying it, you might be surprised to find you actually enjoy it.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    imho, the fun, at work, comes 80% from the co-workers/work conditions, and 20% from the actual stuff, you work on
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    lefix wrote: »
    imho, the fun, at work, comes 80% from the co-workers/work conditions, and 20% from the actual stuff, you work on

Agreed. I worked in a restaurant kitchen for 4 years fulltime, and i hated the actual work, but i enjoyed work because of who I worked with. It was actually fun, because of them.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    If you don't have any other place to work. Do it.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you interested in LEARNING 3D or Getting a Job as a 3D Modeler?

If learning then no, id learn on my own instead

If looking for a job involving 3D then still no
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-NLlwzfOM"]Bashar: Finding your Highest Excitement - YouTube[/ame]

Follow your excitement and you'll be supported. It sounds crazy but it all works out. I quit my job and just do whatever I want now and it somehow supports me.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    just going to mirror what everyone has pretty much said already. if it interests you, go for it.

I worked towards games since i was a kid, but somehow i'm working in medical training sims now and having a blast doing it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Kuledo wrote: »
    .....How the hell i can train my self 3d modeling, if i don't do that all the day?

its easy 128967707503668504.jpg
    i find it weird you are wanting a job doing 3d in order to learn 3d. In my experience you learn to do something and then get the job. I taught myself sitting at home in my bedroom on the computer every night when i got home from my job as a burger cook. I spent every minute i was not working or sleeping on my computer learning to do this.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. Yes i want to get job as 3D modeler, but in that studio they dont do 3D at all. maybe they do, but i don't think that i will get training there.

So how do you guys, train yourself after 10h work? Aren't you tired from work, and want a little bit rest, and chill your head off?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I worked in a marketing and design studio for 2 years, they didnt do any 3D until I arrived and showed them what we can achieve. I did competitions and stuff after work to keep up with the games industry but yes that is tiring and now Ive been working in games for about 2 years so the path to your goal may not always be straight but keep working towards it and showing people what you can do for them and it should work out.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to learn something, you make the time. I've found it's as simple as that. Mornings, evenings, weekends, whatever it takes. Make the time.

You make time for other things, right? Watching TV? Playing games? Reading?

When we decide something is important, we somehow find time to do it. Decide that learning modeling is important to you and time will appear. :)
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you guys. Yes i want to get job as 3D modeler, but in that studio they dont do 3D at all. maybe they do, but i don't think that i will get training there.

So how do you guys, train yourself after 10h work? Aren't you tired from work, and want a little bit rest, and chill your head off?

I work 12 hrs a day, 4 or 5 days a week at a job that I hate but it pays well and I have a family to provide for. I'm away from home from 4:30am to around 5pm, after dinner with the family I work on improving my 3D skills from around 7pm to 10/11pm. It sucks and I don't get very much sleep but I believe that it will be worth it when I finally earn a position at a game studio.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11

It's usually the kind of stuff most do for fun in their freetime. So, yes.

Kind of like learning how to play a music instrument. It can be frustrating at the start, but once you get to a certain level you'll enjoy it.

But I don't see anyone hiring a 3D modeler who doesn't know how to model.