Home Technical Talk

baking question...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
If I have seperate meshes and just overlap each other would this bake correctly?

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You need to be more specific. I think you are referring to what most people try to fix by exploding their bake (Or material based ray collision). Correct?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhhh, I dont understand your terminology. Im rrrealy new at baking normal maps, as in this is my first attempt. I mean like seperate objects that aren't cut out of echother. they overlap but are not "sewn" together.

bakingquesti.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    You need to be more specific. I think you are referring to what most people try to fix by exploding their bake (Or material based ray collision). Correct?

Oh I think I get it. so if Its not exploded the normals wont be correct? Sorry, im just trying to wrap my head around this.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Oops, I didn't see when you first replied. If I understand you correctly, you have multiple high-poly objects and you want them to bake into one lowpoly mesh without having to stitch them together?

If that is the case, that will work, but for the lowpoly to 'see' them you will need to add each of them into the list of source-meshes in your Projection modifier.

This is different from what I was originally talking about with exploded bakes, that has to do with avoid crosstalk between separate high-poly pieces and their respective low-poly pieces.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok. However, I dont understand how to add them to the list of source meshes in the projection modifier...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RJBonner wrote: »
    Ah, ok. However, I dont understand how to add them to the list of source meshes in the projection modifier...

You can do it either through the source list in the projection modifier, there should be a button to "add" or "select". Or, you can do it through the RTT interface when you go to "pick" your highpoly, simply select multiple objects.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, ill research that.