Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Doug Kavanagh | Environment Artist

Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
Banners_Portfolio_Gateway.jpg

Hey everyone! After finishing up my last project I finally got around to redesigning my site and wanted to share it with everyone. Hopefully it's more streamlined and easier to navigate than my last design :)

I'm also looking for work, so if someone has an environment opening(paid work only and preferably full-time), I'd like to hear from you!

kavanagh_doug@yahoo.com

Replies

• Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Wow man, looking awesome. Quick note, the link to your 2D section seems broken.

EDIT: nevermind, didn't see the "coming soon". Fantastic work :)
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *bump*

@ suburbbum

No problem, it should be up pretty soon! Btw, thanks for the kind words :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick work Saya.

I would personally have the bio and contact as another page that you can access via the nav bar. Would give you more room for the images, and allow them to be centered.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean, great feedback man! I took your advice and moved the sidebar elements up top, freeing up a lot of space for my images. I've also removed my bio for now since it was getting a bit crowded up top, but might add it back later.

site_preview.jpg
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Admirable stuff! Forgotten Keep is definitely my personal favourite, and I was happy to see you show us an image featuring texture maps on their own. Those always interest me. Wonderful painterly style that balances excellently between polished and 'rough'. I like the boldness of your brush strokes. :):thumbup:
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Really great work, i like the layout, i think i might steal that layout at some point.
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your portfolio is like sex.. awesome looking and i wish i could be doing it .... but i dream... dreeeeaaammm......

now that i said that, you dont have any props?
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    wow, I love it!! That forgotten keep scene is fantastic and your textures across all projects are beautiful! Nice one!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    you might want to change the abbadon font, it's really overused and quite recognizable.

That template looks really good, is this kind of result easy to achieve or did you have to tweak it a lot?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    What a great portfolio! Your works are really excellent, man. I like the simplicity and clarity of navigation and layout too. Very professional. Good job! :)
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    ohh awesome works... the stylized environment looks simple awesome..
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Thank you for the positive feedback, it's very encouraging

Nina I. Thank you! I love seeing fellow artists texture flats too, so I'm more than happy to share my own :)

Thegodzero Thanks man! You can steal my layout any day :D! Seriously, I'm gonna share my blogger setup for it below. It's nothing special, but if someone can learn something from it, awesome!

Ack Master Haha, thank you, I think :P Yeah, I've got all kinds of props, populating my environments :D I guess I forgot to post the benches, torches, candles, etc didn't I?

jsargent Thanks!

Blaisoid Thank you and good point about that font..I just really wanted something similar to Blizz's D3 font and it was the closest thing I could find on such short notice. About my template and to make tgz's layout thievery easier, I've outlined what I did below :)

First off, it's based on the Awesome Inc. template that everyone knows. So it's not even mine to begin with :O All I did was change the layout to the basic, full body layout with no sidebars. (courtesy of Sean's suggestion) Next up, I opted out of using sequential blogger posts to share my work, instead I used multiple Pages to house my separate projects. Next I made some project banners to link my visitors to their respective projects. After I was happy with the layout, it was just a bit of tinkering with nailing down a color scheme I could live with.

Here's a few pics to help explain

Blogger_Layout_A.jpg

If you want your tabs up top, just change Show pages as to 'Top tabs'

Blogger_Layout_B.jpg

jramauri Thanks! Check out my totally awesome tutorial above to uncover the secrets of my folio's layout :P

cmtanko Thanks!