Home Technical Talk

subsurface scatter maps

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
How do you bake subsurface scatter maps? I highly doubt theyre made 100% by hand, but i have no idea how to bake one.

Replies

• equil
    depends on how your sss works.
    there's the old inverse inverted ao trick where you invert your normals, bake ao, and invert the resulting map.
    there's the thickness map, which xnormal can bake out.
    there's the curvature map, which i think xnormal can bake too.
    there are some other possibilities but i think these are the closest to whatever you might be looking for.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Not 100% sure, but if you follow equil's suggestion those maps can give you a good start to paint out the rest.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    equil wrote: »
    depends on how your sss works.
    there's the old inverse inverted ao trick where you invert your normals, bake ao, and invert the resulting map.
    there's the thickness map, which xnormal can bake out.
    there's the curvature map, which i think xnormal can bake too.
    there are some other possibilities but i think these are the closest to whatever you might be looking for.

yep i think thatll cut it
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i use 2 things, the inverted AO map generated form a HP with inverted face normals.

than i got a script in maya that i run on the HP model, that dose curvature and saves it to the vert colour that i later bake out.

find i get better results using the r7_vertCurveture script in maya over a curvature map in xnormal.
  • spider2544
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2544 polycounter lvl 11
    I cant seem to get that inward facing AO technique to work out in Mayas Batch Bake(MentalRay) does anyone have some settings that work using Maya, or Xnormal?

I checked on Colins website and hes only got settings for Max
    http://colinbarrebrisebois.com/categ...ce-scattering/

Equil i using Curvature maps would only do convexity and concavity which isn't the same as approximating thickness at all.
    CurvatureMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=vertcurvature_rebb.jpg

I cant seem to get any sort of accurate results out of Xnormal using the thickness map either does anyone have some settings that work as well as the AO technique from Colin that would work in Xnormal or maya?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You need to calculate the distance in xNormal manually in Max/Maya, etc, first, read the Help file.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Could have used the search function. There was already a thread on this recently with some good info: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1514048&postcount=1
  • spider2544
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2544 polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You need to calculate the distance in xNormal manually in Max/Maya, etc, first, read the Help file.

I can bake an AO map just fine normaly, the problem is with the stock settings it just comes out as pure black because no rays are cast to the inside of a water tight object.

I think Max is using a completely different method of AO than Maya and Xnormal which allows for it to generate AO on a water tight inverted object. I cant find anyway to make Xnormal or maya do it properly

Could have used the search function. There was already a thread on this recently with some good info: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1514048&postcount=1

Sorry my Link didn't actually work,in my original post this one should
    http://colinbarrebrisebois.com/category/subsurface-scattering/

that goes to the guy who developed the original shader used in frostbyte 2 which the guy here on polycount did his version of for UDK, I'm aware of the methods used in Dices white paper, and in it, the settings are only able to work in max far as i can tell, i'm wondering if there's a method that can do it in maya or xnormal.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I was talking about the Curvature map, not AO, since inverted AO map's have been around since (for Max) Polyboost came along.

So no idea about Maya or xNormal, but last I checked, xNormal doesn't allow for an inverted bake unless you specifically get tweaking with certain things.