Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face the Day - A ZBrush head each day.

SiegePerilous
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
IF YOU WANT TO SUGGEST A PIECE OF REFERENCE ART FOR ME TO SCULPT...PLEASE DO IT!

Going to commit to doing a bust a day for a month, then I'll see if I want to keep going or do something else. Because I do way more work with deadlines.

3/3/12 - 4/2/12

***My plan***

I'll either make a new bust or work on one that I made that I want to keep making better. It might be based on tightly or loosely on reference or just out of my imagination.

***Suggestions***

IF YOU WANT TO SUGGEST A PIECE OF REFERENCE ART FOR ME TO SCULPT...DO IT!

I'm going to try to have as much variety as possible.

***Critique***

If you want to critique me that would be greatly appreciated. I may return and make my own or suggested fixes or may just move on to the next ones. I realize these may have many things that could be fixed given more time, but I'm glad to hear what could be fixed anyway.

Thanks!

Here's the sketch I made yesterday.

3/3/12
Reference: Sean Young, Blade Runner (1982)

33seanyoungturns.jpg

33seanyoung34pics.jpg

Thoughts: Female heads are bloody hard compared to male heads. Trim Dynamic was really useful in polishing the face and getting nice shadow planes, hPolish not so much. That neck silhouette needs to come up under the jaw. Definitely a huge step forward from my last female head (matthewgriebner.blogspot.com). Didn't spend much time on the hair yet, it could use some work.

Also here are some past heads I've made.

Rhino Legionaire

403249_2632622137961_1327644121_32358429_1990006556_n.jpg

407604_2632621977957_1327644121_32358428_1082840006_n.jpg

Crazed Rabbit

402064_2641657083829_1327644121_32361590_474685183_n.jpg

404426_2641656763821_1327644121_32361588_1534157701_n.jpg

And the reference for today is...

Wilme Pelin - 7th Saga

wilmeal4.jpg

1521134-olvan_super.jpg

Replies

• SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3/4/12 Wilme Pelin, 7th Saga

34wilmepelin34f.jpg

34wilmepelinf.jpg

34wilmepelin34top.jpg

No idea what I'm going to make tonight...
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3/5/12 The Archduke

35thearchduketurns.jpg

35thearchduke34s.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Do a sculpt of Ricky.
  • defco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defco polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for crits on my female head, it got a lot better.

I like the rabbit a lot, great expression.

Replicant Sean Young could use some more work. I think it is the eyes that you need to capture well to make him look more like her. Narrow the neck, widen mouth and nose a bit. the hairline is off too, yours is much higher. Jawline in front view could be be softer, now it's looking too manly : p

I hope it helps, keep going! :)
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. Gimme a sculpt idea.

Ricky's probably less interesting to sculpt than you are Mitchel.

Here's 3 more. I've decided the 1980's is a goldmine for reference.

Cowboy Ninja "the 5 O'clock Shadow"

3155oclock34fun.jpg

3155oclock342all.jpg

3155oclockturns.jpg

Female Gelfling, The Dark Crystal (1982)

315gelfling34f.jpg

315gelflingturning.jpg

Gizmo, Gremlins (1984)

316gizmo34.jpg

316gizmoturns.jpg
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's great that you are trying to be productive, I did this kind of plan some time ago, but the problem with this is you never really push an art piece, you just sketch. Which is good if you just want to explore some forms that you haven't yet. But the reality is that one super accurate, realistic sculpt is worth more than 10 sketches. There is nothing wrong with sketching, but it should only serve you as a study.
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off. Motherboard is dead so this has been put off til my computer works again. I have a couple more to post but I hadn't yet transferred them to my other two drives when the motherboard died.

Wawe - I understand what you mean, but I feel like this allows me to give a much larger percentage of my time to the art itself. I don't have to do all of the parts of a model, just what I want to focus on, and I don't have to Topo anything. It also makes me a lot faster and a better sculptor I think and forces me to work every day or at least most days, whatever else is going on.

Also I've been working on my art education for 6 years. A month doesn't seem to be too much time to try this. And if I want to polish one piece that I think is really neat I can. As I said I'll work either on something new each day or on continuing to work on something I started earlier and wanted to make better. I didn't want to tie myself to only unfinished pieces.

I'm also doing other projects that will make me portfolio pieces. I'm learning to paint on the lowpoly in 3d in Mudbox and learning to sculpt hard surface through eat3d as well at the moment. I don't think I've lost too much time that has prevented me from making start=to=finish assets.
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you are right, maybe I was just assuming that you never go deeper than this. But I can see thats not the case.