Home Technical Talk

Which doesth thou thinkest isth the best for texturing?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I was wondering if you guys could share with me the app/apps u use for texturing your 3d models after unwarping UVs.I have used mudbox but it totally sucks when I am trying to paint alpha maps especially for hair/or tiny details.I always feel that Photoshop has and will always have more control when it comes to painting textures.Just need to get used to drawing textures flattened out.I could block out the diffuse textures using ZBrush and paint out the details and other maps in Photoshop.
So pls,feeleth free to recommend out of the following below which thou thinkest isth the best from thy experiences:

-Photoshop
-Mudbox
-ZBrush
-3DCoat
-Bodypaint 3D.

Replies

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    tho struggles bear little fruit but dullards bitter refreshments
    I'll yet sing the praises offf
    O'Photoshop
    L'brush

or

What you will...
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont like painting textures flat either but Photoshop is god, accept its love
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d coat is the bomb, most features and best value of pretty much any texturing / sculpting app around, kind of needs a good computer for the voxel stuff though, at least in my experience.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I like Mari, everyone I know who works in the industry used Bodypaint 3d, not sure why.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Scruples wrote: »
    I like Mari, everyone I know who works in the industry used Bodypaint 3d, not sure why.

I love mari as well, however I find I have some trouble when painting fine detail at mid or lower resolution textures. How do you deal with this? The edges of my brush strokes look aliased when I open it up in photoshop. The effect gets worse the smaller the brush size.

Other then that though. Mari is amazing. It takes some adjustments to fit it into a game asset pipeline. But overall it's increased my speed a lot.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I get some rather heavily aliased textures too, it doesn't bother me but I usually paint using extremely low opacities around 3-5% when I am using a small brush.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same thing happens in Mudbox especially when I want to draw very thin strokes or on low res models so I have to subdivide the low poly mesh,using the uv flatten doesn't help matters.
    Thats why I had to go back to Photoshop and force myself to learn how to paint oldschool style cause thats the best app so far in my opinion.I hate it but with continued practice I will get used to it.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They all either have issues with overlapping UVs, non-square maps, and/or don't support layers. Bodypaint is the best 3D paint app because it has no problems with any of those things. Its sort of old however and lacks some of the more interesting features like stencils.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Mari good for multi uv tile texturing mainly, so more used for film. i stick with mudbox cuz it is artist friendly. never tried 3dcoat tho.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Mari good for multi uv tile texturing mainly, so more used for film. i stick with mudbox cuz it is artist friendly. never tried 3dcoat tho.

Yeah I wish overlaping uvs were better supported in mari, however I will say that once you setup a workflow around the uv tiles it's still very fast.

Since you already need to offset your overlapping/mirrored uvs 1 uv tile when you bake your normal maps everything works perfectly if you just export it to mari like that. Then just apply the same image to both uv tiles and work on half your model as usual.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would admit that one of the disadvantage of painting in Photoshop is the problem with texture seams and if you want to paint lets say a tatoo that runs from a character's cheek to the chest.That would be a pain to paint in Photoshop cause of the different uvs.I have once uv mapped a character where the pieces of the character's head and body parts where scattered all over the uv tile and I took it to Mudbox for painting.There were no texture seams problemo at all.
    If only they could make the painting of tiny details possible,3d painting would be way easier.