Home Technical Talk

Which is the best for extracting normals?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I have been using Mudbox for extracting my normal maps from high poly models before I learnt zbrush.I have also heard of xnormal,topogun as well.Some artist also use Maya to extract their normal map as they feel it gives better results than other apps.
I am thinking xnormal is the way to go to get the best quality normal maps.What thinkest thou? and what doesth thou feelth is the best app for extracting normal maps?

Replies

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I used Zbrush for quite some time (organic stuff). Problem is, you need to project the highpoly to the lowpoly and that causes the lowpoly to change, what can be really bad for the silhouette. Well, Zbrush never gave me artifacts or errors in my nornal maps.
    Now, I use Xnormal. It needs some fixing and retouching from time to time, but that´s ok.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nothing gives better results, it all depends on the software and how well they're synched together for the tangent.

And to be fair, ZB is the last place you should baking anything. It's slow, bends normals, and doesn't normalize them, meaning any harsh dents or bent details will actually bake out as almost black, which is a big no-no, in Normal Maps.

For example, baking a PERFECT Normal Map for UDK is next to impossible since it doesn't have a baker that is synched with it, same with Max, the only think good about Max's baking is rendering it in Scanline/MR, but that's about it. Viewports have issues.

Cryengine on the other hand has it's own plugin for XSI and Max so you can bake it's own correct normal maps.

xNormal, Blender are pretty much synched, they will have perfect normal maps when your uses one to the other, both offline and online renders.

So yeah, it's not a simple case of 'black and white'. You need to know which software you're aiming for at the end of the day before baking normal maps, that's how you get perfect normal maps, or close to it.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    For example, baking a PERFECT Normal Map for UDK is next to impossible since it doesn't have a baker that is synched with it, same with Max, the only think good about Max's baking is rendering it in Scanline/MR, but that's about it. Viewports have issues.

I would like to say, that the best possible normals in UDK come from max with Qualified Mode on and using FBX with Tangents and Binormals exported(for static objects). Thus making max the winner in my book for baking normals for udk. (unless maya has a similar qualified normals system of course)
  • AlexLeighton
    XNormal is my pick of the bunch, it requires almost no set up and has always given me good results as long as my meshes are done properly.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.I checked out xnormal website download section.There are two links:
    -Download xNormal v.3.17.9
    -Download xNormal v.3.17.9(MIRROR)

What happens if one downloads the mirror one?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ..everything will be mirrored and you'd have to flip your vertex channels to Y++!

(a mirror is just an alternate download location for the same file)
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,I have installed XNormal.There were some other programs that installed with it like XVid and x264vfw.Are they necessary to work with XNormal?

In 3dmax,what are the shortcuts to navigate the scene like in Maya you have:

Alt +left click -rotate camera

and so on...
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Xvid and X264vfw, video codecs that xnormal uses to record inside the 3d viewer?

Alt+middle mouse = rotate
    Hold middle mouse = pan
    Scroll middle mouse up/down = zoom in/out

If you press E with a slected object, vertex, polygon or edge, you will then rotate around that selection.

Those should be default shortcuts.