Home General Discussion

An Introduction

Hello all, my name is WarZombie, I'm a college student about to start taking the serious Game Design classes at UCF starting next Fall (Been taking prerequisites until this point), and I figured that it might be a good idea to get a head-start on those classes by joining this community and messing around with the software I'll be using. So I guess that leaves me with a question:

What's the best way to start this 3D modeling thing? Software to download? Tutorials to read/watch? Thanks.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Greetings and Salutations Sir WarZombie;

It is good to know that you are about to learn 3d arts / Game Design and Development professionally.

It is a common question that you've asked. Almost everyone who appears to join this community to fine tune his art skills, asks this very question.

There are various answers that you might get later on after this message is posted. But in all honesty. It completely depends on the specifics that you desire to learn.

Would you want to be a character artist, prop artist or environment artist?

Do you have a certain 3d software in mind and willingness to learn its basics?

There is no best way to learn the basics of 3d modeling / animation than to two.

Buy books entitled "Introduction to" followed by the name of the 3d software.

A free 3d modeling software that I've known so far is Blender, that you can find is on www.blender.org.

It also has the tutorial DVDs that you can buy or read the basic functions under its tutorial section.

Other softwares such as:

3ds max
    Softimage XSI
    Maya

can be bought, you can download the student version of them at http://students.autodesk.com/

You can also look in to www.pixologic.com for Zbrush which you will have to pay for, and Sculptris which you can download for free. These softwares are 2.5D Sculpting softwares that can help you bringing out further detail that can be transferred to a low resolution model.

There are other softwares used for 3d modeling such as Luxology Modo that you can search for.

Most of all. Besides blender tutorials, I found www.digitaltutors.com to be a very good website for people who are just starting to learn 3d modeling and animation.

lastly; Welcome to the polycount. Here you will find the tips and crits to fine tune your artistic skills.

I hope you enjoy your stay. :)
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello WarZombie and welcome

Agreeing with Nitewalkr you should check out the wiki
    Helps quite a bit too