Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-fi Hologram room

Hello again Polycount! A new week and a UDK new project. This time it's a Sci fi room with a fancy hologram ball in it.
The concept is used with permission from it's maker Juan Martinez Pinilla (http://kaizendesign.deviantart.com).

With this environment I hope to learn more about more advanced moving shaders (like the holo-ball), to learn to use simple particles for the dust by the lights and to get familiar with decals in UDK.

Budget is same as last time:
4x 2048x2048 materials in total max, 50 00 tris for the whole scene.

Now, without further ado, her is the concept and the first blockout:

Concept (by http://kaizendesign.deviantart.com/) :

tech_environment_by_kaizendesign-d3fzgeo.jpg

My initial blockout:

hologram01.jpg

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent concept piece! I'm interested to see how this develops. The projected globe hologram will definitely shine with some particle work in Cascade.
  • Jarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With how well your last piece was done I am sure this piece will be even better. I look forward to seeing this finished.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    proportions of the block out look off compared to the concept.
    also, 4 2048's is over kill in my opinion. You could probably try to fit all of this in one or 2(at most)?
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX wrote: »
    Excellent concept piece! I'm interested to see how this develops. The projected globe hologram will definitely shine with some particle work in Cascade.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to that piece too, so saving it for last so I don't get carried away ;) And I'm looking forward to getting to learn a bit about Cascade
    Jarkis wrote: »
    With how well your last piece was done I am sure this piece will be even better. I look forward to seeing this finished.
    Well thank you! And I'll work hard not to disappoint you!
    proportions of the block out look off compared to the concept.
    also, 4 2048's is over kill in my opinion. You could probably try to fit all of this in one or 2(at most)?
    I'll do my best to change those proportions tomorrow and I'll make sure to post a picture. Been struggling a tiny bit to match the perspective of the concept, mainly getting the right hand wall to show like in the concept. Texture budget is just the maximum usage. But yes, 2x 2k's sounds reasonable.

I might as well take the chance to ask a question I've been pondering a lot these last days; How to texture the walls in this scene. Cause the material looks very tilable, so I'm torn between either making unique texture for the whole wall section (one wall pice with trim and window) or if I should use smaller tiling textures. Few materials and unique details VS more materials but better resolution.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    nice choice of concept :]
  • LW3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LW3
    Gorgeous. You know what always gets me: things like the cables in the ceiling. I am forever fighting to get ropes and power lines to hang right.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice choice of concept :]
    Thank you.
    LW3 wrote: »
    Gorgeous. You know what always gets me: things like the cables in the ceiling. I am forever fighting to get ropes and power lines to hang right.
    There will be cables, I promise!
    Huh, interesting to see this concept again. It would take some digging to find the other one I've seen, but I followed a thread to this same concept a while back. You're blockout looks pretty solid (from an amateur point of view), so you may just give the other guy a run for his money (if anyone remembers who that was?).
    It's an interesting concept, so I'm not surprised it's been done before. Although personally I'd like to stay away from other peoples versions of it for now, so that what I make will be truly my own take on it.

Now time for a small update: Most of the walls are in and UV'ed with place holder textures. Tomorrown will be adding the last few props (the lights and the doughnuts for the ball), followed by a quick lighting and then I'll start to fix the textures. Hopefully the scale is better now too, since before it was a bit too low.

progress04.jpg
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small progress update. Nearly all modelling done now, just a few more cables to add. Then I'll start replacing the place holder textures and working on some nice lighting. But here is the scene as it looks now, with place holder textures on everything at least.

progress06.jpg
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another night, another small update. Added the last cords and the weapons to the racks (ate a fair part of my budget) and started working on the textures.

I'm having a hard time getting the lighting to move in the right direction and would really appreciate any advice on the topic!

progress08.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought that I would post a "hologram" project that I done last year!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQHteBPZKA"]Science Fiction Hologram Portfolio - YouTube[/ame]
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I really dig the concept, Sorken and your scene is well on its way to replicating that :)

*Deep breath*

With regards to the overall colouring of the scene, you've got it pretty close - with grungy greens and greys. Although your scene appears to have a fairly uniform value overall.
    If you blur your vision and look at your render, aside from the globe and strip-lights, the rest of the scene blends into one.

progress08.jpg
    tech_environment_by_kaizendesign-d3fzgeo.jpg

Looking at the concept and doing the same thing, there is lots of information that you can still see - the lit up left wall, the projectors for the globe and the reflective floor, mainly. There is a lot more contrast between light and dark.

Try putting in the top and bottom hologram projector lights before moving on with lighting though, as adding two extra light actors in the middle of your scene will impact everything else.

Something that I noticed is that the ceiling is pretty damn dark in the concept, whereas your roof is picking up a lot of bounce light from things arout the scene.
    Firstly, you could try lowering the diffuse bounce intensity of the light, much like in your last project (World Properties > Lightmass > Diffuse Boost). Then, again, with this lowered increase the intensity of your lights.

The main problem here is where the lights are actually projecting. It's hard to see initially, but the strip-lights in the concept are actually acting more like spotlights than tubes emitting in all directions.
    This is evident in how the ones on the ceiling are aimed at the centre of the floor yet don't give much light to the ceiling. Similarly, the lights on the floor only seem to be illuminating the walls, rather than pointing straight up.

Perhaps covering the top and bottom of your tubes to blinker them a bit more - like in the original image - would help (make sure to have the Material two-sided). You could try angling them a bit more towards the centre of the floor too, as well as making the ones lower down aim at the walls.
    (You might still run into a problem with this though, as Emissive lighting from Static Mesh objects currently only acts like a point light - but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it ;) )

Next, while I think your bloom on the tube-lights is pretty close to the original, the concept also has a subtle greeny lens-flare effect on every light source. This is most prominent on the hologram projectors in the centre. As well as this, it seems that a lot of the concept's bloom brightness is from particles and mist reflecting a lot of the light around the fixtures. Just something to keep in mind.

Lastly, materials in the concept appear to have higher Specular values than yours. It doesn't appear that you have any specular set on your objects - or if you have, the lighting build is washing it out.
    If this is the case, it might be that your Normal Maps are being undersold by the bounce lighting. To increase the intensity of Normals after a lighting build, increase the 'Indirect Normal Influence' (World Properties > Lightmass > Indirect Normal Influence) from its default of 0.3 to about 0.7 or 0.8.
    Be careful not to push this too high though, as it can start to look a bit unrealistic.

I'll hold off any other critiques until you get further as I'm well aware that this is a WIP :D

I hope that's helpful!

Edit: Also, that's pretty impressive @darthwilson!
    Especially the Cascade implementation.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the lighting tips and the feedback SirCalalot!

@darthwilson: I'll check out your hologram as soon as I've tested the idea I have for my own or when I get stuck.

Small update this time; Half decent materials on everything, except the glass in front of the weapons, but that will hopefully get better. Hot my first version of hologram shader up. Will start lighting it tomorrow so hopefully can get a better resemblance then.

progress09.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good.

I think that it might help you out before lighting if you brighten the materials up a touch too.
    The walls in the original image aren't naturally that dark - it's the shadows and lighting that bring their overall colour down. Remember that a Diffuse texture is essentially what colour the material will look when fully lit.

Tell me if I cease being helpful and start being annoying! :D
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crank up multipliers for lights, half their indirect lighting contribution, crush shadows in postprocessing, add reflection maps to materials to get that kool metal look.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

@SirCalalot: No worries, you are far from annoying!

@Sandro: I have reflection maps on most materials, but currently not showing so much. And I'll look into your other suggestion.

Another update. Made some progress with the lighting and played around a bit in Cascade for the first time. Next up: decals, then more light.

progress11.jpg
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Sweet looking job so far. I'm currently working on my first level in UDK, and will try to post WIP if I find more time to get everything together.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I`m thinking the floor grates need to be WAY shinier. In the concept, they reflect the entire scene- giving the scene some of its edge.

Also I don't know if white is the best choice for those lights with all the bloom. Giving them a slight greenish tint (in the bloom falloff) might make for a better vibe.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever happened to this anyhoo?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    great work maybe, just add a little more detail to the wall textures but it's looking great, anyhow :)
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what happened to this thread...
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    Whatever happened to this anyhoo?
    Dilkesy wrote: »
    what happened to this thread...