Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Beksinski Towers

Heres a new project I'm working on, I'm recreating a piece of artwork by Zdzisław Beksiński.

Heres what I have so far:
beksinski_udk_samgrice_01.jpg

And heres the original artwork:
beksinski_udk_samgrice_02.jpg

C&C welcome!

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    wow this is great, I love seeing crazy concepts likes this, can't wait to see it finished :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's horrible and amazing all at the same time. What a great piece of art...
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Man! Good start!

I'd say push the contrast of the bodies more, in the original artwork they have more of a skeletal look/deeper shadows between the bones.

Your sky has much more definition in the coulds than the artwork, yours looks more lika a normal sky and not as misty/foggy/hellfire. Push the ambient lighting more towards red, and your fog is white, make it more orange/yellow.

You also swapped the buildings in the bg to cliffs, I guess thats a descision you made, but hen you loose out on those small lights in the background, which are pretty cool.

just a few opinions : ))
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    cool, ever since i saw that "island of the dead" environment thread i hoped more guys would start recreating paintings instead of making another human revolution scene.

beksiński is a great choice, his paintings have such a strong atmosphere.
    i hope you're gonna add buildings instead of rocks since those tiny lights in the fog create focal points that aren't present on your scene. and without them there's nothing to encourage eyes to look at foggy background.

the scale seems kinda off. the original area feels much bigger, with buildings being placed further away than your rocks are.

also, i'd change the fog color to brownish like on original.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    awesome concept and great start man. creepy as fuck :)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    This is gr8, there's a lot of cool touches while preserving the original content. I'd also try and push the wood-brown more while toning down the "chemical"-orange-sky. It might help create a more natural feel to the atmosphere, as eerie as it already is
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Will look into the background buildings, but they are going to be tricky to pull off as they are quite 'sketchy' and undefined in the original painting.

I also want to get the look of the arms to be closer to the painting but its proving difficult...
  • Fartuess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm lurking this forum for a very long time, but now when i see somebody is modeling Beksinski's painting (what i want to do in future, when i gain decent organic sculpting skills) just have to log in and say what i think :)

At the begginig i want to say that you've made great work already. Undeniably above my own skills.

Color of the bodies should be closer to color of actual towers what will make it look like integral part of structure (like it is on painting). Problem of low contrast can be handled by rim lighting shader (actually arms in first tower are lighted in way like rim lighting works). Bodies should be more grotesque - thinner and longer arms, bigger heads and bony hands(like they were mummified and stay in those towers for ages). Try to pack them more densily. In center tower hand are covering surface of the tower in that way it's hard to see wood.

Also, as said before, Lighting, fog (maybe a couple fog sheets also) and sky can be improved a lot. Shadows are too sharp in your adaptation. Some custom post processing would be a good idea. Some kind of strange depth of field effect would be good for it(look how the towers on backgound looks like).

Buildings fit there better than mountains. They give feeling that those bodies came from them and those towers actualy are in some kind of square.

Spider webs on painting are darker, thicker and stuck together.

And not forget about antennas. They make it look even more sick and out of place ;)

Keep it up. I want to see how it will look like when you finish it :)
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've been trying to keep the numbers of arms down as to control the poly count (its supposed to be game art after all), but i do have a few extra ones as individual static meshes so i could add a few more.

not sure about the TV antennas, might give it a try but thats the one bit that i dont think works in the original painting.

I was also planning on adding some gravestones to the floor, similar to some of his other work.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome idea, looks great in 3d! Puts me in mind of the old Doom 1/2 levels :D
  • Hellstern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Great piece.
    And i totaly agreed with PogoP, it has the mood
  • BB-88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing. I was hoping to recreate one of Beksinski's piece in my own time soon, really admire his work.

You've done a great job capturing the mood, well done!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man, I LOVE Beksinski's work!
    You're really on the right track here, but there are a few points that others have pointed out you should be mindful of. Also try to make sure you tie the colors together correctly, the sky seems a bit detached from the rest now.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I believe the buildings in the background are as important as the foreground. They are extremely creepy in their design and with a few lights on here and there, they tell a story. Are the ones in the building the ones that created these crypts? Or was it something else? It makes your mind wonder about the scene and contributes vastly to the final product. I feel that leaving them out because they are "tricky", would be a crime to this amazing painting. This goes for the little wirey details that are all over the place too.

Great stuff and a great piece of work to create an environment on.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the arms are too bright they pop out too much but in general : pretty fucking dope ! excellent choice of motive too !
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest:
    beksinski_udk_samgrice_03.jpg

I darkened the arms and made them high contrast, added buildings in background and tweaked skybox, effects and lighting, along with various other tweaks.

A lot closer to the painting now, not sure how much further i'm going to go with it...
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    It looks really good, it reminds me of world war 1, all that trench stuff
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    God damn that's so awesome, this is what Doom 4 should look like right here. Reminds me so much of the original Doom, I want to play this! haha. No crits, just, amazing work, thanks for sharing :)
  • NewmanD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its awesome!!!
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Simmo wrote: »
    God damn that's so awesome, this is what Doom 4 should look like right here. Reminds me so much of the original Doom, I want to play this! haha. No crits, just, amazing work, thanks for sharing :)

This x 9,000.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, no critique at all. Only sex. Seriously, this is the best shit I've seen in a while. Kudos for excelent subject, was looking through his works just today!
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats fuckin sweet... add the antenna perhaps?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Woaw, very nicely done ! :o
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    this is great, buildings turned out much closer to the painting than i thought they would. maybe the glow on windows is too bold but it ain't that bad.
    bodies look way better now, they're really creepy.

can you post some screens from different angles?
  • Fartuess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see big improvement here :). Very glad to see it.

Throwing some ideas:

Tint of scene still isn't warm enough. In painting it's very hard to find greys. In your scene grey is dominating (simple color grading should do the trick)
    About buildings. There aren't monolitical enough. On painting they have ridicolous number of levels. Also the lights can be smaller and with less bloom.

About high triscout. Manualy created LODs can solve this issue. Fog is so dense that nobody will notice that most of them all gone or baked onto decal plane.

And i have one small idea. This scene is just asking to use lightmass :)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Cool idea! Love it. I think though you need some rim lighting on the skeletons to make them pop out a bit more like they are in the painting.
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks for the love guys!

I'll load up some asset breakdowns soon.

for the record, the arms are using quite a heavy rim lit material already and then lighting uses lightmass.
  • Fartuess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. If it is using lightmass, then i suggest playing a little with lights properties associated with lightmass (like size of lightsource, number of bounces, color modification after bounces, intensity change after bounces and other. I haven't played with lightmass myself, so i can't tell precisely how to achieve right effect but i belive that it is possible and not hard at all). On the painting there are no sharp shadows (as i said before) and crazy setup of lightmass lights should do the trick.
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asset breakdowns:
    beksinski_udk_samgrice_04.jpg
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    SamboMambo wrote: »
    i've been trying to keep the numbers of arms down as to control the poly count (its supposed to be game art after all), but i do have a few extra ones as individual static meshes so i could add a few more.

It looks great, don't let the vert count hold you back, you're miles away from being vert limited in a scene like that. Just go crazy and make the best thing you can!

Would making LOD's benefit you in any way for this scene? Obviously in a real game it would but for a portfolio piece its probably a waste of time.

If you're really worried make the assets more modular and instance them in UDK rather than the single unique piece you have.

Anway, looks great :)
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been having a play with it a bit more, first here is the same exact scene but with the ground flattened out a bit (its waviness was doing my head in) and some colour tweaks:
    beksinski_udk_samgrice_05.jpg

And here is a new version I've just finished that has a FOV closer to the original painting (I finally got round to learning how to use matinee, boy was that NOT a fun experience!):
    beksinski_udk_samgrice_06.jpg

Not sure which I prefer, the original has more depth and maybe better overall composition, but the new one is growing on me....
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Fantastic work so far! I'm lookign at the original now, you haven't got that antenna in yet? Is it by choice? I personally think it's an important element, makes it even more sinister and adds to the mystery...
    Also, you really should try to get the edges on the arms to pop a little bit more, they blend into the wood a bit too much.
    I also notice that the orirginal paintings' ground has a softer feel to it: try doing a white fresnel effect on it, but don't use the normalmap to calculate the fresnel, just use the mesh normals. I find this often helps add a nice touch to a soft, sloping landscape.
    Also perhaps try toning down the normals on the ground a bit? It's the only bit that still looks a bit "video-gamey", save for the bloom on the windows (it's not as blurred and wide in the painting).

Damn, just the fact i'm thinking of all this feedbacks makes me realise I really want to try one of his paintings as well! Keep it up man! Imo this is the best env scene i've seen here for months, the past year even maybe :)
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Xoliul, that means a lot considering the quality of the artwork on this forum!

I'm going to give this one a break for a while, got some tutorials i need to finish and need to get a portfolio website up. Yeah i've deliberately kept the antenna out as its the only thing i don't like form the original painting. It dates the whole things and it should be more other worldly and timeless IMO...
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    It looks great but I think the glow on the windows in the back is a bit OTT. It's more subtle and the windows themselves are smaller in the painting. Depends on how close you want to get to the painting of course, it's a cool scene for sure!
  • offbeatgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic job! So well done!
    SamboMambo wrote: »
    Yeah i've deliberately kept the antenna out as its the only thing i don't like form the original painting. It dates the whole things and it should be more other worldly and timeless IMO...

I was just about to ask about that. Interesting opinion. You know, I didn't even notice until I went back to the original painting.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Great work matw, I love the detail
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    dude, i love Beksinski! Ur doin a great job! Ur buildings feel much shorter than the ones in the painting.
    Other than that, its perfect. :)
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Fantastic, I love that you fixed the contrast!