Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Suit Lady

Here is a new character I am starting for my port. Based off this concept.

I am building most of the parts out of Shadowbox then Dynamesh. It's real ugly right now.

4.png

5.png

6.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it shows a lot of promise, its rough but I think you're off to a good start.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I asked permission from Manuhell to try this as well... will be interesting to see your take. Will you do the gun and alternative helmet?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mark. I appreciate that. I like your work alot.

Ha Tenchi! His work is just too good to be left un-modeled. I saw that someone made a bust of her that was pretty good too. I have the sword and handgun blocked out. I just need to sculpt them. I plan on making the rifle and HOPEFULLY one of the helmets. Its going to be epic!

I did some work on the back parts... tackling the hard part first!

10.png
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some more work from today. Getting the gap shape in the heel was sorta a challenge... but once I did it I was thinking I should have just made it flush with the heel for the game mesh. I don't know yet.

12.png
    11.png

14.png
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Good work so far! Overall though, I think her body is MUCH slimmer in the concept, and then it's the armor that bulks her out a bit. The legs are especially beefy.

It's hard to tell from the angles you posted, but the arms seem very straight, with elbows locked. That's not too natural, and it will be better for rigging if you model with a slight bend in the elbow. The hands also need some re-evaluation - they just kind of stick out of the end of the arm, but I'm not convinced of how they are attached, definitely work up that area some more.

Even though this is just a t-pose type thing, I think you can introduce some more dynamic angles and such rather than everything being so stiff and rigid. The concept is in a very neutral pose, but still has a lot of character thanks to some dynamic flair added to the pose and anatomy, I think your model would benefit from some similar nuances.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your detailed notes. I am going to think about them and start working on some of them now. I started off with a chunkier basemesh and then adding the armor on top made her even thicker. The hands are the part I am most unhappy with... they really need some love.

Here is some of the work I did this weekend. Mainly on the body suit and back of the legs. Masking out the inner pattern was so tedious but I really like how it came out.

17b.png

16.png
    17.png
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got alot done on the lady but not quite ready to show it... In the mean time here is the belts and pouches that I am almost finished with. The gun in the holster is semi-temp.

21.png
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, big update. Bending her arms helped alot to make her feel more natural I think. I feel close to being done with the sculpt unless someone spots something. I am tempted to remove the pouch from her butt even tho its in the concept. I don't like the way it makes her silhouette look plus it covers up her derriere :) What do you guys think?

23.png
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I think I would lose the pouch on the back as it does mess up the silhouette.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, looks pretty spot on. Looking forward to the texturing ^^
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew... texturing makes me fall asleep. Here is my progress on the Polypaint. It's slightly more than blocked out. I will finishing it up in Photoshop after I render out the maps. What do you guys think of these colors? I am trying to follow the concept but I am not 100% sold on green bewbs.

24.png
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    shes looking great! her head looks a bit squashed and the transition from jaw to neck looks odd like her neck is too thick in the side view, maybe her head could do with a bit more love in general. The biggest issue I can see is proportions, the original concept has some quite wierd cool proportions whereas your model is more like a real human. Hope you can make it work as all the great shapes youve made a looking good!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew! Re-meshing this gal took me forever. So many little pieces. Here is the game mesh with the the baked maps. These maps just came out of the oven. No edits made yet.

I am really unsure which direction to take the texture in. I am sorta nervous to start.

25.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool so far! Start with your metal textures as these will probably have the biggest impact. The look you get from this will hopefully give you a better idea of how to compose the material textures.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    wowo this turned out way cooler then i expected. you defintly need to model the other 2 helmet variations in the concept for her!

also if you dont know where to go, my advise is to tint the ao´s and set them to color dodge/burn. then play around with ctrl+U on the ao layers, usually you will encounter one color combination that will pop.
    another good thing to start is to get your baked normal map into crazybump, let it create a diffuse for you, and put that as an overlay-layer into your texture.
    adds some highlights that should point out where you need to go.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know this is a real pain for you since you've just created your LP, but I think the face still looks a bit weird (maybe the cheekbones too pronounced?) I find faces one of the hardest things to do, takes a lot of study, then a lot more XD The rest looks wicked though man, really cool :D
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Hope you don't mind a paintover:
    po.jpg
    If you want to see the blending and layer styles used i'll go ahead and leave the PSD here. If you want to take any of these changes you could just do the same to your diffuse map in the appropriate areas.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1451094/po.psd
  • 5fingerdiscount
    I love it! Nice high heels for kicking some serious butt!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SCB: Thanks! Good tip. I think i will start on the armor first.

Goeddy: Haha thanks? I think? She did look pretty ugly starting out. I knew about getting some highlights with a CrazyBump displacement map but I didn't know about using the Diffuse generated from the normal. That is pretty awesome. I am definitely going to try that out.

Torch: Yea man... I have gotten a couple comments on the face. Its going to be a pain but I think it might be ok if I just use some soft selection to tweak. I still want it kind of stylized tho.

crazyfingers: Wow! Thanks man! This is awesome. I am going to download the psd and see what I can incorporate in. The headset is a pretty good idea. I think i will shift the armor more blue for sure.

5fingerdiscount: Haha yea for real. Thanks man.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures?
    I shifted the armor more blue like crazyfingers sudjested. I tweaked the face some but you probably can't tell. I still have to do the spec map but I am feeling pretty good about these colors. Any thoughts about the texture?
    27.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress sculpting the rifle.
    rifle_wip2.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I like the look of the rifle, but the forestock looks too big and fat, making it look unbalanced. Its like the right half is from an SMG and the left half is from an assault rifle. Maybe if you made the forestock shorter and more elegant it could compliment an SMG style, or else extend the shape of the rear stock and middle of the rifle to create a more typical assualt rifle look.

If you want to go for a mixed look, have a look at the Authority Machine Gun from RAGE (AMG), I think they do a good job of blending the two styles.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SCB. I do agree that it's sorta front heavy for an assault rifle. It's actually making it a tad difficult to pose with too. I am trying to follow the concept tho even if its a little weird. Thanks for the Rage link too. I didn't make it far enough in that game to see that gun.

Here is the game mesh with some WIP textures. I am trying to figure out what to do with that pinky orange.

rifle_wip3.jpg
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    May I suggest that since she is in battle uniform that she has things like camo. A bright orange gun does not make sense, its like saying here I am shoot at me.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo Now that is a good idea. I'll try it out.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Here is the posed figure with her gun. Done? I think I might be...

Any easy suggestions?

28.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good overall :) One thing I'm not sure about is the magazine(I'm assuming that's what it is). From the pic above it seems to be a wooden cargo type box :p the texture on it doesn't seem to match anything else around the model. also where the barrel meets the 'Body' of the gun, In this render, blends to closely with the background color i think. Makes the barrel appear as floating.

JMO :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking really nice! Did you extend the front of the gun? It looks really long and heavy now, especially compared to the concept. If you want to keep the gun that large I'd suggest going off concept and trying a pose where she is holding it with two hands. Also if you add some glow to the rear sight (like in the concept) it should add to the image.

When compositing the final image, you could add some variation to the background to give some sense of danger&action to compliment your character. Maybe a dark background with some redish-purple with minor lightening blue, using difference clouds (Ps), film grain, and gaussian blur. I duno, get in Photoshop and go crazy!
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I stick with my camo idea, if I have time I'll give you a crappy paintover of my ideas. But otherwise looks nice.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    HEy dude nice model you got here.
    some C&C
    + 1 on the magazine
    and there's something odd with her face, she looks scared but not really.
    and i think its a bit to shinny like plastic.
    and maybe the silencer of the gun could use some variation

again like it
    cya
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Its making me push harder.

s620ex1: Good point about the clip. I am going to fiddle with the colors and the texture intensity to see if it will read better.

SCB: Yea I did move the barrel around some. Thanks for the suggestion! I made a self illumination map for the red dot sight and her other glowy bits but it isn't voluminous so its hard to tell. I tried putting a small omni light there but it was too intense. I didn't like it.

Bertmac: Thanks for stopping by! Your new good looks awesome btw. I am working on a better expression as we speak. I think its better? Hopefully. I will move the glossyness down some too. Thanks man.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I stick with my camo idea, if I have time I'll give you a crappy paintover of my ideas. But otherwise looks nice.

I dunno, I disagree, I think you can forsake realism for a cool looking design - more so when it's not something visibly practical like a latch or a strap and is more to do with the aesthetics of fuctionality

That said, nyx, I think you need to pick a direction between realistic camo colours or bright stylized design, because at the moment it sort of sits in an uncomfortable middle ground.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Here are a couple small updates with a bigger render. They are probably too subtle to tell tho. I worked on giving her an expression which helped alot I think. I moved her hips forward some to make more of an "S" curve. I added some more spec to the gun especially around the silencer. I desaturated the clip and added different texture to it.

29.jpg

Here are a couple more views.

29b.jpg

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I am going to try and work on the other stuff soon.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really like the outcome bud. The pose is good and a nice nod to the concept but I'd like to see you have bit more fun with it. Maybe a firing stance on one knee or what have you. Just try to inject some action into it.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it doesn't look like her shoes provide her any balance. but style is a must i know.

needs a shoulder turret, she looks under-armed
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I decided I wanted to push it a little bit more. I am making one of the helmets from the concept. Early Zbrush'in

30.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with the low poly helmet and some textures.

helmet_2.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Looks Awesome!
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Haha nice, cool that you push it a lil further. Thumps up
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    That's really cool. a funny thing though, her helmet has 4 holes for the eyes, but she only has two eyes :) .
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Lephenix: Heh... I know. I like to imagine that she can switch into "stereoscopic mode" if she ever wants a headache.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha yea. Doesn't everyone? Anyways...

I tried to visit your site but it appears to be down...