Home Technical Talk

painting directly on to model in photoshop?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
i was just browsing youtube for tutorials on wrinkle sculpting in zbrush, and i ran in to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdfKt1dIOI"]IMVU 3D MODEL IN PHOTOSHOP - YouTube[/ame]

yes, i clicked the video suggestion because the thumbnail showed boobs.

I find the video quite interesting though, it seems as if she's painting on to a 3d model inside photoshop, and it automatically transfers it all in to the texture map (2d)
seems like a great way to remove seams and stuff.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This has been out since CS4 I think. You could even GoZ a model to Photoshop and paint as well.
    The camera controls are pretty bad though, and it seemed a bit unstable (at least on my machine), so personally wouldn't plan to use it for much beyond fixing seams.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applaud Adobe's effort but they never really finished it, so far it languishes in a netherworld of other failed and abandoned "paint on model" apps and plug-ins.

Like cryrid pointed out the camera controls are crazy, the lighting and materials are no where near what they should be and the brush hit detection is pretty frustrating. You would have a better time using viewport canvas in max even with all of its flaws its still better.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still on max 2009 so I'm not familiar with viewport canvas but 3D Coat has some really nice 3dpainting tools, I purchased it a few weeks ago and it has become a regular tool in my workflow.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I'll second 3D Coat, it's is very good for this type of thing, even does ppp normal and specular. The functionality is constantly being updated and improved (I'd suggest you get the latest build as there continue to be many improvements in these areas). 3D Coat has layer blending properties and manipulation similar to Photoshop, so you could probably do most of your painting in it if you wanted to, but there are strengths and weaknesses to both. I generally use 3dc for painting and photoshop for more technical things like tiling texture work, manipulation, or using photo sources.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I've never really thought about using that technique to remove seams, but I would still rather do that in ZBrush by polypainting or something.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    3DC Paint > ZB Polypaint > Max Canvas > PS 3D

PS should the last thing your try in RT model painting, the controls are just WAAY too rubbish to be useful, couple with the fact that it essentially forces you to break flow, even with a Tablet, and the only thing you will be looking forward to is painting massive dongs on your model before sending it to Adobe to show them your problem.

And no, it's not a great way to remove seams, since it will very often 'skip' around the seams if they're not high rez enough, giving your weird pixels.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Hahaha, feel the love...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought 3D Coat the other day so I fired it up after reading Ace's post and he's absolutely right. That thing is the BUSINESS. :)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    It's there in CS3, but it just won't load textures or whatever, i'm probably too dumb to use it. I still prefer Body Paint 3D, sometimes.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yeah i usually just texture like a boss in photoshop 2D, but its time consuming to do the seams so a 3d paint app can come in handy.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I actually like the 3d paint in photoshop.
    It only comes in the extended versions of cs3+.
    Cs3's was next to useless. Cs4 got a total rewrite and was decent.

I get lag on textures over 512, but my system is like 5 years old now. So take that as you will.

I have a couple of video tutorials on how to use te 3d paint in ps, as it has a bit of a learning curve and isn't specifically for game artists, but more of a general purpose tool for using 3d items in still composites.

Here's the link to my daily motion channel with the tutorials and some timelapse vids of me painting mop's goblin in ps.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/vailias
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ will check those out, haven't used it since the first iteration (and hated it, obviously)
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Check out mudbox, its pretty much a sculpting app with photoshop built in it. The stencil system in it is extremely powerful. Its also the easiest one to start with.