Home General Discussion

The Game Design Index

Hi all,

I've created a website aimed at complete newbie's to the games design scene- http://www.thegamedesignindex.com/ It's kind of an "idiot's guide" to getting started, with general overviews of the processes behind creating game assets and importing them into an engine etc.

Rather than be a comprehensive guide, this site is meant more as an easy introduction, and as such gives general tutorials on the basics before linking to far more in-depth tutorials on online.

It also directs newcomers toward the free software that is available to get them started, introducing the packages before giving the download link. Coming soon I will be expanding the site to include news articles on the workings of the industry today, as well as a series of articles on the fundamentals of games design.

When I created this website, it was directed towards myself, ten years ago. I had the initial interest in game design, but I found that while there was a wealth of information out there, finding what I needed could be difficult owing to not knowing the specific terms to use, and therefore having no idea where to look. I see this site as the bridge between that gap.

I'd really appreciate any input you may have that could improve the site, thanks.

Oliver

harrisoliver@hotmail.co.uk

Replies

• ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Great idea! I wonder though if design is a bit misleading. Perhaps Game Art or something more clear to our niche would be better as I think most people consider game design the discipline of our excel nerd brethren :p Cool stuff none the less!

edit: after poking around see you have links and things to traditional design as well :)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much every introduction to game design/development should begin with Bob Bates analogy about sausage.

"I don't think college kids get that making games has little to do with playing them. People enjoy sausage but don't really want to work in the sausage factory."

Also am I the only one who wants to turn and run as far away as possible every time I see a clay render of a lowpoly model?
  • themightyodog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ericdigital thanks man, about the game design name, I see your point but I've never encountered anyone with that view, maybe I'm out of the loop haha. Thanks again man.

@Bibendum Love the quote, it's bang on
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    "design" kinda implies pre-production, at least that's what I think when I hear it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with Eric, when I hear design I think of the actual Designer position in the game industry
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Justin agreeing with Eric.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    maybe a name change is in order or something breaking down the roles in the game industry? Because design is as defined a role as programming or art but there seems to be a real lack of information out there on how to become a designer. I work with them and I still don't understand the process, like what the hell is a "systems designer"?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    out of the loop

It's like a meme "make new web site, add donate button"
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    but there seems to be a real lack of information out there on how to become a designer.

There's a bit now but yes it's not as ubiquitous as art or programming reference.
    like what the hell is a "systems designer"?

I'm probably horribly wrong but it gives me the impression that they would be in charge of designing the underline structure of particular gameplay mechanics that involve clear variables (but not necessarily to the player), especially as they interact with other objects and actions. I would say that such a designer will deal with a lot of those flowcharts and excel documents.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I feel so misunderstood. :*(

At a glance it looks like "Designer" is the wrong thing to title your site with. Seems to be more geared towards art and world building.

For everyone who's confused, here's an article written by my old Design Director from when I was at Relic. Good read for anyone curious as to what us designers get up to I think; http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6267/lifting_the_designers_curse.php

Depending on the studio and type of designer, we do do a fair bit of in-editor work by the way. Though a lot of it can be spreadsheets, flowcharts and word docs. We definitely aren't artists,

From a designers perspective by the way, I was expecting a site called the "Game Design Index" to have a lot of information on game design theory and philosophies. I could see some in-editor stuff being included as well; scripting, engine breakdowns, technical stuff for combat design (animation trees and the like), that kinda thing. But what you have seems to be more geared towards level artists/world builders, unless I just didn't read enough.

*Goes back to his spreadsheets and flowcharts*
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    From a designers perspective by the way, I was expecting a site called the "Game Design Index" to have a lot of information on game design theory and philosophies. I could see some in-editor stuff being included as well; scripting, engine breakdowns, technical stuff for combat design (animation trees and the like), that kinda thing. But what you have seems to be more geared towards level artists/world builders, unless I just didn't read enough.

Absolutely, a name like that practically screams "tvtropes: Game design edition"

and
    We definitely aren't artists,

We can be both can't we?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Snacuum wrote: »
    We can be both can't we?

Of course, but then you'd be an artist and a designer. Haha, I just meant that design is a different discipline than art, just like programming. Didn't mean to imply they are mutually exclusive.

Also, the "tvtropes: Game design edition" sounds awesome. ;)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I got tricked by the title too.

If any of you are looking for a site dedicated to game design check out Ludology University.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the "tvtropes: Game design edition" sounds awesome. ;)

Yes but not only a reference for where certain game design elements have been seen, but also WHY and how they would be implemented. (Don't know how well that would work though since the how and why are surely things companies don't want their designers to flap on about everywhere)
    If any of you are looking for a site dedicated to game design check out Ludology University.

And a thaaaank you!