Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cathedral WIP- Advice appreciated

Hello, this is a project ive been working on recently- a cathedral/empirical complex- of which this is merely the entrance.

5a8d2e33acadf55175f270b97f571ec0-d4qga1i.jpg

Replies

• hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    I love the lighting and atmosphere of the scene but you might want to lower down the opacity and scale down the textures on the walls its kinda distracting as of the moment (screenshot 5 & 6) but I think it is still placeholders.

Oh and another thing the plants in your last screens are sprouting on concrete floor. You can put some kind of pedestal with a soil texture applied to it.

What engine are you using rendering the scene and are you following a concept art or reference?

Good Luck.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I too love the lighting, presentation, and maybe even the composition, but almost all of your textures are extremely noisy which is a big turn off. The strong lighting and noise combined is just really harsh on the eyes, except for the last 3 pictures.
  • Natocwal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats looking quite nice, i like the layout of the place and i really like all you models, very well done, especially that statue. Nice work on it.

I agree with "nordahl154" on textures, with it being noisy everything kind of blends together. I suggest just changing the textures to have less degradation. Also with your wall textures, you can tell its tiled, for that i suggest moving some cracks from the floor texture and putting it in random places on the wall.
  • SergeiMirminski
    Thanks all for the quick reply. As for you, Hostilis, I am folowing only a basic idea of four "feet"- the steps leading to the cylindrical center- placed in a cross configuration rotated about the central cylinder. I do intend for the center to be greater in diameter as well as to have multiple floors.

I use the UDK(unreal dev kit).

@Nordahl154: Do you mean blur or neutralize the values of the textures? Or decrease the normal and/or specular contrast?

@Natocwal: alright, ill try to normalize the textures.

Here is an extension of the structure, but im unsure how the UDK handles object draw call distance- radius relative to player-, and how I could improve performance other than to have small textures and modular objects. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

b581ef93935abbf75c642c43e2ba0603-d4qly3d.jpg