Home Technical Talk

Normal map baking | eat3d Fountain Workflow |

newton
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
newton polycounter lvl 18
Hi there,

i know...its yet an other normal map issue but i want to ask if i am doing st worng here.

in the eat3d fountain dvd they use a workflow like this:

- Creat highpoly
- create Low poly
- create UVs
- insert edgeloops around corners ( no chamfering )
- Bake maps
- delete edgeloops

normalmap_cubetest_wf.jpg

normalmap_cubetest.jpg

normalmap_cubetest_eat3d.jpg

( to get less confusion : all cubes are baked "non-eat3d-way" except the last 2 on the right)

Its interesting that the cube with no smooth/uvsplit has the same amount of verteces than the one with smooth/no uvsplit and looks also better. Does that mean i have use different smoothing on my different UV Islands?

Imo the best way is to handle more complex models is to chamfer keyedges, use fiew big UVIslands and smooth those seperately. Or am I missing st here?

But again...what about the eat3d WF ? Am I doing st wrong?

Thanks for any help,
greets

Replies

• newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i took the wf from the dvd a step further and used it on a sofa i made...
    it makes much more sense in the following example. sometimes you need more geometrie to read the hp properly. after the baking process you can get rid of many edges without any lack of much detail. Of course here you can see it but this is extreme.
    its kind of creating LODs.

normalmap_cubetest_sofa.jpg

but i dont see the real point on simple geometry...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    - Bake maps
    - delete edgeloops

Wouldn't this create a normal map specifically meant for the middle option, and not the actual low poly mesh? If the Eat3d tutorial is an older one, you might want to just stick with what guys like EQ have documented here. Between them and Max being updated, you shouldn't have too much trouble fighting hard edges like that.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    The way I remember it being explained on the Eat3D tutorial was that by having a single smoothing group for the mesh, and then adding the edge loops, meant that you didn't have split vertices between these edges and could get a clean bake without having to split your UVs.

I think... although since then I've never done that and just split my UVs.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as we can see on the cubes: it doesnt look really good unless i did st wrong.
    but on the sofa i think its a really good ways to get more detail on the normal map.
    of curse you can loose some shading information by reducing...

also i know how to get the hardedges away. but it costs verts from splitting uv or tris.
    but i was interested in this wf...
    Wesley wrote: »
    The way I remember it being explained on the Eat3D tutorial was that by having a single smoothing group for the mesh, and then adding the edge loops, meant that you didn't have split vertices between these edges and could get a clean bake without having to split your UVs.

ah ok...but the result is not really promising (look at the nm of the eat3d wf)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    newton wrote: »
    - Bake maps
    - delete edgeloops

To simplify, you should pretty much never do this, if you understand how normal maps work it should be obvious why.
    Read up a few of Earthquakes posts that are spread all over Technical Talk, that should help, also check the wiki.
    And there's nothing wrong with having hard edges when needed really, as long as you split the UVs, chamfering everything like crazy can be nice, but it's not always necessary.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    ah ok...but the result is not really promising (look at the nm of the eat3d wf)

Well I never remember my normals looking like that to be honest. At the time I didn't really understand it all that well; but knew I was getting pretty nice results. After reading the wiki here I've avoided using the method in that Eat3D tutorial and stuck with splitting UVs.

Although there is a use: if you wanna keep your vert count down then you don't wanna be splitting your UVs.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Although there is a use: if you wanna keep your vert count down then you don't wanna be splitting your UVs.

thats exactly why i wanted to take a look at this. when i followed the fountain dvd some time ago i didnt had to bad results too...but here and there the edges were not nice.
    i thought i might get better normalmap shading 1 smoothing group and without splitting UVs.

@ bal: thx i looked through many threads and the wiki...

learned a lot from these pages! thanks for putting all that down btw !
    but i dont see why this should be a problem...again i think even the lowpoly sofa looks ok
    maybe it just wont work on this low and simple mesh like this cube...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    i thought i might get better normalmap shading 1 smoothing group and without splitting UVs.

You'll want to place the UV seams with the hard edges on the mesh, so I think the extra verts are already going to be there. Simple cubes were never really the best example.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah youre right, just followed all the other helppages with those cubes...
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    "- Creat highpoly
    - create Low poly
    - create UVs
    - Bake maps
    - delete edgeloops"

Are those images of cubes with vert counts from the Eat3d video? There are so many problems with this workflow.
    The biggest one is deleting edge loops from the mesh after baking. If you do that you effectively have a normal map for a different model and it will shade terribly.

Second of all, putting supporting edges everywhere is totally vertex inefficient and there is no reason to do it in max. Your UVs will inevitably have splits. Unless you can somehow manage to unwrap your entire asset onto one island you will be worse off than just using UV/smoothing splits to control smoothing errors.

From the images you posted (not sure if those are from the DVD) there seems to be a bunch of other fundamental problems. I would try and ignore/forget pretty much everything in that video about normal maps.

Your sofa looks cool.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no no..the imgs are captured out of the unity engine. i played around with different technics for creating normal maps.

ok i understand the fact that the map isnt for the right model after deleting the edges.
    also everybody can clearly see that those two cubes look awful.

as for the sofa, i only have 3 UV islands..so deleting edges dont get me much trouble or splits.

you dont bake the normal again for a LOD do you?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    fwiw I don't think unity is currently synced up with ANY normal map generation technique, and I mean techniques like the baker or shader calculating the tangent space, rather than adding or removing edges.

Generally you don't bake a normal map again for a lod as there's not usually enough texture memory and it's far enough away to not see the errors but if you wanted correct shading you would need to.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i figured unity is crappy with normal maps. ( i am sure some would disagree)

btw does i have to flip green with every engine or just unity?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    well there's nothing to disagree with, if it dosen't work its broken.

"Implementation Dependent
    A common misunderstanding about tangent space normal maps is that this representation is somehow asset independent. However, normals sampled/captured from a high resolution surface and then transformed into tangent space is more like an encoding. Thus to reverse the original captured field of normals the transformation used to decode would have to be the exact inverse of that which was used to encode.

This presents a problem since there is no implementation standard for tangent space generation. Every normal map baker uses a different implementation and, additionally, there is no standard for how the interpolated frame is to be used to transform the normal into tangent space.

The math error which occurs from this mismatch between the normal map baker and the pixel shader used for rendering results in shading seams. These are unwanted hard edges which become visible when the model is lit/shaded. They are a source of wasted time and frustration to an artist/designer."

actually the last paragraph should include apparently curved areas that should be hard.

examples here of it breaking
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/38781-Calculating-Unity-s-tangent-basis-for-xNormal

if you have to invert green it's a good sign that its not synced up, but you should beable to flip it in the baker settings if its the closest you can get.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input!

i am still playing with this technic of putting some edgeloops in my model and deleting them after baking again. everybody know the issue of curves in the normal map, right?

i am testing out this tablemesh and i put many edgees before baking and removed them after. the curves were not as strong in this workflow. what do you think?

normalmap_tabletest.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    i am testing out this tablemesh and i put many edgees before baking and removed them after.

Really, try to avoid that. When normal maps are baked, they're designed to work with the specific low poly mesh they were baked with. Changing the silhouette and vertex normals around afterwards are just going to leave you with a mesh and normal map that are no longer synced.
    When it comes to the waviness, check out the giant sticky http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx, i studied the thread also today...well actually only the first page. at the end isnt the main reason too less geometry? i dont know, i cant see any downside of this wf yet...ill try more
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Basically the idea is this, if you plan, model, unwrap, and bake everything properly, you shouldn't have to do hacks like that to get it to look right. Also editing the geometery after baking will mess up how the tangents are interpreted. It may not matter much from a small basic prop like this, but for a bigger more complicated project, you are going to spend more and more time using hacks to fix a problem that could could avoid or minimize in the first place.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    thanks for the input!

i am still playing with this technic of putting some edgeloops in my model and deleting them after baking again. everybody know the issue of curves in the normal map, right?

i am testing out this tablemesh and i put many edgees before baking and removed them after. the curves were not as strong in this workflow. what do you think?

normalmap_tabletest.jpg

If the surface of the table wasn't void of detail you would realize that the silhouette of the the top and bottom of the table wouldn't line up when you remove those edges.

Also the distortion on the left image doesn't look so bad if it at an angle ie: from the direction of the projection.

I know some people go and smudge these edges to fix stuff, but like many of the above posters said alot of these quick fixes become a paint later on in the pipeline and are hard to iterate on.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you read the whole wavyness thread, wayness is cause by having a large difference between your low poly and high poly mesh and having to push out your cage too far. It would be better to use the geometry you used for the top bevel to round out the side.
  • newton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    wayness is cause by having a large difference between your low poly and high poly mesh and having to push out your cage too far.
    thats what i said...too less geometry ;)

but youre probably right. if you are not happy with the result later , its a real pain to go back and rectreate the workflow again...