Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] Environment Art- Salman

Hey Polycounters.

I am wanting to get some thoughts and critiques on my portfolio. I am working on another environment that I will put in my folio.

Thanks.

http://www.salman3d.com

Replies

• SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good shit!

artwork is nice, but website could do with more bling, keep it simple but use a more interesting font and header. spacing is weird too.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I would compress the header/nav area. No reason to have almost 450 pixels between the top of the page and the content.

281adeu.png

I'd also recommend reducing the negative space around your pieces to make the whole thing more concise.

Personally, and I'm not an art director, I prefer to see the actual texture sheets instead of the striped composite. You never know what someone is going to want to see in your normals or spec, etc.

I'd also say to tighten up some of these pieces. I know you're going to work on an environment to go in here, but I think you have the skills to make things like the MP5 look fantastic. Grab some ref (http://www.pixagogo.com/9767654102), tighten up the model and get to texturing it.

I also think you could do with showing texture sheets for the sci-fi interiors.

And lastly, if you're adding an enviro soon, you might want to get rid of the mounted gun as it's not your strongest piece.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I freakin love the gears of war vehicle...but I completely looked over it at first because I didn't notice the awesomeness in the thumbnail.

Larger thumbnails would be good..

Good work man.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your art's gotten a lot better over the years. Time to update your avatar with a skull that anatomically fit inside of your head so people know you aren't crappy.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guy.
    I will certainly be working on the layout and remove some of the spacing. I have been thinking about changing the layout completely so that the home page displays much larger images and the visitor will be able to scroll through the entire portfolio instead of having too click on small thumbnails.

That brings me to this question, how should I display my textures as I want to keep my home page clean? Should I break it down for each project? Also I have so many textures for sci-fi scene. How many should I show? Is that ok if I scale those down so they would fit on a smaller sheet?

Cholden: LOL, That was when I first learned about healing tool in photoshop in 2004.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, great work. I agree with the rest of the posters here. Also I woulod have liked to see your site in more details but it is loading extremely slow for me and trying to access on of your 3d models through the thumbnail gave me an error of file not found.

Maybe something is wrong with your hosting company. Just giving you a heads up about that.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Is anyone else having problem with the site loading too slow.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on texture for my MP5k. Specular is a quicky, I will be redoing specular.
    mp5krender1.jpg
  • salman_fas
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    hmm.. i kinda liked it more how it was before. now it kinda looks like concrete.
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the negative space around the work, it just focuses the eye for me but i agree that not as much is needed. id rather see more of say the gun above then the negative space around it :)

its funny how many naughty dog art tests i see. The gun i find is better then some of the others though. the statue is super noisy.

your concept work is a nice touch and the halo art test is nice.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: I think I have been looking at this gun for too long, I might change it later.

Ack Master: Thanks, I took the naughty dog test last summer and I was a little lost and didn't do a very good job. I did the Halo test back in 2008 and they hired almost everybody except me:(

I am redoing my website, (just testing offline). I took inspiration from Lincoln Hughes' awesome website. Here is the home page.

preview.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    MUCH better layout, presents your work very nicely and uses space much more efficiently. nice work as well :thumbup:
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

I have updated my website with the new layout.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing stuff! However...
    I recommend moving the outdoor jungle scene with the statue down some. It's probably your weakest piece, and it was the one I clicked on first. Afterwards I closed your site. Then I saw someone say "I freakin love the gears of war vehicle" and I was like huh? So I went back and saw better work. And that's exactly how every recruiter looks through the thousands of portfolios they get every week. Put your best work at the top and your weakest at the bottom. Also for a critique, the Dead Space inspired scene is awesome, but that floor looks barren. Clutter it up! Other than that, great site!
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Serith,

I have moved my 2nd scene down a a bit. I am trying to learn zbrush's tileable texturing techniques so hopefully I will make a better environment next.

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool stuff, man.
    I have a small crit, tho - one of the things you have on your site is a high poly helmet "for Dragon Age 2". Did you work on Dragon Age 2? Your resume doesn't SAY you did. Was it for a mod? If so, you should put that in the description of the helmet.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was for actual Dragon age 2 game. I worked on those 2 models through Liquid Development.

Here is one of them.

DA2.jpg
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great overall, but I just have to say that I really don't like the design of that turret... The barrels are tiny compared to the rest of it. The grenade launcher is totally impractical and the supports look flimsy.

Technically it all looks great, though :)

Oh, and the generator looks really good, but the scratches look too obviously hand painted (like you've scribbled them on with a 1px brush).
    I did the Halo test back in 2008 and they hired almost everybody except me
    That's really surprising, because I thought yours looked better than a lot of the other ones that are out there...
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    Hey,
    I think some of your links got messed up.
    Be clicking on one piece you are direkted to another....
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur: Thank you. I will start weeding out my weaker pieces as I make more better looking assets.

fab-camp: I checked all the links and I couldn't find anything. Is there a particular one that you found messed up.
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    my mistake !
    it was only a problem of cached images in my browser.
    I did a deep reload before, but only on the uppermost level.