Home General Discussion

Help me to decide what to do.

These weeks, or in last 3 months, i really can't decide what to do. I want to be modeler and/or texture artist for features movies or/and games. But, i don't know which program to start first, i have been messing around with maya, found out, that it's way to complex to learn, even from tutorials i don't understand something. Then, i found out that, Maya is full with bugs and errors, whatever i do, or i just switch window with alt-tab, to continue watch tutorial, maya will crash up.

Then, i started to use Max, and i like it, really like it, so much fin with modeling, but then again, something comes in my mind. What the hell i should i learn max, cuz, who used it really? Yea, i heard that is used in game industry, but how should i get there, where i live we don't have any gaming industry at all, and Yes we have only one VFX studio that works on blockbusters movies, but i heard horror stories from my cousin, best friends, who used to go there for intern, and you have no idea how they threat them. Only one dude, from my high school class, got the job as matchomover, and everything begin to come complicates stuff, when he got couple of task to do, and instead co- workers, to help him, they told him that is not belongs on this places, his boss was so lost and no idea what to do in crunch time.

Okay, so i come back into Maya again, got some tutorials, but errors and crashes driving me crazy, and i atm i am without money to get proper PC for that.

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    DRAW PICTURES instead. Once your art fundamentals are locked down, screw around with sliders in max or whatever.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    If you like Max, use Max. Learn to model. Later when you've developed some techniques you should be so familiar with 3D that switching programs shouldn't be too much of an arduous task.

This seems much the same as the last thread you posted barely eight days ago.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Maya shouldn't crash when you alt-tab. Normally you'd be able to bounce around between it and whatever else you happen to be running and even run multiple versions of Maya at the same time if you felt the need. It sounds like something is messed up with your install. I'd try doing a full reinstall before you go off muddling about with other programs.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Really? You want US to decide FOR you? Being an adult means making decisions yourself.

Do what makes you happy, it's really that simple. It may not be an easy road to get there, but if it makes you happy that's the only thing that matters.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Not to derail the topic, but howcome I hear Maya crashes constantly, or about its bugs, etc? I hardly ever had a crash in it, and when I used to use Max at work it would crash constantly. Weird :/
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    dosen't matter eventually. I went from XSI to Maya and got the hang of it within 2 weeks, then learned better workflow from co-workers after that. (I was hired based on experience, portfolio)

So stick to the one you feel most comfortable now, just to get the 3D fundamentals down. All programs are basically the same (XSI, Maya, 3Dmax) just things are located differently.