Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: z0ltan

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
Welcome to my sketchbook. This is where I dump random things I am working on.

This is based off of a concept by Mark Making and I found the image over at CGHub.

snowsledfinal.png

If anyone would like to see more images (flats, wires, etc) just let me know.

Replies

• z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So me not being a little girl worked out really well. Started working on a covered wagon. Why? Only baby jesus knows.

wagonwip1.png

pretty much figuring out how a covered wagon is supposed to look. The cloth is just me messing around with the cloth modifier in max and playing with the different settings. Still scowering for some good close up reference for the front axle area, like...how the eff did these things turn? More progress later now go look at all the sweet Brawl art, nao!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more progress. Starting to add in some details. The canvas looks way to rigid but a little sculpting should fix that me thinks. More soon.

wagonwip2.png
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Nice progress man. I like the look of it so far. Are you planning on texturing this one?
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bouchfx: Thanks for taking a look. I do plan to make the low, texture it, and possibly do a small scene. btw some epic beard portraits :)

WagonBleh.png

Added a few more of the bracket things and tried to mix up the board lengths to make it a little more "thrown together." I like the idea of "oh snap lets go get some gold, tie shit on and lets do this" so I don't want it to look perfect. My adventures in Zbrush were...interesting. I need to spend some more time to get the wrinkles to look better. I think this is a result of me exaggerating the sculpt too much(the waviness on the sides) for decimation master. The front and the back eh, yeah needs work. More progress soon.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo with the long weekend it was time to update my portfolio website/work on some stuff.

Website

I unwrapped a shack from an older project and retextured it because it was pretty bad. Here are some screens from Marmoset:

shack1.png
    shack2.png
    shack3.png

Then I downloaded the latest release of UDK (June) and tried creating and lighting a scene with the meshes that came in the package. I haven't really used UT3 or UDK before, but I did spend a fair amount of time in the UT2k4 Editor during school. Here are some screens of that, sorry about the lighting. Definitely something I need to work on.

udk1.png
    udk2.png

all in all a fairly productive weekend. I should be updating more frequently and I'll get some updates on the wagon as well. Currently have parts of it in zbrush trying to play with the canvas/wood planks. Thanks for stopping by!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So work is pretty nuts, but I'm going to try to get at least in max every day. Get a little something done and then hit it on the weekends.

Started working on some modular pieces. Planning on bringing it into unreal so trying to build it with unreal units in mind.

modwall1.png

It seems boring to me. I guess I will just need to put it in unreal to see how repetitive the details are, and what I can do to break it up. *shrug* progress is progress. Will probably work on a corner piece next, then some other meshes to break it up.

Small updates to the wagon, mostly messing with details. I brought all the boards into zbrush to play with. Hopefully get some time to work on them soon.

wagon17.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I abandoned the walls. They were boring and I didn't really have any direction. So I started modeling something else, with out a whole lot of direction :) Still WiP, it is going a bit slow due to work, but going to try to work on it at least a little bit each day.

holothingy.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a chance to work on it a bit more. more soon. Thoughts?

holothingy5.png
  • azunaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like your stuff and a suggestion to your most recent that could make a very interesting centerpiece to a room. you could make it some sort of power source. all glowy and stuff(lol)

any way hope next time i decide to check out poly count you make some more progress with this.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks azunaki. When I first imagined this I was thinking it would be smaller and people would stand around it as some sort of holo display thing. Then with your comment and someone else asking me "how big is this thing", I hit a wall :(. I didn't really have an answer, haha and I still don't. I played around with it being huge with a sort of platform around towards the top, then I thought of it as really small and changed the size of the orb. Still not really sure where I am going to go with it. Mental note, plan before starting things :)
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am done with the high. On to the low.

holo8.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wheeew! Crunch is over so back to regular hours and weekends off! Started a scene. playing with different shapes and a glorious placeholder max tree! It feels all over the place for me right now. Rectangle on the left wall?? No idea, got tired of it being a giant plane of nothing :) More soon.

hallwaywip1.jpg
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the scene a bit more. Starting to add some detail to the hallway, still has lots of meshes just awkwardly sticking out of other meshes.

HallwayWip5.jpg
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    really nice looking cant wait to see finished product
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your scene looks nice so far i'm glad it's not spammed with random detail for the sake of it feels more like things have a purpose, would it be possible to see flats on your scene above this? be really nice to see good job so far, lookin forward to the rest of it :D
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @allmighty_thunder - thanks!

@Oranghe - flats for the little UDK scene? If so I didn't model or texture any of that, was just me dinking around with the meshes in the packages that come with UDK.

Little bit on an update. Did some trim stuff on the pillars. Added a few small details and finished up the floor. A wild 3dsmax tree appears!

I took the railing out...it didn't really make any sense.

hallwaywip7.jpg
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketchbook! I have neglected you. I haven't sketched in a long time. Every time I do I wonder why I don't do it more. It is fun! Going to try to do it every day.

doodles.jpg
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's doodles.
    doodles2.jpg
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooo sketchbook. Adding some finished shots of my last UDK scene then an image of my current adventures in cryengine.

SciFi hallway in UDK:

WIP Thread

scifihallwayFinal1.png

scifihallwayFinal2.png

scifihallway_wires.png

Scifihallway_meshes.png

And now for my Cryengine adventures:

Update_07.png

Nothing much yet. Working on making some tiling textures for the different shanty huts.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random3AMthing.png

Random thing. Time for sleep.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The random thing I made led to an idea. Starting to play around with the layout and build the modular pieces.

mountain_01.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing with landscapes in UDK:

mountain_02.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing with materials on landscapes. Also working on the interior, so I'll post some shots once it is further along than primitives ;)

mountain_06.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to add more to the interior.

mountain_07.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more progress on the interior.

mountain_09.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brought a bunch of it into UDK to check out how it was shaping up. Getting there, slowly but surely.

mountain_10.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ Realized those are way too dark. Will fix for future posts. I didn't like where the inner temple was going, So I did some sketches to try some ideas. I think 1 is the direction I am going to go.

TempleSketches.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update. Starting to bake out some stuff and throw a base texture on it for the temple inside.

TempleStart.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per the usual I am all over the place. I found an image I really liked so I started making a scene for it. My main goal for this is to get practice with vertex painting and use more generic textures than unique.

Porcelain_02.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress.

Porcelain_04.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more stuff. Threw a bunch of junk on the other Side of the windows. Textures still be placeholder (Obvious tiling is obvious).

Porcelain_05.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huzzah! Weekend off and a bit of time to work on this.

Porcelain_06.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with lighting and getting light maps on all the things.

Porcelain_09.png