Home Technical Talk

Copying 3Ds max settings to new computer

Hello guys,

I just bought a new computer and installed Max 2011. But I would like to copy the settings from my laptop to my new computer. That way, I don't have to configure keybindings, viewports, toolbars etc. I spent a lot time finetuning all those settings so it would be nice if I could copy them straight to my new computer.

Is this possible and which files do I have to copy/overwrite?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

B.T.

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    copy appsettings 3dsmax folder on flash drive and replace the appsetting 3dsmax folder on the new machine
    must be somwehere in c\users\yourname\appsetting or application settings(hidden folder usually)\ something i dont know probabgly multible folders\3dsmax
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also save out the UI in max and load that into the new version. It won't save any custom scripts that you've installed and hopefully they've installed to the folder that arrangemonk talked about, if not you'll need to dig them out of the 3dsmax folder or reinstall them as per the scripts instructions and hope that they are compatible with whatever changes where made to max.

I personally save out my UI every few weeks to my dropbox so I have it wherever I go.

When the new version of max rolls out I don't rush to install all of the old scripts I had, but only as I need them. you would be surprised how many one time use scripts you carry around with you but haven't used in months.