Home Technical Talk

Zbrush how to smart re-sym 90deg?

So I'm making the base for a square pillar, and finished with the basic shape of the one side. Now I want to copy the side to the other 3 sides.
I know you could use smart-resym to get the opposite side, but what about the 2 sides that are not directly across from the original side?

How can I copy the original side to the side's that are 90 degrees from it?

Thanks!

Untitled-1-1.jpg
*the colors are just to show which side is which*

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Two possible approaches would be to generate an alpha and apply it with projection master so that you could finally place it (a displacement map might be even more precise if you could create it for one side, then make the other sides share the same UV space).

You could also try duplicating the mesh, rotating it 90' on the y axis, and then use Project All to transfer the details (probably with the Outer option, or use masks to preserve the existing detail).
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response, i tried the (generate an alpha and apply it with projection master) but it was just to difficult to line up :/ .
    And with (), i'm pretty sure it will make all the sides have no detail, Because the details are extruded "in", so the unsculpted sides will be covering the sides with details. but i'm not sure

EDIT: i tried duplicating then Project All, and it worked kinda, it gave me alot of weird distortions. i'm gonna play around with the options.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    i'm pretty sure it will make all the sides have no detail, Because the details are extruded "in", so the unsculpted sides will be covering the sides with details. but i'm not sure
    If it's all carved in, use the Inner option instead. If it's a mix, you'll probably want to use a mask to protect it.
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha yeah its a mix... i'm gonna try merging a block that i already merged using "protect outer" with a block that i merged with "protect Inner" and see if that works... if not i'll try the masking. Thanks for your help

EDITE: Got it to working using the masking
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    The answer for your question is on this video. Starts at 6:00 min.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjnXfZfD60"]ZBrush Tutorial (Architectural Techniques) - part 6 - YouTube[/ame]