Home Technical Talk

blender vs 3ds max unwrapping

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
hello,

I am used to the uv-editor of blender. Now I started with uving in 3ds max and I have a problem.

In blender, when I mark the seams, let's say for a simple cube, and then press unwrap, the unwrapped uv's are just cut where I marked the seams.

In max I can't do this simple task...

Either I pelt-unwrap it for complicated organic material, or I use flatten mapping. But when using flatten mapping I need to stitch all the sides back together again. Even when I did proper seam-marking before it keeps cutting my object's uv's in single parts..

Does someone know what I mean and explain me how to do it properly, just in a simple way like it works in blender?

Thx in advance for help!

Replies

• bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    I would like to know this too. I have been using blender for about 3 years, and just this past week I have been learning Max (most companies require it). About 75 percent of my skills carry over, there are a few things I cant find.

First, more advanced UV mapping: seams, project from view, etc.

Second, texture baking (diffuse maps). In blender I could just create a new material with a texture, assign it to a few select faces, and UV map it on a separate UV channel. After I had all my textures unwrapped in different UV channels with different textures, I could just go back to my first UV channel with my neat unwrap and bake a nice diffuse with the info from all he other materials (SUCH a time-saver). If there is a tool like this in max, I would give my first born child for a tutorial (well maybe not, but I'll sure as heck say thanks). :D

Blender is a fine tool; im sad to move on :(
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I hate to be that guy , but did you even read the unwrap section from the manual ?

Peel Mode
    Applies a Quick Peel (see preceding) and then stays active so you can adjust the layout of the texture coordinates interactively. You do so by dragging sub-objects in the Edit UVWs dialog window, which redistributes all vertices in the cluster evenly around any pinned vertices.
    While Peel Mode is active, you can create seams with the Edit Seams and Point-to-Point Seams tools (see following), and they automatically "peel" off as you go. Alternatively, in the editor, select some edges and use the Break tool to split the edges and automatically re-peel the cluster.
    When Auto-Pin Moved Vertices is on (the default), moving a sub-object in Peel mode pins (locks) all vertices belonging to the sub-object.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    @bgivenb:
    Blender is a fine tool; im sad to move on :(

agree to that. i am going trough the same process right now :)

@respawnrt thx for your help!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also if you're using 3dsmax2012 you can do similar tasks without using peel mode. I personally don't trust peel mode yet enough to use it all the time, with it always on it's always trying to relax and I forget that, with quick peel it sometimes works but not always and there are some times some action I do triggers some verts to be pinned and it causes a nightmare so I just leave it off.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't do something similar.

Apply planar map to the mesh.
    Use point to point seam selection to draw seams on the mesh in the viewport.
    Then break those selected edges so they become seam.
    Relax until flat.
    Rescale Elements so all pieces match in size and pack.
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    thanks respawnrt and Mark Dygert
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    usually I planar map the whole mesh so's I know where everything is,
    mark my seams and then use quick peel with the expand selection to seams button.

it's pretty much just a case of relaxing and packing after that (except on ears etc. which are complete gits).