Home Technical Talk

What is, and How does this work in 3DS Max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2iB_Av5PBhI#t=102s
First, I am somewhat new to texturing, and I have been learning from tutorials about the processes and such on how to make my objects have materials.

But I came across this video where a young man demonstrates how to get very rich textures just by using the rendering options in Blender.

He didn't have to do to much work in making his metal texture come out awesome, and he didn't really do much in photoshop. I want to be able to do this in 3DS Max, where I could create shaders and make metal textures like that, without bothering to do many hours worth of time to create the same thing or worse in Photoshop.

How would I go about doing this in 3DS Max? I don't know what to call it in Google search or Youtube, so if someone could just help me out with my dilema, because I am not exactly a good Photoshop artist. :)

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Your text is unreadable, can you fix it?

A good base for many textures is Always a Ambient Occlusion bake.

If you want to be lazy, here are 2 scripts that can make this stuff easier
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/totex-render-to-texture
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/

Maybe do some research on your own, I can already tell you that I have seen more scripts that do some awesome stuff like baking worn edges, chipped edges and lots of other things that might help you rendering metal alike or used materials.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want a quick way to generate some nice looking maps, look into using Substances in 3ds Max.

Really though, I wouldn't recommend using scripts and such, you'll never learn anything if you just look for the easiest way of doing something. My rule for myself is that I always do something manually first, even if I fully intend on using a script/generator, so that I know what is actually happening.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    If you're looking for the "make awesome" button, there really is no button that makes things look good without requiring effort and/or skill...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    even if you do find a script to make a decnet UV layout automatically, it will still be a bitch to texture, since it wont make sense where the script places the cuts and islands.

and for the texturing it;s self, yes you can bake AO, Cavity and curveature maps and a bunch of other crap to help with texturing, but you stil need to know how to use it all and make your materials.

also it is only ok nothing amazing, and better results would come from hand making a Specular and gloss map.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The materials are undefined with no Gloss.

The specular looks pretty cheap.

The diffuse is bland and the 'wear, tear' effect is also very much 'paint edges and call it a day'.

Only shine of the material is from the cubemap, with a proper gloss/specular highlight expose.

That is not a workflow you should be looking at, there are many cheap ways to create spec, gloss, etc maps to work and compensate your normal and diffuse, this video ain't one of them.