Home General Discussion

Getting Started!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Feashrind polycounter lvl 5
Hello, I'm Jesse, I'm sixteen and in high-school. I haven't taken an art class since eighth grade. I can some what draw but not the best. I was curious if i should an art class or does it matter? I really want to become a 3D Environmental artist. But sadly we do not have a 3D art class at the school i attend.

So i'm curious if i should just wait til college? I want to attend Art Institute of Chicago or Vancouver.

If i were to get better i don't have any well programs to design 3D content. I do have Photoshop, but anybody is an artist in Photoshop. So what do i do?

Replies

• Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I am in High school too and I never took one art course. I am going to school for 3d art in September.
    Catch?
    They have art tests. You have to submit about 10 pieces (at least from the school's I have applied too) and about 7 of them are specific requests. Anything from freehand 2d drawings of shapes, to freehand figure drawings, then they ask you for about 3-4 3d pieces.

So no, you don't need to take any art 3d related class in High school. Get home and learn as much as you can from online tutorials/sites after school. Once you have a simple grasp of what you are doing, practice every second of every free minute you have. Trust me, school's don't look at what courses you took in highschool (apart of like English). They want to see that you are capable of doing the work they require of you when time comes.

Also, that text color is horrible. I suggest changing it, its hard on the eyes. :\

Edit; What school are you looking into going for, in Vancouver? (Check the website of each school and check the requirements and make sure you have what they require)
  • Feashrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feashrind polycounter lvl 5
    What about classes outside of school?
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    What about classes outside of school?
    Get home and learn as much as you can from online tutorials/sites after school. Once you have a simple grasp of what you are doing, practice every second of every free minute you have.

Also, that text color is horrible. I suggest changing it, its hard on the eyes. :\

That basically sums it up. Btw, do you have an example of a "course", outside of school? Because if you aren't taking art courses in highschool, then you must be taking them in college/uni/AI. Other then that, all I can think of is some form of tutoring..
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    traditional art is always beneficial, i took art all throughout high school - and i still cant draw to save my life - but it was enough to get me by on college applications and accepted to all i applied to.

Also traditional art was a mandatory class every semester in college up till my last year.

you say you dont have the programs to do 3D right now, which is fine - research what program the college you hope to go to uses before you think about purchasing any 3d software, but i would say enjoy high school and free time now as when it comes time to go to college that'll all go away :P (plus you'll spend the first semester learning all the basics regardless if you know them or not)

edit: please dont continue to use that font colour : )
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Don't fucking go to AI Chicago. I visited there a few years ago and it's one of the worst AI's for game art. Not having the programs to start doing 3D art isn't a good excuse. You can download any Autodesk product for free as a student, even if you're a high school student. You shouldn't wait to go to college to start learning this stuff if you really want to become an environment artist. Download Maya or Max now and start learning the basics of 3D modeling, uv mapping and texturing at least.

Also as has been said multiple times, stop using that font color. It's not cool or unique, just extremely annoying.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    If you're interested in art of any kind, traditional courses will always be a benefit, as long as you apply yourself instead of cruising through (man high school art was an easy course). Whatever you do, having some knowledge of color and form will come in handy, and the more the better. Most awesome 3d artists are at least decent at 2d.

You can try to learn from software like Blender or other free programs (http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-modelling-applications-you-should-not-miss/), or buy a cheap basic 3d package to practice with. Silo (http://nevercenter.com/silo/) is only $159, which is pretty affordable, and it's very easy to use (at least compared to writhing multi-headed hydras like max or maya). Another option is the student versions of programs, for example 3dsmax (http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center). They have limitations, but they work.

Or you can just pinch the programs you want. That's how many of us started out.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditch the colored text.

Here are some 'getting started' stories for you to read up on.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89972
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    as Joseph said, draw every chance you can get.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Almost stopped reading.

Ditch the colored text.

These guys already pointed out a lot of obvious stuff. Take some serious art classes and build on your fundamentals first. Perspective, lighting, composition, etc., etc.