Home General Discussion

Any artists looking for a playground?

I recently got my developers license for HeroEngine's HeroCloud and have something like 99 Developer licesnes. Of course I'd like to create my own MMORPG, but I have zero artistic abilities and am focused on learning HeroScript (I'm a decent programmer). At the moment I don't have a single idea for a game, but will be focused on creating video tutorials for other HSL learners in the future.

I have plenty of accounts for any of you guys that want to learn to world build in HE. Anything you do in there will of course be your own. If I do end up making a game and you want to keep your stuff in it we could work out some way for me to buy it or whatever.

If your interested, reply here, or shoot me an email at jeramyRR@gmail.com

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    You seem way under-qualified to handle something as big as an MMORPG. I doubt many will want to work for you.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    You seem way under-qualified to handle something as big as an MMORPG. I doubt many will want to work for you.

He's not looking for people to work for him, though? He's got a bunch of licenses and looking to hook people up if they're interested in learning the toolset.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really awesome of you to share. Kudos!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

As it's stated, it's not a payed gig, nor does the guy expect for your to give him free stuff. It basically in the area of "lets do something and see how things go in our spare time".

Once things do get serious, serious talks will be done.

If anything, it seems like the guys does have a realistic idea of how things will evolve.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Good luck, I received my license about a month ago.. I'm working with a couple of programmers and it has been an amazing experience so far.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rai, how are your programmers doing with HSL? I've been diving into the wiki as much as I can. I'm amazed at how indepth they've taken this scripting engine. I also like the fact that I can extend HSL with my own C++ dlls.

@DEElekgolo, the other guys are right. While at some point I will want to develop a game, right now I'm concentrating on learning HSL and creating video tutorials for others that want to develop on HeroEngine. I don't really have any creative abilities at all so I know it'd be a waste of my time (and others) if I pursued game development right now. I'm just offering a playground for any of you guys that want to learn the world building tools and art piplines for HeroEngine.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    jeramy79 wrote: »
    @Rai, how are your programmers doing with HSL? I've been diving into the wiki as much as I can. I'm amazed at how indepth they've taken this scripting engine. I also like the fact that I can extend HSL with my own C++ dlls.

They think it's a fairly adaptive language, haven't had any brick walls with it yet.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    if you want people to take you seriously you need to get some groundwork done beforehand.

talk to people individually on IRC maybe and draw up a game design document, maybe make a wiki for it and get the project rolling. Anyone can come along and be an 'ideas man' and say they're going to learn it as they go, which is fair enough but you need to HAVE a project before people will jump on board.

I am being a bit harsh here but it's true.

i think it's a cool thing you are doing though, sharing these licenses with people to get something going. Make a good argument for people to do this and they will. Start with absolutely nothing though and I guarentee you that people will take the licenses and give you nothing.

Good luck and I'll be watching this one.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chimp, I don't think you understand my post. I'm not signing people up to create a game. For myself, I'm just learning HSL. Anyone else that wants can sign on and play around with the tools or build an area, or learn HSL themselves.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread depicts how people are not reading what's written, feels bad.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    thought pc was different :(

kudos for sharing! swotor was made with this, huh? interesting...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Not something I'm interested in but serious kudos for offering. Good luck with your developing :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Jesus don't hold back or anything!

Nice one for offering this up OP :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'd be very interested in learning the toolset, and the pipeline as an artist.

and of course if you would like me to provide you with art assets in future, all you need is to ask :)
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty shoot me an email at jeramyRR@gmail.com and I'll set up your account and shoot the details back to you. As far as providing me with art, don't worry about that. Some of the guys in another thread I started,"Artistcally Challenged" have convinced me that I can learn how to create atleast basic art myself.

Sometime in the future when I'm ready to make a real game I may come knocking to purchase some nice art though!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    okay, sending email now.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I think a lot of people here are just skimming past the original post and going into Anti-MMO mode after quite a few people have tried the idea-man approach on this website.

Me thinks these people need to read a bit more and see that this guy is just offering up free licenses for people to dink around with. Jesus people read.....
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks for sharing Mr. Jeramy! I'm sure many here greatly appreciate it.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The Hero Engine guys stopped by Robot a little over a year ago. The engine demo was really awesome!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    downloaded the tools just now, will have a play today :D
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I apologise, 'twas a misunderstanding. Still, I wasn't being negative, I just wanted you to get the best possible start with the project i thought you were doing.

Anyway, good luck with learning it and do post your work!
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    I think a lot of people here are just skimming past the original post and going into Anti-MMO mode after quite a few people have tried the idea-man approach on this website.

Me thinks these people need to read a bit more and see that this guy is just offering up free licenses for people to dink around with. Jesus people read.....

Isn't HeroCloud free to use though?
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Gestalt wrote: »
    Isn't HeroCloud free to use though?

It is and only takes 24 hours to setup.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeroCloud is most definitely 100% free. Getting an account sometimes takes a while because they do them in batches.