Home Technical Talk

double normals 3ds max...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
A plane has a positive face and a negative face, I think, where the latter has no normal just a black face. How can I get normals on both sides of a flat plane?

For example, a hair plane. Ive thought about making an uber thin box method and I couldent find the option anywhere else, there must be a better way. Thanks!

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Basically what you need to do is clone the faces and flip the normals on the clones.

1)select the faces you want to double side

2)click "Detach" in the command panel and check "detach to element" and "detach as clone"

3)the cloned faces are now selected, click "Flip" in the edit polygon command panel
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, in some game engines you can have 2 sided shaders that will draw on both sides.

I'm not too sure but I think in general its more efficient to just add the flipped geo.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    gsokol wrote: »
    Also, in some game engines you can have 2 sided shaders that will draw on both sides.

I'm not too sure but I think in general its more efficient to just add the flipped geo.

I believe double sided materials cost the same as duplicated faces performance-wise. Double sided materials don't light correctly - it's lit based on the face normal, there may be a way to compensate for it with a fancy shader but I think that will be more of a performance hit than duplicate faces.

OK, I was told it doesn't cost as much depending on the engine... so ask your engine programmer or do whatever looks the best.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12