Home Unreal Engine

Questions regarding Epic Citadel

So I was looking at the Epic Citadel map and noticed that they used static meshes for everything. The one thing that it's bugging me is how they created the outside paths/cliffs. The meshes are HUGE, and they used a tileable texture(which is understandable), and I'm also assuming they used mesh paint to create it, but if you look for the materials in the Content Browser, one of them just tiles on X. I'm really curious as to how they managed to properly paint it seamlessly in UDK. Is there any way to shift the U/V of a texture to do this?

Also, is it possible to use more than 2 textures for meshpaint?

Thanks.

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I can't specifically answer about the cliff meshes they used, as UDk is not on this machine.

However, I would say you could use up to 4 textures (or channels) for a single mesh paint material. The VertexColor node has R, G, B, and A channels, serving as four controls to paint different texture setups within one material.

I believe one of their rocks has a setup to paint dirt, moss spots, and full moss. As well as one of their Mayan assets (the square stone platform thing), which you can paint moss, grunge, and something else (I don't remember). It should be in the Demo map where they show off some of their "new" features.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I am not sure wheich mesh you are talking about without a name, but I suspect it is something like this

j1gbl.gif

Or more likely close to how ParoXum did his cliffs in CE3, Check out the videos at the bottom of the first post.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81800
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    The UV's are actually setup really weird. You would have thought they would laid out everything flat but it's really all broken up and overlaid on tons of different islands.

It make's sense for things like the road, but pretty strange for the grass parts which is just one huge chunk.

It is for mobile games so maybe they just wanted to be able to instance the material with out changing the tiling scale.
  • couto607
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair wrote: »
    I can't specifically answer about the cliff meshes they used, as UDk is not on this machine.

However, I would say you could use up to 4 textures (or channels) for a single mesh paint material. The VertexColor node has R, G, B, and A channels, serving as four controls to paint different texture setups within one material.

I believe one of their rocks has a setup to paint dirt, moss spots, and full moss. As well as one of their Mayan assets (the square stone platform thing), which you can paint moss, grunge, and something else (I don't remember). It should be in the Demo map where they show off some of their "new" features.

Could you give me an idea of how I would go about using more than 2 textures? The way I have the blend material set up is with a Lerp, then 1 texture plugged into A, one into B, and a vertex color plugged into the Alpha slot. I'm not too experienced with the materials editor in UDK so I don't know if there are any other nodes that could make this easier. You mentioned that there are multiple channels, but how can I assign different textures to each channel?

Also, if you could let me know what the name of that rock you're referring to, or what map it's in, that would be great.

Thanks.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    @couto607
    That's it, yes. But if you look at the 'Vertex Color' expression, it has four output nodes (R, G, B and A) - one of which you plug into the LERPs Alpha input.
    Depending on which one you plug into the LERP, it will blend based on the strength of that colour painted onto the mesh.

So if you plug in the Red node to the LERP, then you'll need to paint red on the mesh to blend between the LERPs A and B textures. Plugging in Alpha means you need to paint in Alpha and so on.

Chaining/Adding/Multiplying up to four LERPs together with a different Vertex Colour in each one's Alpha input will give you the ability to blend between four textures in different ways.