Home General Discussion

A Few Questions Concerning the Blizzard Internships

Hi guys, I'm new to the Polycount forum. It's a great site! I'm currently applying for the forthcoming 2012 Blizzard internships in the writing department.

The only thing is, I have a few questions that that are really bugging me:

1) Is it possible to apply to multiple positions? And if so, how far should I adapt my application?

2) When do you generally expect to hear back from the hiring team?

3) Do you guys know what type of questions are asked in the phone interviews?

4) Are there any other tips you know of that could help me out in the this daunting process?

5) For my Creative Writing Portfolio, I've included a 9-page Victorian horror story and a 6-page excerpt from a longer Fantasy story. Do you guys think these are worthwhile, content and lengthwise, for submission and review?

This is all new to me, so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Heya, I participated in this last year and also had a phone interview with them. There are others on the board that actually got the internship.

1) As of last year, yes. I applied for 2 concept positions and 2 environment artist positions. I did not tailor my resume / portfolio for each position, but I most definitely tailored the cover letters. I was contacted back for the D3 environment artist internship, out of the 4 I applied for.

2) The whole process took quite a while. You have to think of the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of applications they get for these. Blizzard is a pretty prestigious company that a lot of people dream about working at, even if they have 0 skill and experience. I don't remember what the deadline was, but I think I didn't hear anything back from them until late April or early May

3) They ask pretty standard interview questions. Why do you like their games? What you think you could bring to the team? Google this and you'll find a big list of standard interview questions

4) Tip: Always have some questions of your own. If they're smart, valid questions it'll show them you're very interested in them and the position and are knowledgeable in your field

5) I don't do writing, no idea

Just Google lots of things like "game industry interview questions" or something similar. You should find lots.

It's always good to be well prepared. This research will help you in finding a job in general, as I took all the knowledge I had gained in preparation for the internship to the interview that got me the job I'm at now.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your reply, Haiasi. It was endlessly helpful. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
  • vofff
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but it does pertain to the subject at hand. One of the requirements says: Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree, and planning to return to school following the internship.

I would assume this instantly disqualifies recent grads? I'm only asking because I plan on applying and I'll be graduating in May. It seems quite a few studios are doing this now, only accepting current students and not recent grads for internships.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are correct Sukotto. If you are graduating before the internship starts, it disqualifies you. My thought on that is they don't want people ending their internship expecting to be hired immediately. This is pretty standard in any internship in any industry.

It takes the pressure off of them and puts it on the intern / student to kickass while they're there and continue to do so until they graduate. Plus the position (as a job) you're interning for may not be available, but they're willing to extend a hand to teach people what it's like to be in it.

Also, I'd just like to say I'm NOT a Blizzard employee and I do NOT represent their internship program. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone else have any other useful tips? Any input would be greatly helpful. I've spent a long time on my application and would hate to ruin it because of some small mistake.

Is there any disadvantage towards out-of-state applicants?
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems the internships deadline has now arrived, and thus applications are no longer accepted. Did anyone around here apply for any summer positions?
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied for two positions, both on the creative writing side of things. I have noticed a lot of people seem to think the internships are only for students attending a US university, but the application never mentioned that. Also when you are asked which school you attend, the dropdown box contains pretty well every university in the world, including mine in Canada. Lastly, they ask if you need to have a US work permit for the summer position. All thee things seem to imply they do hire international students, or at least US citizens who attend international schools. I wonder why people think it is US only.

Which did you apply for, DeathDealer?
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smkyjoe wrote: »
    I applied for two positions, both on the creative writing side of things. I have noticed a lot of people seem to think the internships are only for students attending a US university, but the application never mentioned that. Also when you are asked which school you attend, the dropdown box contains pretty well every university in the world, including mine in Canada. Lastly, they ask if you need to have a US work permit for the summer position. All thee things seem to imply they do hire international students, or at least US citizens who attend international schools. I wonder why people think it is US only.

Which did you apply for, DeathDealer?
    I think you are correct Smkyjoe. I personally applied to three positions (all in the Creative Writing side). I hope they don't have a limit on the amount of internships you can apply for. I've heard stories about Blizz automatically declining multiple application submissions.

Are you a writing major, or have any writing experience?
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied to the the Story Development and Quest Design positions, which was the third one? I didn't see any notices regarding a limit of positions you could apply to, so I doubt they automatically discount people that do apply to multiples, but I think using the same cover letter for multiple positions would dissuade them, which people might do since they limit you to 5 files of application-related material.

I am in an undergraduate program going for a creative writing major and pro writing minor. I do contract work for a social media games company. How about yourself? You're the first person I've found online that has applied to the creative writing positions, it's nice to find a peer (or competitor). I've never applied to a games internship, so I'm curious to find out what Blizzard's elimination process for the applicants is like.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied to the the Story Development and Quest Design positions, which was the third one? I didn't see any notices regarding a limit of positions you could apply to, so I doubt they automatically discount people that do apply to multiples, but I think using the same cover letter for multiple positions would dissuade them, which people might do since they limit you to 5 files of application-related material.

I am in an undergraduate program going for a creative writing major and pro writing minor. I do contract work for a social media games company. How about yourself? You're the first person I've found online that has applied to the creative writing positions, it's nice to find a peer (or competitor). I've never applied to a games internship, so I'm curious to find out what Blizzard's elimination process for the applicants is like.
    The third for me was the Publishing Assistant position. I'm a Creative Writing major, Italian minor.

Actually, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've not encountered anyone involved in the writing side of things, and I'm also curious about Blizzard's hiring process.

How long was your resume? How much creative writing work did you submit (any genre pieces)?

It's great to finally meet someone going into the same position. At least now, it dosen't feel like I'm diving in alone. :)
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't see the publishing assistant position, oh well, I'm more interested in the creative side of things. My resume was two pages, nothing that I think would blow them out of the water, just a little in the way of related work experience and a little that doesn't relate in any way (retail).

I did submit one story, about 20 pages. I would've done more, but after the resume and two cover letters, there wasn't much room. My program focuses on "literary fiction" and does not encourage genre fiction, since people tend to think it gives them an excuse to get lazy with characterization, etc. The piece I submitted was a post-apocalyptic story, so I guess it would be categorized as genre fiction, but I didn't focus on the post-apocalyptic aspect, which is unarguably overdone.

Good luck with it from here on out, let me know if you hear from them at any point and I'll do the same.

I saw you submitted a Victorian horror and Fantasy, are those your preferred genres?
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't see the publishing assistant position, oh well, I'm more interested in the creative side of things. My resume was two pages, nothing that I think would blow them out of the water, just a little in the way of related work experience and a little that doesn't relate in any way (retail).

I did submit one story, about 20 pages. I would've done more, but after the resume and two cover letters, there wasn't much room. My program focuses on "literary fiction" and does not encourage genre fiction, since people tend to think it gives them an excuse to get lazy with characterization, etc. The piece I submitted was a post-apocalyptic story, so I guess it would be categorized as genre fiction, but I didn't focus on the post-apocalyptic aspect, which is unarguably overdone.

Good luck with it from here on out, let me know if you hear from them at any point and I'll do the same.

I saw you submitted a Victorian horror and Fantasy, are those your preferred genres?
    I submitted the two stories mentioned above, plus a sample from a Science Fiction Graphic Novel I worked on. This approach may help considering the variety of genres submitted; plus it shows a slice of trans-media experience.

I really enjoy writing in the horror and fantasy genres. They give me a great sense of freedom, with the opportunity to creatively run wild.

And yes, I will definitely keep in contact!
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a good range of samples to send, I hope they like it.

I'm working on a horror story now, need 85 pages of it for my end of the year final. It's definitely an interesting genre to work in, a lot of room to play.

Good luck, hopefully we hear back soon, but I did read in other forums that they don't get back to applicants until April usually.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems slightly odd that no one else on PolyCount has applied for a Blizzard Internship position. Perhaps they have, but just haven't posted in this thread.
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is strange, luckily the majority of people on this site probably wouldn't be applying to the same positions as us, but there definitely were plenty of art internships on the board for this summer.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you applied to any other internships outside of Blizzard?
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I checked out some other big gaming companies, but couldn't find any creative writing internships on their sites. Have you?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It seems slightly odd that no one else on PolyCount has applied for a Blizzard Internship position. Perhaps they have, but just haven't posted in this thread.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65623
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I checked out some other big gaming companies, but couldn't find any creative writing internships on their sites. Have you?
    No, I haven't either.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Yes, I have read that thread. And while it was endlessly helpful, full of insightful opinions and observations, it unfortunately is two years old. There seems to be no attention in regards to 2012.
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we can get more people posting on this thread for the 2012 internships. That other one is helpful, but a bit inactive.

Yeah, too bad there aren't any sites that effectively compile writing jobs/internships. I've looked around and found very messy, inefficient ones, but nothing I would rely on.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've come across the same problem. Excluding Gamesutra, I find most jobs sites to be outdated, artificial, and seriously unreliable.
  • teagls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied, but it was for one of the software engineering positions.
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I applied for their internships this year... 3 of them specifically... even though I don't have a ton of work to show, I'll hope that my passion kinda shines through 8)

I'd be honored just being interviewed
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never try to sell that your passion is the reason you should be hired. You'd be tossed out the door in a second.

Rather you should be discussing how qualifications and skills and how even in an internship you could benefit the team.
  • DeathDealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And so another month passes. :)

Has anyone heard anything yet? The wait is quite unbearable.
  • teagls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually contacted. I was extremely surprised since I read that responses would not be given out until April.

My first interview is with a team, I was expecting it to be a one on one. I'm a bit nervous ,but I hope it goes well.
  • jdlee31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats!

by any chance, was it the mobile software engineering position?
  • teagls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you.

Yes, it was for the mobile software engineer position.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Congrats man! Last year I applied at Blizz for a env. artist position on the WoW team in January and didn't hear anything back until late June when they offered me a phone interview and then an art test. Took me a few weeks after I turned in the test to hear anything back.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats Teagls!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Have fun and learn everything you can! Congrats :)
  • jdlee31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming that Blizzard had finished looking at all the applications for the mobile software engineering position, considering someone at Teamliquid was also emailed back.
  • Defias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Happy I found this thread.

I applied for the communications internship position and received an email with some follow up questions about 2 weeks ago. I have not had an interview scheduled yet.

Has anyone else applied for this position?

I created a Facebook group for applicants to join so we can share information and (hopefully good) news as we get it. Please feel free to join and share whatever info you have! Good luck to everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/287628267973243/
  • Trugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teagls:

How did the interview go? What kinds of questions did they ask you?
  • Defias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I accidentally just denied someone access to the Facebook group. If that was you I'm sorry and please re-ask to join! Thanks!
  • Smkyjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any news anyone?
  • skladfin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, a question.

I just got my rejection E-mails, but I noticed that I had an unaswered call from a Restricted number on April 27th(Friday) in the morning. And I had heard that Blizzard calls from Restricted numbers. Just wondering about my chances if I had picked up the phone.

Thanks guys
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    They would most likely leave a message for something like this if you missed the call. Probably was a telemarketer or bill collector. :)