Home Technical Talk

textures in Unity on IOS

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
Ok hope someone can give me a little heads up here. I want to use multiple materials for an environment running in Unity on IOS prob, everything above 3GS, now here is the issue... I want to bake the shadows/ambient occlusion to a separate UV channel, I have been told this will give me a drastically large hit to the frame rate.. is this true and if so does any one have any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks guys!

Jody

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's probably true - it'll require another pass on the shader which is hard work for an iphone.

You're probably better off using unique textures in a lot of cases as the phones have a lot of graphics memory and not a lot in the way of cunning GPU features.

This is based on the renderer I work with - I don't know enough abut the underside of Unity to say for certain
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Ah right cheers. Using unique textures would be fine if I can use enough. Do you have any ideas, even a rough estimate, of how many textures I can use per scene? Assuming a worst case scenario I have 4 characters rigged on screen, I'm just using diffuse textures and all textures are 512*512...

Thanks again!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you've got 60 odd mb to play with if memory serves - thats for everything though, not just textures
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unity does have all this built in.

Check the Beast lightmapping stuff, ensure your models to be lightmapped have generate lightmap UVs ticked (or your model has a lightmap UV channel) and are set as Lightmap Static. Ensure the materials have a lightmapped shader.

The hit isn't that significant (other than another texture call). Only way to tell for sure is to give it a go.

Lightmaps're fine on Android for me (not got any iOS stuff to test on).
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it'll depend a lot on the phone I'd have thought - an s2 is not the same as a desire

It's probably safe to assume that unity will take care of the oily bits and youll get decent performance out of what you want to do though - my comments are based on the understanding that fill rate is usually the sticking point on iphone so you want to minimise the number of times a pixel gets touched
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    There is no 'second pass' (a 'pass' draws the whole geometry a 2nd time) for lightmaps on iOS.
    3GS can access up to 8 textures in a single pass if I recall correctly.
    You'll get the best performance by using vertex colors for lighting, but performances are ok with lightmaps even on the oldest devices.

Avoid transparent/additive/"blended in any way" materials, they're killing the fillrate: iOS use tile rendering - a sort of defered rendering - which is very efficient with opaque meshes.

Have a look at this for iOS optim in Unity:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/08/18/fast-mobile-shaders-talk-at-siggraph/
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stand corrected

thats interesting, not the way ours works at all..
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    If you are using static lighting on your background (no realtime light effects) then write a shader that only calculates the diffuse combined with the lightmap and does not calculate lighting on the geometry at run time, it will speed things up immensely.