Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4 Polypaint issue

Hey Guys, I'm having some issues with Zbrush today. I finished this project for class in December and I'm going back to it to clean it up and the like and now the texture is messed up. I've tried messing with it and going to other back up files and same issue is there from when I started painting it, but after I retopo'd it.

Not sure if the files are corrupt or if it's something else, so I thought I'd hit you guys up before I started redoing everything to see if there was a fix.

sadDino.png

So here you can see the issue I'm having.

sadDino2.png

Here I tried painting over it in the middle and right with RGB, and the on the left with MRGB.

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think I've had something similar happen before... have you tried filling the subtool with just the material again? Like press the M button and then go to Color\Fill Object.
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll admit I don't understand much of painting in Zbrush on the best of days. But I did what you said, and it looks like it replaces all of the orginal texture on the model.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Texture and polypaint is a different thing. As haikai said, I also encountered that before.
    Apply the Material again (make sure only m is active) then load/import your original texture on with the left tab and load and apply it with the right texture tab.

The is nothing wrong or broke with your model or texture, it is just some adjustment ; )
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It's not a corruption, it's simply that at some point down the line, especially if you were painting with MRGB like you said, you've simply given those patches of the model a different material.

With the exception of the flatcolor Material, what you see in zbrush is a combination of two things; the current color/polypaint information, and the current material assigned to the object. You have three options for painting:

RGB = Painting only color information to a vertex
    M = Painting/assigning the current material to a vertex
    MRGB= Painting both the current material and color

Changing the material will not change the RGB color information; only if you have RGB or MRGB active will Color: Fill replace this data. What you'll want to do is switch to Material only mode (M) like Haikai suggested, and fill it with the FlatColor Material which will remove all the material information. You'll then be free to go through the list of materials to find one you like (for painting you might want to stick with one of the more basic ones), and then when you do any subsequent painting, use RGB mode only.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry about that- I reread my last post and I can see where it could have been confusing. I think the others explained it splendidly though. As with other things about Zbrush, polypainting isn't exactly the most intuitive process, but your problem should be fixable. :poly136:
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG!!! It Worked!

You guys are life savers! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

I was so discouraged yesterday when I saw what had happened. So thank you very very much for the help!!!

-mike