Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final year 3D project

HI! ...so..

First of all I'm new at the forums here, so howdy how :)

second of all, forgive for jumping straigh into this, but I figure, lets not beat around the bush :D

RIGHT! I'm about to start work on my final year 3D project, in which I have chosen to do a character for a game idea of mine. I'll be honest, I'm not a brilliant 3D artist, I'm still sort of in the process of learning. My previous year works have been basic to say the least, but not from lack of trying. I simply had trouble understanding everything and getting a little annoyed with the tedious little vertex moving.

ANY WAY! I am determined to do my best this year. My first year project was a fish tank and an ipod transformer, which wasn't great, but I was still proud of it. Second year I attempted was a short 11 second 2 character animation, which I got WAY behind on. I can post examples of my work if any of you would like to see it :)

What I want to know is, where should I be looking for information, tutorials and the like. I've got access to the 3ds max 2011 bible (which is the only 3D package I have used so far, not including a small mess around with mud box) I will be getting into z-brush and mud box as well this year. I just don't entirely understand the process.

Far as I know, its create the concepts, take it to 3ds max, model the character, rig, bone, texture etc all in the same program. Modeling, I'm alright-ish with, texturing theres alot I don't understand about shaders, maps, and god knows what else in the roll outs.

I guess, in summary, I don't want to be told on here how to do everything, I'd just like to know where to find the information I'm looking for and the best tutorials etc. I figured people that are good in this area will know the best places to go for learning.

I know this should probably be placed else where (not entirely sure where) but I do intend to upload my work as I progress. I do hope I'm not being too... demanding I guess :/

Well, thanks in advance, ~Nipples~

Replies