Home General Discussion

learning russian

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I want to learn russian because I want something to do. Has anyone here learned russian? i've heard its surprisingly easier than expected, especially because most words are spelled exactly how they sound, and there is a letter for every sound in the language, like ch, sh, and "z" in vision.

I have a friend who is willing to learn with me (who is really interested in other languages) so itd be great to talk back and forth to eachother with complete fluidity for privacy.

What are the best techniques for learning a language (those of you who have) obviously memorization isn't the best way to learn at all, ive heard contextual learning is the most logical way and its how our brain learned english in the first place.

We learned by hearing words we've never heard before being plugged into context with a native sentence. Like "Можно (mohzh-na) go to the bathroom?" you learn Можно as "may i" and immediately remember with the word with the action rather than translating it in your head first.

So what are peoples views of learning languages?

ps I wanted to learn finnish but supposedly its harder than Russian. Dutch and German are apparently the easiest for english speakers to learn but they dont have the most awesome fucking alphabet in the world.

Are there any online games I can play that will surround me with Russian?

Replies

• aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    frell wrote: »

Perhaps just play the Russian-language versions of the games you already do? In the past, some games have had multiple languages available, I don't know if developers are still doing that apart from the region-specific copies, though.

Edit: Maybe Stalker and Metro 2033 come in readily-switchable-to-Russian modes?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    One thing you can do, if you happen to play WoW, is to go and download the Russian client for that. Then you can edit a text file in the WoW directory and set it to connect to the US servers.

Since you already know the game it'll be easy to still know what you're doing. Just gotta learn to read Russian, which honestly isn't that hard.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I wanted to socialize with people in russian, not just have the ui change
  • Zombie Acorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless you are surrounded or forced to use Russian in your everyday life with real people (over chat or otherwise) its unlikely to be an easy task. Very small differences in the way things are pronounced and actually used in the real world vs. what you see in a book. On the plus side there are many Russians attempting to learn English also and you can google for chat exchanges.

If you keep at it anything is possible though. I have been living in an area where I am forced to speak Portuguese and am able to converse now without any formal training a year later. I think it is the best way to learn if possible (actually having conversations).
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I planned to change alot of my game language settings to russian along with my phone settings, I think there is also a way to translate web searches from english to russian.

Me and my friend play games often, and if both of us try to not use english and learn words as we need them we will build our vocabulary quite quickly.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Russian is my first language.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The easiest way for learning a language is if you also like the culture that comes with it. It's easy if you like their music and you can play it all day long and listen to lyrics and radio shows.

It helps if you're interested in what's going on in that country because you'll want to watch / read the news in their language. Pick some easy newssite first and then later move to more sophisticated news sources.

Gaming, movies are also obvious choices.

Russia supposedly also has many home grown web services that mimic popular western services - just like the Chinese have their own version. Find out what websites Russians use for twittering, watching online videos, what chat clients are popular.

I think a major problem you'll have first is that it won't be easy to be accepted unless you have a certain level of conversation skills. Because truth is, it can be rather cumbersome to deal with people who's command of the language is very basic (e.g. if you invite them to your ventrilo server in WoW ;) )
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just order yourself one of them Russian wives. Two birds with one stone.
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you will need a better reason than, " I want something to do." It is a very difficult language for an english speaker to learn. I took two semesters, and more than half the class did not make it to the second semester. All those that did had experience with at least one other foreign language, so they knew what they were getting into. That amount of study would only allow me to hold my own in an average conversation, but that was about it. To get to that level took a lot of practice and patience. If you just like the alphabet, learn that and have a good time transliterating english with it. Besides, russians write in cursive, not block letters, so keep that in mind.

If you do decide to go through with it, you will at minimum need these:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/5000-Russian-Words-Russian-English-English-Russian/dp/0893571709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327979930&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: 5000 Russian Words: With All Their Inflected Forms and Other Grammatical Information : A Russian-English Dictionary With an English-Russian Word Ind (9780893571702): Richard L. Leed, Slava Paperno: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/750-Russian-Verbs-Their-Uses/dp/0471012742/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327979983&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: 750 Russian Verbs and Their Uses (9780471012740): Issa R. Zauber, Jan R. Zamir, Sonia Nelson Zamir: Books[/ame]
    And a russian dictionary

Most important of all, you will need a russian friend (or friends) who will tolerate your horrible russian.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to learn russian because I want something to do. Has anyone here learned russian? i've heard its surprisingly easier than expected, especially because most words are spelled exactly how they sound, and there is a letter for every sound in the language, like ch, sh, and "z" in vision.
    if you can familiarize yourself with cyrillics, it's going to be somewhat easy to read Russian;
    however, the pronunciation is different from English (closer to German probably), and there's a lot of underlying grammar crap you'll have to learn (we have a fair share of that);
    unless you know someone irl who has a decent command of verbal Russian, it will be really tough to pronounce words correctly (I cringe every time I hear someone tryharding to read Russian in movies/vidya)
    if you have a local learning group with a few native speakers, it would be neat;

I can't help you with learning techniques; contextual learning sounds legit though.

With Russian there's an added layer of difficulty in the sentence structure - it's not as fixed as one employed in English, so you can have nouns/verbs floating around elaborately. (If you've seen some weirdly composed sentences coming from a native russian speaker, it's the same problem in reverse.)
    ps I wanted to learn finnish but supposedly its harder than Russian. Dutch and German are apparently the easiest for english speakers to learn but they dont have the most awesome fucking alphabet in the world.
    Did you want to learn Finnish like in go to Finland and communicate there? In that case, Swedish would be a better fit. It's also quite easy to learn;
    Finnish is entirely different language group, and it's quite terrible to get into.
    allods online?
    with wow, my friends generally stay away from Russian servers due to enormous amounts of fucktards;
    for social networks, try livejournal or vk.com (local facebook rip-off with pr0n and muzak), but beware of morons.
    Bigjohn wrote: »

also this. you get fresh made borsch and pirogi as an added bonus, so it's a win-win.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15

This! One day, if I turn single again, I'll do it =)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    rosetta stone is a pretty cool game... :)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    How about watching some Russian movies and/or listening to music with Russian lyrics?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well on second thought I was thinking of learning Norwegian though because it's sentence structure is similar to English, and fewer cases than English, and easier to pronounce than dutch

So just in general? Opinions on languages and difficulties?
  • Mark Dygert
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Germanic languages like Dutch and Norwegian are more similar to English..But if you serious about willing to put on time to learn a language I'd suggest you to learn a common one with larger native speaker population.
    Tenses in Russian is relatively simple so it seems easy to learn at the first time. But there is too much expectations in that language and gender distinctions for every fkin object which is doubles up the amount of stuff you need to remember,it's very discouraging.
    Also identical spelling and sounding of a language don't make it easy,really.Finnish is the ultimate example of that.

If you only want to learn a language for killing time I'd say any Germanic language is relatively comparable with your mother tongue.But I still don't get the point of your intention to learn a new language.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is with you guys lol? Why can't I be interested in just learning a language and languages in general? No one else thinks its cool how other countries developed communication from roots?

If I didn't have someone learning it with me yes itd be useless but I do and itd be great to just talk in a different language. And just being able to say you know a language like that makes you really interesting.

All you see here in America is English and Spanish, if they saw Norwegian or Russian you'd be surprised.

Someone has told me Indonesian was the easiest language they've learned. How does that compare to Norwegian? Id agree a more widely used language would be more useful, so what language is easiest of the most popular?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as a person who has done it, I learned English at a late age, I cant tell you that it's not really practical without immersion. I guess you could pick a language, and then take classes and whatnot, and if you keep that up for years upon years, you may get to a point where you're pretty good. But even then, to be fluent you need to be at a place where they speak that language.

Which kinda begs the question. If you have to eventually be in the place where they speak the language, why go through all those years of study beforehand? Why are you interested in that language to begin with?

Hopefully you like the culture. Say you like Swedish culture and you wanna learn Swedish. By far the most practical way to learn it is to move to Sweden and immerse yourself in it. You'll be fluent in less than a couple of years. Anything else doesn't really make sense. You may as well learn Klingon or Elvish.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    One thing I would caution you about Россия is that it is extremely rich in idioms. Some of them get very convoluted or obscure. Just something to be aware of and know going in.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as a person who has done it, I learned English at a late age, I cant tell you that it's not really practical without immersion. I guess you could pick a language, and then take classes and whatnot, and if you keep that up for years upon years, you may get to a point where you're pretty good. But even then, to be fluent you need to be at a place where they speak that language.

Which kinda begs the question. If you have to eventually be in the place where they speak the language, why go through all those years of study beforehand? Why are you interested in that language to begin with?

Hopefully you like the culture. Say you like Swedish culture and you wanna learn Swedish. By far the most practical way to learn it is to move to Sweden and immerse yourself in it. You'll be fluent in less than a couple of years. Anything else doesn't really make sense. You may as well learn Klingon or Elvish.

:( Thats not fun. I wanted to learn a language just to have something to study and see improvement in and see how other people converse. I wont be moving anywhere anytime soon and especially not to Europe :\

Actually heres an article that blatantly disagrees with the requirement to be in a country in order to learn http://www.linguatrek.com/blog/2011/07/you-dont-need-to-live-in-a-foreign-country-to-learn
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    My art director is Norwegian born. Man that language is the craziest language i've ever heard
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    My art director is Norwegian born. Man that language is the craziest language i've ever heard
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that Finnish beats it by a long shot.. probably the ugliest language in the world :poly122:

I started studying Japanese for the same reasons as you frell.. one year I spent just studying by myself whenever I had some spare time (busrides, shower...:poly136:), then I moved there for 2 years.. now I have a Japanese wife (not a mailorder one though, thats an awesome idea though! :poly142:) and can get by speaking the language and what not..

good luck with whatever language you choose! and "just becaue I'm bored" is not a bad reason at all! :):thumbup:

edit: my mother is Polish, so I speak that as well.. and my wife has a Latvian friend here in Sweden who teaches her Russian... damn that russian :poly127:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the crazy thing about Norwegian is the sentence structure is almost spot on with english, so its a matter of switching out words and pronunciation thats the real hard hard part.

I read that learning Norwegian is pointless because most people in and around Norway speak perfect english lol

I still want to learn russian but I dont even want to start with the new sentence forms, completely unrelated and difficult to remember (ish) words, the many cases, male and female all the time etc.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's going from one extreme to the other. Not saying it's impossible to learn at home. And I'm not saying that you absolutely have to go to another country to learn it.

Just that I would imagine that the end goal would be to converse with people in that language, is it not? Well, if you wanna learn Swedish, where do you find Swedish people? In Sweden.

I guess you could learn at home. But then I don't know what you'd do with that knowledge. And keep in mind that learning a language is in some ways similar to learning an instrument. It's a commitment that will take years.

If you have some purpose, like say reading Dostoevsky in the original language, then I guess it makes sense to learn it on your own. It really depends on what the purpose is.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its real fun actually. Jeg har tatt inaitiv til laere mer Norsk :) Really fun to pronounce stuff and I enjoy how the language works for english :)

Honestly this is like the 2-3 years I spent learning to program in Java, I never used it professionally it was more of a phase with runescape private servers. Once I started to get decent at it and made my own programs it slowed down, but I never forgot it (the logic at least) but I forget names of packages and their implementations etc.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Jeg har tatt inaitiv til laere Norsk :)
    Unless I'm mistaken, what you said right there is that you've taken the initiative to teach norwegian. In swedish/norwegian we use the same word for learn/teach, you missed a couple of words too. My point is that it's not just translating each word from english into norwegian, there is a lot more to it.

True fact: I have an english friend who's lived in Sweden with a swedish girlfriend for over 10 years and his swedish is still just mediocre(about the same level as someone who's lived here for 1-2 years). You have to have the right attitude to learn the language. Many swedish people are very fascinated by english-speaking people and whenever they meet one they want to use their english skills so it's easy to fall into that trap.
    If you're gonna move to the country which's language you're learning, you have to insist on using it's language. Good luck btw!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sort of getting angry at google translator already (I use it to check my sentences) but that translated straight to "I have taken the initiative to learn Norwegian" I know its not direct switching out words, as I've already experienced with onsker ikke and ville ikke, sorta comes out as "would not" and "want not (do not want)"

While I was going through the han, hun, du, det, jeg, list and pairing it with words I already knew and checked, laere came up as "teaches" when I checked it. Like hun laere norsk, "she teaches norsk"

I have a friend who is native swedish that I talk to almost daily, and he said compared to english swedish was much harder but I found that hard to believe (germanic). In fact, through a quick google quite a bit between norwegian and swedish are the same. Interesting. Provided theyre both on the same difficulty level, I may switch to swedish so I have someone to really be corrected with

Real cool though, thanks for the info!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I met Norwegian people who claimed they didn't understand Swedish at all ;) But Norwegian itself is rather neat - pretty easy to read if you already speak German and English. Then you know 2/3rds. Now talking and listening to it is quite difficult though :(
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking it is real fun for me, its so abnormal. Im looking to nail the sentence structure first though, so i've been reading up on that. I forgot how hard it was to 'think' in another language. Brings back memories of my spanish classes in early high school. The "blue car" in spanish is "car blue." Its a very weird barrier that im trying to figure out
  • Joshua Stubbles
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    well it might be a "my blog" topic, but language learning is quite important if you work outside the US of A. My current studio has Chinese classes for foreigners, English classes for Chinese. My last studio offered Norwegian classes....

At the places I've worked so far had lots of different languages, and even if the company language was English, it does help a lot if you know the native language of the country or the people you're dealing with. Kudos to anyone who makes the effort I'd say.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Русский язык очен хорошо!

(I'm such a noob with Russian..) but hey Frell, check out livemocha.com. Lots of languages to try out. Initial levels are free.

Internet/text immersion there is always Pravda.ru for news and cgralk.ru for digital art.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Kwramm wrote: »
    well it might be a "my blog" topic, but language learning is quite important if you work outside the US of A. My current studio has Chinese classes for foreigners, English classes for Chinese. My last studio offered Norwegian classes....

At the places I've worked so far had lots of different languages, and even if the company language was English, it does help a lot if you know the native language of the country or the people you're dealing with. Kudos to anyone who makes the effort I'd say.

While I agree what you're saying, Josh here does have a point. This isn't really related to game art or our industry in any way. Just someone who wants to learn a language.

Had the title been something along the lines of "Which languages are most used in the industry?" or something along those lines, then that'd be fine.

Back on topic, if you really want to learn a language, you're going to have to give it 110%. It's not something you can learn by just reading a bit of this and a bit of that every once in a while. It's something you need to dedicate yourself to consistently. If you're not in an environment where the language is spoken constantly, it will take that much longer to learn. You need to read, write, and listen to this language a LOT. Having the "because I'm looking for something to do" attitude won't get you far.

Look into something that you are passionate about, say, a language in a country you've always dreamed of visiting. And for the love of god, stay the hell away from google translate.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think someone having a baby is relevant to the industry either lol

In all honesty, the countries with a culture and history that most interest me are korea, japan, china, and russia. But all of those languages are very hard ( i think ). Although there are entire forums focused around learning mandarin chinese, it would be a great language to learn and I definitely wouldn't be alone.

My biggest challenge (I think) would be, after the alphabet, the sentence structure and just trying to think like them in that order.

Personally I cant wait for the release of the game Gunz 2, and Archeage, both will be in korean for almost a year though :s

lol my friend wants me to learn gaelic with him
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Vailias wrote: »
    Русский язык очен хорошо!

высокие пять братан!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know any tricks to learning foreign sentence structures? Is it best to try and learn them as you go or to practice building the sentences in english how they would be built in the other language?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    высокие пять братан!

рофл, хороший один.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    высокие пять братан!
    lmfao at Google translate.

я тоже похвастаюсь что знаю русский на 100% :)
    ya tozhe pochvastayus' chto znayu russkiy na 100% (what i said above using english letters instead):poly142:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do any of you have any experience with Gaelic? I've taken interest in Afrikaans and Norwegian (to get a feel for the process of learning a language) but my friend is really passionate about Ireland and their culture and has always loved the country and he wants to learn Gaelic because hes Irish himself.

It seems like this is an easy language for some but more difficult for others? The pronunciation is fucking insane, the Irish don't deserve to have an alphabet if they aren't going to use it efficiently lol. But its still interesting, anyone here familiar with it?
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 15
    I've been playing around with Livemocha. It's like a cheaper version (parts of it are free) of Rosetta Stone, mixed with social networking so you can get help from Russian users as they get English help from you.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Noia, just the first 2 minutes of this and im loving the pronunciation and the literal translations. Much much better than rosetta. No Irish though :( Its got norwegian though :D

I came back just to thank you again, I can't believe how awesome this site is.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Learn french, it works pretty well with girls :p

Joke aside, I think that learning another language and trying to immerse yourself into another culture is one of the most interesting thing to experience. Ever. Next one for me will be either Russian or Spanish.

Good luck!

-R
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well good luck with russian.
    i personaly hate it.
    i had lessons on russian in school, i chose to learn it, i already knew the alphabet, half of my relatives are bulgarians and still, after half a year i developed a very strong hate for the russian language.

to me the language is way too complicated. i love english though :P and im native german btw.

if you want to learn a language for the sake of learning a language i´d suggest atleast something usefull like spanish, french ore chinese.

chances are you gonna meet lots of people speaking this languages as a game-artist.

also if you are just doing this cause you are bored, enhancing your art skills is something you cant invest too much time in, so i´d personally go for that.

anyway good luck :)
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Goeddy wrote: »
    if you want to learn a language for the sake of learning a language i´d suggest atleast something usefull like spanish, french ore chinese.:)

Whaha, telling someone that Russian is the opposite of useful and then pointing them at a language not existing(Chinese?) might come off as a bit rash and condescending.

Even though I think most people get your point and stance on the question I just felt like correcting some parts whilst disagreeing with you on others! :poly136:

That being said I obviously enjoy the Russian language and I fully support you having a go at it. I also think there will be a strong market for knowing Russia once the real shitstorm breaks lose in Russia and Belarus, and it's secularist society overthrows the totalitarian attitude shown by their leaders and fellow authority. Knowing Russian and Cyrillic will also help you learn other languages neighbouring Russian.

Even though I'm having quite a struggle learning Russian myself I would probably tell you to trying and dedicating some time of the day to fully practice and learn the Cyrillic alphabet, getting a grasp of it seems to help immensely when it comes to breaking up and finally understanding the formatting/grammar of words. It's also really not impossible to learn the alphabet and if you can't bolster the motivation to learn it you will have a problem learning the whole Russian language.

And also remember kids, have fun with it!:thumbup:
    I try to watch a lot of media with russian subtitles, and also Russian speaking with english subtitles, watching Russian movies also helps you understand the stereotypical slightly cold and pesky attitude uniformly shared by the whole Russian people.. :\

I'm also planing on ordering a easy-to-read book so that I can publicly try to stutter out badly misshaped and deformed russian words, whilst eating borsch mixed with vodka on a public bus (obviously allocating my time between reading, scribbling as-well as phrasing and apathetically starring out at the cold world).

Good luck!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang wrote: »
    I also think there will be a strong market for knowing Russia once the real shitstorm breaks lose in Russia and Belarus, and it's secularist society overthrows the totalitarian attitude shown by their leaders and fellow authority.
    not gonna happen tbh
    also there probably was a market for Russian some 20 years ago when telling "Natasha I love your borsch as much as your pet bear" could help with communication, these days russian grls speak decent English if they're worth hitting on.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    ikken wrote: »
    not gonna happen tbh
    Well, even do I do agree that the situation in the east in general might appear extremely bleak atm, I don't think that the situation is bleak to the extent that chances of a revolt/reform/ or generally speaking having a redistribution of power that is profitable for the people of said countries. Lots of thinks can change in the span of a life time, and will certainly indubitably change, of that I am sure.

Not really the right topic for politics it but I do think that learning Russian can indeed prove useful in the long run. That is if you have a passion for the language and the motivation to learn it. It's generally hard as fuck to learn something solely on the purpose of learning, especially if you don't like the concept of learning it in the first place.
    ikken wrote: »
    also there probably was a market for Russian some 20 years ago when telling "Natasha I love your borsch as much as your pet bear" could help with communication, these days russian grls speak decent English if they're worth hitting on.
    Even though I agree that learning Russian to pick up girls might seem a bit stupid, but that isn't really the only use I see for knowing a language. :\

Edit: I do realise that I might come of as terrible naive being. But that's mostly because of the countries history.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Fuse wrote: »
    Russian is my first language.

cheboorashka says what?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I've been having second thoughts about my foot-in-the-door language to figure out what helps me personally learn the most.

Afrikaans ~ 2-3m native (know little but I get it)
    Norwegian ~ 5m native (can make sentences but don't have a big vocabulary)
    Indonesian ~ 23m native 140m total

Im considering switching to Indonesian just for the fact that more people know it. These 3 languages are the flat out easiest for English speakers to learn and I want to learn one of them for, as I said, to experience the process of learning a language.