Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Jungle Scene

Hi, i've just joined the forums and heres my first post. This is a jungle scene i've made in UDK in my spare time over the last few months, I was inspired by the foliage demo from UDK, it thought is was the most badass thing i'd seen when it came out and wanted to make something similar.

I used max and zbrush for most of the work.

Anyway, hope this is the right place to post this:

jungle_udk_samgrice_01.jpg
jungle_udk_samgrice_02.jpg
jungle_udk_samgrice_03.jpg
jungle_udk_samgrice_04.jpg
jungle_udk_samgrice_05.jpg
jungle_udk_samgrice_06.jpg

Replies

• DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Great scene, love your rocks thought they where udk's default rocks for a second their, possibly to help with the look of your environment you could add a bit more damage to the statue's face its looking smooth . hey what do i know XD great scene so far
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah the edges of the statue could of done with being a bit softer and more chipped, could of put that in the zbrush model before the bake.
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Hey Sambo , good textures here man especially for the rocks!
    I d'like to see some UVs :poly130:
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really good, but isent that alitlle high polycount for those single rocks?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a cool start.

I think it looks much better with the night time lighting. Looks much more dynamic. I think you should stick with that.

I think that the rock slates on the ground are too straight near the pond..it gives a bad silhouette. Try cutting into a few rocks, breaking away corners, etc to make this look more interesting. Your lilly pads look too big to me.

Your rocks are a little dense, but considering how much youve scaled them up, and how often you are using them to border the scene (provided you are instancing them) they are probably fine performance wise.

I'm a little bit let down by some of your sculpts...I think the rocks are nice, and the final UDK shots look good, but you didn't do a whole lot of detail on the face or the stone blocks. I think you could have added some nifce wear on the corners with those.

I think the tree looks nice..at first glance it looked like you were using the trees from the foliage demo. I think that the top could have much more vegitation, though. I think with trees that are this thick with such large roots might have larger branches and more leaves.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really like the big natural stones, how did you do them?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I feel the stone blocks should look a little bit more worn out. As they are now they seem to be completely free of almost any damage and water and wind erosion.

Have a closer look at Angkor Wat ruins:

Adventure-in-Cambodia.jpg

Angkor_Wat_Cambodia4_Bayon.jpg

I'm assuming that the scene is based somewhat on Angkor Wat, or other examples of South Asian architecture. If that's the case then you certainly need to apply more water erosion and make the texture covered in moss and lichen to make them look a little bit more like the ruins in the above images. South Asia has a monsoon cycle so such ruins should be exposed to a LOT of rain.

I hope that helps :) Keep at it.

Edit:

You could also add some of that washed out bluish-green colour to your rock textures. I think they look great in terms of the level of erosion, but could benefit from some moss/lichen/discoloration/whatever that is :poly142:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    For the record, the two photos above are not Angkor Wat - but yeah the advice is sound. (The first image is Preah Khan and the second could be anywhere but is probably just outside Angkor Thom).

Cambodia does have a real 'wet' season in contrast with its dry season and as such you can expect an awful lot of errosion as a result, and also a lot of growth in and around the stonework itself, particularly of mosses - you should be able to add these things in to your material quite easily.

I'd change your bark on your foliage completely, because at the moment it is difficult to distinguish from your stonework out-of-context; you can tell what a tree is because it looks like a tree, but where you have it meeting the Buddha's head, the two are not well-distinguished from one another. I would probably think about making the stonework itself more desaturated and grey, and more heavily texturing the trunk of the tree (only the roots on a tree are that smooth ;) )

Finally the tiles on the floor don't match the rest of the scene. You need to firstly assume that that are going to have been made at the same time as the head sculpt, so the material and level of damage should be the same. The haphazard scattering doesn't look realistic, and they should probably be integrated into the terrain more, or otherwise tweaked to be more 'overgrown'. My real qualm with them is that they look like modern square-cut western floor tiles, which you won't see anywhere in the aformentioned region of the world. I have quite a few very high-res photos (between 12 and 20 megabit), so if you would like me to upload some somewhere for reference, I can do that.

The scene is looking awesome though, great work :)!
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, all good critisisms, but for the record i'm done with the scene for now, got other things I'm working on.

Specific responses:
    Z3D: i'll upload the rock texture soon
    s_ource: possibly a little high, but my ref was the foliage map and its rocks are like 8,000 polys!
    gsokol: Yeah i think i was a little too subtle with the face details, should of bashed it up a bit more.
    SimonT: i've got various techniques for rocks in zbrush now, these ones used the crumple brush quite a lot. I might do a tutorial if i find the time...
    teaandcigarettes: I tried several moss/lichen techniques on the big rocks, but they always distracted from the overall shape and structure, esp in the first image, so i left them clean. The statue and slabs could of definitely done with more though.
    ambershee: the vine around the statue could definitely help with more colour/material distinction from the stone. The tiles though, while maybe not completely accurate are the effect i was after (collection of loose tiles, like they would slip away if you walked on them)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    ambershee wrote: »
    For the record, the two photos above are not Angkor Wat

Damn it Google, why did you lie to me :poly127: That said, after doing some reading now I realize that people often incorrectly refer to the whole region as Angkor Wat. Mission accomplished; I learned something new today ;)

To add to ambershee's advice. I've been thinking about the lighting/postprocessing and I think you might want to spice it up a little bit. While I'm really digging how it looks like during the night, the scene looks very washed out during the day. Firstly, I would make your sun light a bit brighter, don't be afraid to blow out some of the highlights. You might want to apply some color correction and play around with the levels since the image could use some more contrast.

I would probably change the rendering distance of the fog and move it further away from the camera. You might want to tint it a little bit as well. Then, you could try brightening up the ambient colour; your shadows seem very dark and black at the moment. Make them a bit brighter, throw in some colour and you're golden :)
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the blocky rock texture and uv example:jungle_udk_samgrice_07.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    How did you create your lowpolys? It looks a little like you just decimated them....
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah for the rocks and organic objects i used decimation master and then cleaned up the mesh a little. gave me much better silhouettes and matched the geometry much better than creating low polys from scratch.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    This is really cool, it reminds of the jungle scene that came with the udk. But a bit cartoonish. You may want to scale some of the foliage into difference sizes as well as changing the saturation to give it a bit more variation. Have them grow in clumps. So they look more natural and not pasted.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I really dig the night lighting, creates a cool atmosphere. I second what raul said about the foliage variation. The trees look lined up and copy pasted.