Home Technical Talk

Is there an equivalent to the Eat 3D old pillar Mudbox tutorial for ZBrush?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey, we are trying to decide whether to use ZBrush or Mudbox for our next project. With the exception of one person on the team, nobody has any production experience authoring high to low bakes, or even normal maps for that matter.

Mudbox seems a lot easier to use, but I've found it has performance issues. Is there a ZBrush tutorial that goes through brushing an object similar to the Eat 3D old pillar tutorial. I need a 1-3 day lessen to get the team up to speed, if it's longer than that we might have to use Mudbox purely based on the fact you can learn it in one day.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MLoLGXymY"]Environment Sculpting with David Lesperance - YouTube[/ame]
    This is a promo for a Gnomon Master Class that happened at the end of last year, looks like what you are looking for, but I don't know if they have a DVD of it online video of this out yet though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    In the Fountain Riki uses both Mudbox and Zbrush: he actually does the same thing twice to show both workflows. I think he uses Polycruncher (ext. app) instead of Decimation Master to get his meshes from Mudbox into Max, other than that it's very similar.
  • Bunglo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunglo polycounter lvl 13
    http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_stone

Mudbox is great in that you can open it up for the first time and be sculpting in 30 seconds without someone telling you how to navigate the ui. That being said, once I learned the basics of Zbrush (through the 3.5/4 eat3d dvds), I found my self using that more often than not.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Eat3d fountain is the closest thing to what you want but zBrush has changed so much. I highly recommend lesperences course that m4dcow posted, but it is more conceptual.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be better to start our artists on an introduction to ZBrush, or will the fountain be fine? I see that eat3d has introduction to ZBrush 3.5, and Gnomon has introduction to ZBrush 4.0. Don't want to get the wrong tutorials.

We do have one artist here that is proficient in ZBrush 4.0, so perhaps he could fill in the gaps where the tutorials are out of date.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think you might be fine just having your artist look at zbrush central. Now zbrush comes with a guide. if you want an intro to zbrush though the eat3d tutorials covering how to use zbrush for hard surface sculpting are really good and more up to date than the fountain.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Ok there has to be someway to get that Gnomon Master class with David L.

I mean why would they not sell these after the fact for a premium?

I imagine they would sell VERY well.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    One big plus that zbrush have is go-z love it.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    S_ource wrote: »
    One big plus that zbrush have is go-z love it.

I Use zBrush, but with mudbox you can move between the Autodesk apps, just as easy if not easier than goZ.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If they haven't used zbrush before, probably one of the best things you could have them do is just spend 20 minutes or so reading the Getting Started PDF, and another couple of minutes making sure they soaked it all in. They'll be needlessly confused if they think they're jumping into a 3d scene, orbiting a camera around a model like in Mudbox or any other 3d program. If they understand the difference between the document and the tool, why the tool has to be in edit mode in order to sculpt/paint on it, and think of the entire thing more like rotating a model on a photoshop document, then the hard part is pretty much out of the way. The rest is just getting familiar with how the brushes behave and the various ways you can customize them, and learning to use individual tools like dynamesh /shadowbox /spotlight /transpose /projection master / etc, which is where the zclassroom videos come in handy (or eat3d/digital tutors and the like)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need a tutorial that first shows the art team how to use the interface, but then they need a project to work on. I thought the fountain would have been a good place to start. If not please suggest a better place for them to get started.

I don't mind using more than one tutorial if that works best.
  • Bunglo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunglo polycounter lvl 13
    If you want something that throughly goes over everything beginner, from the interface to using brushes and everything in between, I personally recommend the zbrush 3.5 and 4 dvds from eat3d. Your team can reference exactly what the need within those dvds when ever they need to.

The biggest differences from the 3.5 dvd to 4 is going over things like shadowbox, the interface is largely the same aside from masking selections. Still, I recommend getting both.

The Fountain would work to a certain extent in that you can see what Riki's doing and he gives some tips and insight into techniques, but it's goal isn't to teach zbrush, so I think someone new to the program would still be rather lost in getting comfortable with the software with minimal frustration.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    the education section of zbrush goes over the ui. the eat 3d tutorials shows the same thing but with practical examples especially the first chapters. The only reason i suggest the hard surface ones is because I feel they are more updated than the fountain. Zbrush isn't like other apps with minor updates. The application is really different each time it gets updated, unlike say Max. I have bought most of the tutorials that eat3d has made. I think the hard surface techniques is the way to go.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just took a look at the hard surface stuff, it focuses on character related work, our character guy already knows how to use zbrush. I'm looking for something more worlds related as a project they can do once they get through the 3.5/4 intro training. The onlything I saw on there was the fountain, I don't really want to set a worlds guy off to paint gears of war armour when he's never going to be doing that in production. I'd like them to finish a training assignment that relates directly to worlds.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @malcolm,

If your artists need to learn the basics of ZBrush then I would recommend going with the ZBrush 3.5 Intro DVD as it covers all the basics related to starting to sculpt and learning the ins and outs of navigation etc. It covers things like the brushes, documents, the canvas, masking, working with symmetry, projection master, polypainting, ZSpheres and Morph targets.

The ZBrush 3.5 Character DVD is slightly more advanced and covers the whole process of sculpting a character from a base mesh all the way to a detailing and doing a final polypaint. There is content that is still relevant to both disciplines, and sculpting in general (decimation, more detailed polypainting tutorials, plugins etc.) but it's definitely geared more toward character artists, rather than environment guys, so you are probably better looking towards one of the other DVDs if you want information that is more specific.

The Fountain High Res DVD goes over a ton of really useful sculpting techniques in both Mudbox and ZBrush (Damage to stone, sculpting detailed relief etc.) so I would definitely recommend that you pick it up, though the Mudbox Intro is up to date in regards to the Mudbox side of things as it uses the latest release.

The ZBrush 4 Intro DVD goes over all the new features were in the v4 release and covers things like the new brushes, zprojects, modifiers, subtool updates, shadowbox, layer updates, spotlight, newer plugins like UV Master and BPR. It assumes that the user is at least reasonably familiar with ZBrush and though some basic stuff is covered, it doesn't go over the more basic aspects of ZBrush in great detail, as all that was already covered in the ZBrush 3.5 Intro DVD and nothing really changed to a great extent in that regard.

The training found within the ZBrush Hardsurface DVDs also assumes a reasonable competence with ZBrush and as such, it doesn't go over the more basic stuff like navigation etc. I wouldn't say that either of them are 100% tailored towards character or environmental artists per se, and though the mech in the first DVD and the armored female in the second are human/humanoid, they were used because they provide a visually pleasing and dynamic subject matter, that lends itself easily to hardsurface creation.
    Both DVDs focus on the techniques used for sculpting hardsurface objects in ZB, rather than things like anatomy, human form and more character focus tuition. They both could have been vehicles to the same effect and it was purely an artistic decision to go in that direction.
    The first DVD covers concepting the character, customising the UI, mesh creation, the new hardsurface brushes and using and creating aplhas. The second goes over custom brush creation, Dynamesh (which is used extensively), complex hardsurface mesh creation and detailing the surfaces. The DVDs both show a different way to create hardsurface assets within ZBrush, which is great if an artist doesn't feel 100% happy with one technique or something :)

So to summarise, I would probably recommend the 3.5 intro and 4 intro DVDs along with The Fountain High Res DVD, as they would give the artists a solid understanding of the basics of using ZBrush right through to detailed env. asset sculpting.

The 3.5 intro DVD is still a great way to learn the interface and general usage of ZBrush as the navigation and general application usage has remained pretty much the same between 3.5 to present day ZB4 r2b, with only relatively minor changes/updates to the more basic functions being added with each release.
    Yes, the new features do add an extra layer of complexity to specific tools and advanced features, but the brushes still work in the same way and the techniques shown in the fountain are as still as useable as they were when the DVD was first released, so artists would be able to pick up the fountain DVD and start sculpting with the same techniques Riki used for the floral relief and get the same results. (though there are a ton more brushes now than back in 3.1 ;))

Once they have the basics down, then they shouldn't have a problem working on the hardsurface DVDs and learning all the new stuff like Dynamesh etc.)

All that being said, the techniques found in the Pillar DVD really wouldn't be very hard to transfer across to ZB (or any other sculpting app) once the artists have a grip on their application of choice. Sculpting is sculpting is sculpting really...It's the same with modelling in Max vs Maya. Once artists are happy with the theory, then it's all transferable to other applications with only slight modifications to workflow and compensating for differences in tool names etc.

Mudbox seems to have a faster learning curve than ZB and you can get some amazing results with it, but IMHO, ZBrush is a much more powerful and versatile application that can do things that Mudbox just cant. Plus the fact that I don't think Pixologic have charged anyone for an update for the past 8 or 9 releases, even though its cheaper than MB.

Hopefully that will answer some of your questions :)

Sorry for the wordy post!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy, thanks very much that's a great response. I will be ordering the below tomorrow from eat3d.

3.5 intro
    4.0 new features
    fountain part 1 and 2
    old pillar
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the Environment Sculpting with David Lesperance video is great, i didnt even watch the whole things but it compleaty changed the way i work in zbrush.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    the Environment Sculpting with David Lesperance video is great, i didnt even watch the whole things but it compleaty changed the way i work in zbrush.

That video changed my life. :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Computron wrote: »
    That video changed my life. :)

same that completely changed the way i work in zbrush,
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You guys are making me want to see this video.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to see it too! Is that even possible now that the class is over?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    same that completely changed the way i work in zbrush,

same that completely changed my life,
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, where is the link to the video so I can purchase it for the team?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/2011/

it's a little confusing, but if you want to sign up your studio you can contact them toward the bottom for a discount.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, that site is beyond confusing. If anyone figures out where to find the links and pricing for those environment courses, please post them here.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    yeah the reason I suggested the hard surface dvd is because it covers techniques that show new way to work in zbrush that can be applied to environment artists. It's pretty cool. The first few chapters are all about how to create sub tools, extract meshes and clean them up, customize ui, etc, all basic stuff but showed in a way that someone that never used zbrush can see how useful it is to use these functions. I think it's very basic. What makes zbrush difficult to learn is that it can be annoying if you want it to behave like a 3d app. Also in the past getting brushes to do hard surfaces was really hard. There are a lot of tools in zbrush now that make this a lot easier and fun. You can find all the information for free online but I think with the dvd it helps a lot and it gets you started a lot faster...
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Did anyone find out how to Get the Environment Sculpting with David Lesperance video ? I contacted Gnomon and they have not got back to me....

Argghh . Why is it so hard to give Gnomon my money? :(