Home General Discussion

What are Traditional Art skills?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
What are tradtional art skills in relation to game art?

I made it to an interview for an entry level position, but was told I was rejected because of my lack of tradition art skills, or rather the guy they accepted had them.

What is the best way to gain these skills?

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Paper + Pencil.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Technically speaking I suppose you would say drawing/painting/sculpture and other 'real media' arts.

I guess what they actually mean though is the fundamentals of said traditional arts; colour theory, lighting, composition, things like that.

Basically whilst being able to paint a beautiful oil painting by no means automatically suggests you're an expert with 3D game art, it would suggest you had the fundamentals of art down and could apply them to any 'creative product' to which you applied yourself.

In honest, simple terms;

Anyone can learn a software package and make stuff, it takes an artist to make that stuff look good.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Drawing a concept on a piece of paper using pen or a pencil is called Traditional arts.

It is essential to those who would want to work as a concept artist. Because they have to draw the idea roughly on a piece of paper, than, in many cases, draw the same thing over and over until the client agrees with them or they feel that they have done a better job at it.

What is the best way to gain this skill?

Well, either take traditional art classes or go online learn the basics of the human anatomy or figure arts or environment arts. Get a sketch book, an HB pencil or a HB lead with a standard lead holder. Start sketching.

I started watching stuff like this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5cLzFKh9TE

I hope this helps you to start learning.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life drawing classes are good too.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    You also gotta consider that it may have been a bullshit excuse. They can only hire one person, and you gotta tell something to the other candidates. So often they find anything that's missing and tell you that. Not enough experience is another common one.

Not that I'm knocking traditional art. Should delve into that at any case, just cause it's fun.

But yeah, as others said, the most straight forward way is paper+pencil I'd say. Maybe clay if you're into sculpting.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life drawing is probably the main thing. Even if you aren't a character artist, it will teach you structure, proportions, and flow. Flow comes with gesture drawings.

Try and get into a life drawing class at a local college if you can.

But you could also just look up life drawing poses on google images and deviantart and limit yourself timewise. Like 30 sec, 60 sec, 5 min, 10 min, 30 min, 1 hour. The only problem with that is the image you are drawing from is already flat.

Good luck
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Aye fret not man, Its the industry thats kinda looking for one man army type of people :D, the more one person knows and can do the better it is for company in saving bucks.. well atleast thats how I am seeing things and experienced them.
    You havent mention much about the role it self but lets assume the role is for junior 3d modeller and u r good in texturing and modelling than it should qualify u... but if u dont even know color theory (warm cool color relation) rules of third etc than it might b a down side in geting hired.

So ye do accquir those skills but focus on the main skills more, make stuff that when people see the only word is "Wow" out of their mouths and they want to hire you. Its a advice from Feng Zhu and many other artists whom i have learned from over the years.

Go get ur targets man :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Traditional skills might not necessary involve actual skills in every physical medium, but it does involve everything you'd learn from them like everyone said.

Someone could learn all his traditional skills using only a tablet and a pc, but the pen and paper is quite more portable and gives you freedom to practice wherever.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    "Traditional art skills" means having a background in traditional art training which is focused around life drawing and physical media.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys. I come from one of those BS Game Design schools, luckily, it was lower end on pricing and showed me most of what I need to learn without actually teaching it. Most of what I end up learning I got from listening to you guys.

I understand 'my lack of traditional art skills' might of been a bullshit reason to of gone with the other guy, but, well, other than color theory, and a pottery class, I AM totally without. I think I shot myself in the foot in the interview when 'I say I don't have any,' not mentioning those classes.

The job was for a small established company as an entry level 3d modeling generalist: texturing, modeling, a little animation, but focused on prerendered environments. High, medium, and low poly modeling. It looked like the perfect to find what you love job, get experience/skills for a few years, and get on the triple A grinder.

So... Going to teach myself to draw. I will start a sketchbook thread in that section in a couple of days, if anyone wants to offer advice.

If anyone has suggestions for sites to help learn, I would be appreciative, so far I have Master Class Character Design Studio from Nitewalkr, and Feng Zhu from Hawk12ht. I will be searching to, and starting on monday.

Thanks guys!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Heres a few i can recommend. I think these will easily benefit you weather your into character or environment art, especially the environment side.

Drawing i figure would help a character artist more.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/472/color-Theory%3A-The-Mechanics-of-color
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/185/Practical-Light-and-color
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327779811&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (9780740797712): James Gurney: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Lighting-Rendering-Jeremy-Birn/dp/0321316312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327779822&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Digital Lighting and Rendering (2nd Edition) (9780321316318): Jeremy Birn: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Light-Visual-Artists-Understanding-Design/dp/185669660X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327779828&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Light for Visual Artists: Understanding & Using Light in Art & Design (9781856696609): Richard Yot: Books[/ame]
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Gnomon had a bunch of environment 2D DVDs back in the day from Ryan Church and Feng Zhu. Those should still be good to look at. Really it's just about getting mileage.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    CtrlPaint is a really awesome resource for learning about art. There's videos about tons of theory and techniques with adequate explanation. I've found their videos to be more useful and interesting that most other videos I've watched from Gnomon, Massive Black and such.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Just taking a moment to say awesome attitude Wonkey. It's really cool to see folks sit down and look for ways to genuinely further themselves. :)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I would also recommend an older drawing book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain."

Many of us here know this one and may consider it way too basic in some regards as it is designed to teach those with no drawing skills the required approach to facilitate an artist's mindset - Something that every good artist has a good grip on.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Tj and eld are correct.

The ability to understand form and colour is what they're looking for when they say this.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Reminds me of interview for Arch Visualisation company I went, they turned me down by saying other guy had degree in architecture :D lol, But here is the thing that degree might help but if you have no idea of Vray or MEntal ray and the pain they cause at certain rendering stages ur good as dead lol cause at the end of the day you dont want acutal measurements and elevations but a cool visual shot of the building (in/out).

The point is that just dont bother too much with 2d Skills get them but stay focus on main skills u have, just like I dont think i should go get a degree in Architecture but I do know orthographic views, Elevation plans etc and books to always help me out in sticky situations :).
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    poopipe wrote: »
    Tj and eld are correct.

The ability to understand form and colour is what they're looking for when they say this.

Pretty much what I was trying to get at, and what Ninjas said is the very definition of traditional art skills, but when someone asks for it in relation to game art they most often look for the inherit knowledge that comes from being able to draw, which is stuff that is invaluable to any kind of artform.
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    The point is that just dont bother too much with 2d Skills get them but stay focus on main skills u have, just like I dont think i should go get a degree in Architecture but I do know orthographic views, Elevation plans etc and books to always help me out in sticky situations :).

They're not required skills, but those that do have those skills will be much more valuable artists.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Wonkey wrote: »
    So... Going to teach myself to draw. I will start a sketchbook thread in that section in a couple of days, if anyone wants to offer advice.

Drawing is a good start, personally I find that colour and colour theory is what I see lacking in quite a few artists. They make great models and awesome sculpts but when it comes to textureing or lighting things get a bit bland and uninspired. This makes a massive difference to your skill set, especially if the company expects you to be varied and occasionally paint 2D backdrops or make some interface elements. There is some good stuff to be found on conceptart.org read up on it and then give it a try and you will soon find yourself using the knowledge in your artwork. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Wonkey wrote: »

You may want to start a real sketchbook so you have something to bring with you in interviews as proof that you have trad skillz.

And if you have trouble at this point of coming up with original ideas for drawing, you can just copy works of artists or game art that inspire you as "study" pieces. Before somebody says WTF...lemme say, pros do it in their own sketchbooks. Of course, give credit where it's due. And once your skills have reach the point where you can add your own take, sure add those in the mix.

In one of Feng Zhu's youtube videos he mentioned having a presentation sketchbook (where drawings are polished) and a design version where drawings are looser and not as impressive looking. So, that's one approach if you think it's too much of a pressure making content for one book. Another one is aiming to have a portfolio of 6-12 pgs of samples.

You can paint in sketchbooks too by the way. Watercolors, acrylics...they dry pretty fast. Get a book with thick paper if you want to try it out.

Good luck.

http://youtu.be/LwkDbnWYKyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E49y6s5GqCs#t=120s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5kkrnBGi9Lg#t=26s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KBS2EkOcvXM#t=52s