Home Technical Talk

Maya Render troubles

Hello,

I've been trying to render some objects in maya, but everytime I try to apply a map to the shader maya crashes. I'm using mia_material_x_passes. This is the error I get:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : while defining texture "file1:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/Work/Users/PCC/_Benji/_PCC2/000 - WORKING/PCC2/sourceimages/LtShldr_S.psd

Look familiar to anyone or know of somewhere I can find an answer?

It also happened when I tried to apply a .tga AO aswell.

Replies

• Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    looks like he cant find the right texture path,
    maybe you create a new shader or getting the path right.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Or it does not support PSD or the specific PSD setup you have?
  • BenjiCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't figured out the specific problem. I applied a jpg and it seemed to work fine. I thought, for sure, Maya could use PSDs. Why else would there be an option for them if they aren't supported?

I'm not sure how it could be a problem with my build, I don't know how I could screw up Bump<click>, file<click>, sourceimages<click>, texture.psd<click>.

I tried making the shader in a new scene, then exporting the shader network out. It built without crashing in a separate scene (it gave me the same error, but didn't crash). I exported it (as a .ma), then imported that network into my active scene, and it promptly crashed (this, using a PSD). I reopened the active scene and and rebuilt the shader using a jpg, and it seems to be working fine.

I don't know. I'll keep asking around.

Thanks for the replies guys!
  • BenjiCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, in terminal, when I tried to import the shader network into my active scene, I got this message:

mental ray: version 3.9.1.47, Sep 7 2011, revision 156247
    libpng warning: Ignoring attempt to set cHRM RGB triangle with zero area
    while defining texture "Front:file1:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/Work/Users/PCC/_Benji/_PCC2/000 - WORKING/PCC2/sourceimages/Front_N.psd

while defining texture "Front:file1:tex": failed to open texture file /Volumes/Work/Users/PCC/_Benji/_PCC2/000 - WORKING/PCC2/sourceimages/Front_N.psd

while defining texture "Front:file1:tex": undefined shader "swatch::Front:file1"
    while defining texture "Front:file1:tex": undefined shader "swatch::Front:Front"
    Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
    exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
    reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

Stack trace:
    4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x00007fff83cc60b6 __kill + 10
    5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x00007fff83ce67d2 _Unwind_Resume + 66
    6 Maya 0x00000001000254d1 main + 161
    7 Maya 0x00000001000118d8 start + 52
  • BenjiCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okee-dokee.

Was just talking to a lighting/shading friend of mine. He said that Maya DOESN'T play nice-nice with PSDs. He said to use tgas, which I had some problems with, but I'll keep trouble shooting. and if not, in the end, there's always the failsafe, jpgs.