Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK spaceship

this is my latest project, a futuristic spaceship created using photoshop, max, and UDK

i would appreciate any feedback or comments :)

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.us/f/43/spaceships.jpg/

Replies

• tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Much easier if you just use the embed options that image shack gives ya =D
    spaceships.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and that is looking pretty good my friend, can we see some wires and texture flats ?
  • coronagalvez19
    tnk you for your comment :) and i forgot about the embed options, im kinda new here

spaceshipstats.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i'd kill the grunge overlay you have. its making your metal look like concrete being so noisy.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I agree oobersli about the grunge , too much grunge can be a bad thing, and give your specular some more love, really make those details pop more in your texture.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah have to agree on the grunge too.

Its not like its been placed logically.

I'd add some kinda black dust/soot like stuff along the front edges of the aircraft, and the engines. As if they're been through a meteor shower/dust cloud thing.

And if anything hits it, it will hit along the front facing sides, so add more wear and tear there. Basically I'd logically grunge up the front end of the ship and engines, and leave the rear facing parts relatively clean.

Also the spec is too high all over atm. Try adding a gloss map to really define the spec.

Apart from that, its looking pretty good. Keep at it man! :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm...your metal kind of looks like shiny concrete..
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    LargerThingsNeedMoreSides.jpg

You've also got a bunch of loops that do very little, like those across the top of the hull

In short, your polygon distribution is not very efficient.

Also, you probably shouldn't be using as much floating/intersected geometry.
    The main hull with the air intakes on the front and just behind the rudders, all the way down to the back should be one piece. One engine should pretty much be one part too, not having those intakes and fins floated in.

Try to have only 1 piece of geo per 'animation' object. Sure you can float here and there (cutting in the orange lights would cost you quite a few tris) but try to avoid floating where/if possible.

Less floaters = less draw calls, less aliased lines, and less chance at Z-fighting.

Quickly glancing at your texture, the floats also cost you a lot of space. I take it those rectangles at the bottom are the engine fins? Look how much is black! That's all invisible geometry, and thus, wasted space.

I also agree on reducing the random grunge. Just scale back the layer to like 15% opacity, and then copy that layer and paint extra damage back where it makes sense. Have some larger pieces of damage too. You already have the 7 or so black spots but they're evenly spread across the fuselage, and they're all roughly the same size so they look kinda copypasted.

But most importantly, think where damage would logically occur. Where would the most damage be? At the front. So have a bunch of damage there, and I think it'd help if you painted a rough gradient from front to back, dirty to clean.

If you look at this space shuttle you can exactly see where the hot dirty air comes most. You see a huge dirty triangle from the nose up to the top/rear. Now, the shapes, patterns, materials and the function of your ship are very different so don't just copy that triangle, but it does illustrate what I mean about having different amounts of dirt in different places.
  • coronagalvez19
    tnks for all the feedback guys, ill work on that grundge as soon as i finish my current project.