Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mascot character project

Hello all : )

This is my second foray into character modelling, so yes i'm still a newbie, any and all crits and help are more than welcome. My first character was a low poly soldier model for a class project and as it is holidays i've decided to do some practice, with something a bit different. It is also a way that i can learn some new skills before i finish my second year IE Z-brush, good Normal map baking practices and more about the next gen-character pipeline.

I've chosen to do a mascot i designed for an Anime and video-games convention in my hometown because she's pretty simple for a first shot but still interesting enough.

Here is the concept:

2011mascots_Ayvee_SHEET.jpg

I've made my base in Maya with everything i think i'll need and am going to dive into z-brush in the next few days. I've been using some tutorials to learn the z-brush basics but like i said 'newbie' ha ha I diverted from her face a bit to make it a bit more anime-ish i guess (smaller nose mostly) and the boots are a bit different, she's also got a thinner waist. i also realised how odd her wing thing is in the design (How does it stay up!?) so i'm wondering about that but i might try and do something creative in z-brush,

PC1_1.jpg

I also did a test and practice of her head for experimental purposes which is not at all my final result for the head (Need to actually UV the LP properly, optimise etc), i just wanted to see how the whole process kind of went. (Crazy eyes)

PC1_2.jpg

Anywho as far as specs i am aiming for 13000 tris and 1x 2048 Diff, spec, normal etc. And deadline is before i go back to school so about 3 weeks or so (With a camping trip in the middle ha ha) I also realise she won't be amazing but practice makes perfect!

So yes i will post progress and problems here as i go and i'm looking forward to any feedback!

Rosie

Replies

• ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been toying a bit in Z-brush, just doing some simple folds and such to start off. I'm going to work on the head next, mainly redoing the lips a bit and the hair. I'm a bit nervous about the more hard surface bits because their not really my strong point but challenges are good : P

As always crits and comments totally welcome : )

Zbrush1.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been doing some work on the face, the changes are pretty subtle but i am happy with the direction it's going. The hair is kind of a placeholder i suppose. I was actually wondering if anyone had any advice on what would be the best way to do her hair? I'm unsure whether to seriously try and sculpt is as realistically as i can or just go for alpha planes (?) i've never had any experience with hair, particularly long hair so any tutorials, advice or examples would be awesome : D

pc2.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick progress update, Still plugging away, i've had to restart again and again because i keep learning new ways of doing things ha ha but that's a good thing

Comments and crits always welcome : )

pc3.jpg