Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Materials and Objects Questions

I have a custom helicopter model (huey) that was in GTA and I am trying to prepare it for crysis. I am using max 2012 and have gone into the material slate editor and replaced the GTA multi subobjects with standard subobjects.

The texture on the helo remained the same because I used the same bitmaps.

I am able to export the mesh to CryEngine 3 however, I have material export issues. So I went back into the material editor to try and assign a material number to each object. (Thats my first question - does each object in the helo have to have a separate material number, or does each texture require its own material number?).

I presumed that each object should have its own material and went into the editor to change material numbers in the mesh to match the material numbers in the material editor. At which point the texture went crazy and got all messed up.

Initially, there were only 4 material subobjects in the material editor and the helo looked great. However, I have about 12 different texture files that the helo is using. Does this mean that the 4 materials must have multiple textures in each material slot? If so, how do i know which texture goes with what material and how is this then connected to the objects.

I have a chassis, chassis_vlo, left door, right door, windscreen, top rotor, rear rotor as my objects. Would it help to create layers with the objects and match the materials and textures for each layer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Let me know if I'm wrong, but you want to assign 12 separate textures to one mesh?

This means you'll need to have a multi-sub object material with 12 slots, one for each texture. When you plug all 12 textures into each of the materials, go to the mesh and assign the same number to the specific element/object.
  • Refuse2lose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks - one of the issues is that the object (helicopter) only has 4 sub objects and there are many more textures. I went back and created a multisub object in the material editor and for the most part assigned the material IDs in the material editor to the sub objects with several materials doubling up on the 4 sub objects.

In doing so it appears some of the textures for the chassis of the helo are covering the main rotor blade. I am not sure how to remove that or whether I can put a texture over the top without having degenerative surfaces. Can I avoid unwrapping the model?