Home Technical Talk

organic specular help!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
http://www.heartworks.me.uk/
this is the effect that i'm after for a moving organic surface i'm working with.
notice how the surface has an almost dynamic specularity to it? i cant quite seem to wrap my head around how to achieve this effect in realtime (specifically unity) as all of my tests end up looking stationary and painted on.

any help would be really appreciated in terms of how i could achieve this moving "wet" effect

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    That's just strong, glossy specular and some noise in the bump or normal map. The bumps pick up specular highlights really well, so the spec looks good.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump up the gloss. In unity this would be the Shininess value.

Basically the effect your looking for here is just a really tight specular highlight with a complementary normal map. Also, you might want to get a fairly strong light up close to the object too.

Edit: Drats! Swizzle beat me to it :p
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Bump mapped env maps would do the tick there.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks guys, i'l give those a shot.
    Odium, what do you mean by bump mapped env maps?
    like a cubemap multiplied over the normal channel?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Simple terms, its an env map effect that is influenced by the normal/bump/height/whatever stage. As its additive, it can create shiny, almost wet like effects quite easy. For example, heres a shot of the effect in a dark, poorly lit area so you can see the shine:

env_map.jpg

Also, maybe some rim lighting and SSS can help sell whatever it is you are doing?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    ahhh, i see. Thanks odium, that should also help out quite a bit
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An env map or image based lighting type cube map solution is inherently dependent on the normals of the mesh, whether you've got a simple vertex shaded lowpoly, lowpoly with bump converted normal or lowpoly with baked from high normal map its all the same.

So, what odium was really saying was "use an env/cube map".

The lighting in marmoset is based on cube maps(image based lighting), and 3point shader and Xolius both have inputs for cube maps for ambient light and reflections, so they may be a good starting point to look at. I'm not sure what sort of shaders are available for Unity but you might be able to find a basic IBL shader.

You can additionally use a gloss map to control the "blurryness" of the cube map, usually making use of the various mipmaps(lower res mip for blurrier area).
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Also, be Cautious of where the light source is, the heart seems to have hard spec on the top bottem and sides and suble rim.