Home Technical Talk

where do i put my loops!!

Hey there PC, I'm trying to model a helmet for a character atm.
Here's a quick screenshot or two. My problem is though is that I had to add a bunch of extra loops to gain the support for my multiple eye holes. I know its not going to be deformed but I would really like to be a ble to tidy it up a bit, plus the concentration of loops makes my turbosmooth all bumpy and bad.

I had thought to try and focus them all around the face area, like you would with a head, but that still means i'd have the concentration and i'm not to sure how to do that either (still not great with head topology :poly127:).

Can anybody give me a few tips or a bit of guidance as to where to put my loopsor which ones can be deleted?? Bearing in mind the mesh will be turbosmoothed (or maybe taken into zbrush, I haven't really decided yet.

x4A7I.jpg

TYry6.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the problem right now is, that your mesh isn't evenly spread, i'd go back to model the main shape, subdivide it a couple of time and then use the resoulting geometry to insert the holes
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, yeah I kind of started it to see how it would work out and then sort of went for it without really planning it out too much . . . oops. I'll give it another go, cheers!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    When working on things like curved surfaces with holes, especially when there gonna be turbosmoothed required a bit of pre-planning. It might work out easier to model in holes into a flat surface then use FFD to get the required shape.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ark wrote: »
    When working on things like curved surfaces with holes, especially when there gonna be turbosmoothed required a bit of pre-planning. It might work out easier to model in holes into a flat surface then use FFD to get the required shape.

I second this method. Try to start from the face of the helmet, obviously the toughest areas will be inserting the holes. If you work on a "plane" this will be much easier to get the topology you're looking for, then add even subdivisions so you can properly FFD and form the necessary shapes.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Can anybody give me a few tips or a bit of guidance as to where to put my loopsor which ones can be deleted?? Bearing in mind the mesh will be turbosmoothed (or maybe taken into zbrush, I haven't really decided yet.

Bearing in mind the final distance this guy will be seen at, how much resolution that part of the texture will have, and perhaps whether or not you want the holes to be actual holes (showing the face behind them), if you were taking it into zbrush you could just quickly punch in or cut out the holes there.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    You could also introduce an alpha channel to your diffuse map in the area the holes are at, instead of fiddling with geometry. But, given whatever situation you're currently in / what you want, it might not work.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I would use floaters with black AO instead of transperency.
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow didnt think i'd have this many responses! Thanks guys. I ended up remodelling it again starting with a plane and it turned out so much better. I've actually started a thread involving this whole model in the previews forum for a bit of critiquing if you guys wouldn't mind having a look.

Cheers!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    If you're gonna take this into zbrush, you might as well create the circular extrusions in that program. You'd never model them in, but use an alpha map as mentioned above. Trying to ensure correct cylindrical smoothing like what you're after is difficult, at least with geometry in my experience, in zbrush and leads to smoothing problems and much palava with groups loops and creasing stuff.

You should link the thread in that post above. Saying 'I started a thread!' and leaving it at that leaves the interested to chase it down!
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, yeh you're right here's a link for anyone who fancies having a look.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93962

Back to the helmet though, I have done it in the geometry because this guy is for more of a vfx project I'm doing with some classmates at uni so it could afford to be a bit more high poly than game res.