Home General Discussion

Is this the place for me?

Hello everyone,
I have been looking for a game art forum.
As I look around here I am very inspired by the work I see.
Now i am not employed as an artist. ( looks as most of you are)
I have been a hobbyist about 5 or 6 years. Even though I have a great passion for cg. about 4 months ago I became very interested in game art and want to learn. I just cant seem to get enough modeling, I eat sleep and drink, while thinking about it. Right now I am trying to learn character modeling.
Any way I will get to the point.
I want to know if Polycount is the place for me? would you guys allow me to pick your brain from time to time? I am almost 50 years old, some people say that cg is a young persons thing. Well I don't think so.

so give me some feed back please.

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Age is just a number.

Post some work in P&P and you'll get feedback. The more feedback you incorporate, the more feedback you'll get on future posts.

Welcome aboard!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Welcome!

Just like everything in art - it's never too late to start, and never too early to take good habits :)
    Feel free to post the pieces you have already!

P
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Age doesn't matter. Attitude and work do.

PC tends to be harsh but fair. Less harsh now than it was 10 years ago. You'll get honest critiques, especially if you ask for them.

There's a wealth of information in the technical talk archives as well as the wiki. If you have questions, check the wiki and use the search function on the forums. Most of the newb questions have been asked and answered, but if you can't find what you need to know, feel free to make a new topic.

Also if you are on any of the assorted social networks, its worth while to join a polycount group and friend people there. google+ is my prefered one for 3d and game art people, as its more easily managable and less inherently personal than facebook.

edit: Also, WELCOME! I hope you like lolcats, penis jokes, and assorted trollish humour. This place gets silly sometimes.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think you should worry about your age if you have found your passion! Welcome!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome aboard, sir!
    Art doesn't care about age, and so do not people here.
    Just work hard, work smart, be nice and you'll have a lot fun as well as learn a lot. Or the other way around.
    Anyway, feel free to post some art!:)

cheers
  • johnnybevo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank all of you for your warm welcome.
    I will post some images in a few days. Seems the polycount community is a very active place. That is great. I think will start going through and reading the wiki, looks awesome.
    Even though i don't update it enough here is a link to my blog http://johnnybevo-digitalart.blogspot.com/. You can see some of my older pics. the is a link on the right hand side of the page to an old gallery of some 2d and 3d stuff, most of which I did where I started learning.
    I look forward being a part of this community.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say look at the bright side. You may be 50, but you've got another 50 years, right :)? Seems to me like you've got a bright future ahead of you!

When I was in school, it was not uncommon for there to be a few older guys in my classes, 40+
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    johnnybevo wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I have been looking for a game art forum.
    As I look around here I am very inspired by the work I see.
    Now i am not employed as an artist. ( looks as most of you are)
    I have been a hobbyist about 5 or 6 years. Even though I have a great passion for cg. about 4 months ago I became very interested in game art and want to learn. I just cant seem to get enough modeling, I eat sleep and drink, while thinking about it. Right now I am trying to learn character modeling.
    Any way I will get to the point.
    I want to know if Polycount is the place for me? would you guys allow me to pick your brain from time to time? I am almost 50 years old, some people say that cg is a young persons thing. Well I don't think so.

so give me some feed back please.

Greetings and Salutations;

Welcome to the Polycount, a cg resource domain, where you will post your cg work and receive tips, critics and find resources to fine tune your cg art work skills.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome aboard Sir! It's never too late :)