Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - Do NOT exit sub-object when pressing the sub-object button?

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
Autodesk 3ds Max 2008

I've had this issue forever and it drives me insane.

When in Unwrap UVW mode, you can press the number hotkey to enter sub-object mode (vertex, edge, polygon, etc...) Pressing the same button again will exit you out of sub-object mode.

This drives me absolutely bat shit crazy when working. I'm usually zipping through my UV's at record speed because I'm awesome, but constantly going out of sub-object mode and trying to edit something, and then realizing that I clicked out of sub-object mode.

My expectation - Numeric hotkey enters sub-object mode, but pressing the number again does nothing - you STAY in that sub-object mode. If I want to EXIT sub-object mode I'll set my own damn hotkeys up for that.

Is there a menu option I am missing to turn this "feature" on or off without having to get Tyler to make me a custom script? :) :poly127:

Replies

• garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    or maybe not press the same keys again? i usually have no problem with that
    why do you press the same numeric keys in the first place?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Sometimes sub-object exit happens in Editable Poly too, and sometimes not. Never narrowed it down though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    There's the same issue with hitting Q for the select tool. if you hit it again, it toggles to some silly non rectangular selection mode you only use once every two months. The Fix is to change the binding from "Smart Select" (lolz) to Select Tool.
    Perhaps there's the same thing for this problem as well?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The selection mode toggle that is bound to the hotkey for scale, drives me crazy on a regular basis, too. But yeah, it should be a matter of rebinding the hotkeys to more sane alternatives.
  • vitro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vitro polycounter lvl 11
    hey Mr.AWESOME...
    hit "keyboard shortcut override" and try again.
    You will be amazed!

cheers

Ott wrote: »
    Autodesk 3ds Max 2008

I've had this issue forever and it drives me insane.

When in Unwrap UVW mode, you can press the number hotkey to enter sub-object mode (vertex, edge, polygon, etc...) Pressing the same button again will exit you out of sub-object mode.

This drives me absolutely bat shit crazy when working. I'm usually zipping through my UV's at record speed because I'm awesome, but constantly going out of sub-object mode and trying to edit something, and then realizing that I clicked out of sub-object mode.

My expectation - Numeric hotkey enters sub-object mode, but pressing the number again does nothing - you STAY in that sub-object mode. If I want to EXIT sub-object mode I'll set my own damn hotkeys up for that.

Is there a menu option I am missing to turn this "feature" on or off without having to get Tyler to make me a custom script? :) :poly127:
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    EDIT: ah yeah, the toggle works, except i can't stand it. Switching between 2 groups of keyboard shortcuts gives me headaches.

don't change the macro through the customize UI as i told before
    go to

C: \Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\UI\MacroScripts\Macro_SubObjectLevels.mcr

and there

On Execute do
    (
    If SubObjectLevel == undefined then Max Modify Mode
    Try(If SubObjectLevel != 1 then SubObjectLevel = 1 Else SubObjectLevel = 0)Catch()
    )

and remove Else SubObjectLevel = 0
    and this for all sub object level.

You can then create a new macro based on those ones to assign SubObjectLevel = 0 to 6 key for example.

MacroScript SubObject_0
    Category:"my_macros"
    Tooltip:"Sub-Object Level 0"
    (
    On Execute do
    (
    If SubObjectLevel == undefined then Max Modify Mode
    Try(If SubObjectLevel != 0 then SubObjectLevel = 0)Catch()
    )
    )

where my_macros is what you want as long as you remember it.

and this will work for edit poly/mesh/spline aswell.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also bind "sub-object selection toggle" to a key and it will always exit sub-object mode, provided there isn't a conflicting shortcut.

If you press it again it will re-enter the last sub-object level you where in, which is why its a toggle. I don't think this is bound to a key by default, but I bind mine to 6.

It can be found in: Main Menu > Customize > Customize UI > Keyboard tab > Group: Main UI > Category: All Commands > Sub-object selection toggle
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Ott! I was just explaining this to a co-worker last week and he totally thought I was crazy, my only workaround is looking down at the sub object selection icons in the unwrap window to see what i am currently set on. That being said it still happens to me all the time. I totally agree it is a really stupid feature that is useful to no one.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Fix is to change the binding from "Smart Select" (lolz) to Select Tool.

I did this before, but couldn't remember.

I don't see Select Tool though, do you mean something else? Or where is it under?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Main UI>All commands>select object
  • mLichy