Home Technical Talk

orthograph res and stretching problem

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
orthoprob.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ive tryed looking for some kind of auto placement, increasing the geo in the panels shrinking them in photoshop but it still squishes my orthos and has them in a low res. I worked hard on those things so I want to be able to see them in full detail.

Thanks, Any help apreciated!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    make the bitmap a power of 2 size in each axis, magic will occur and everything will be wonderful (probably)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mean enlarging the actual image by 100% in photoshop?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, changed the width and hieght from 1.0 & 1.0 to 0.65 and 1.0 and it looks slightly better. However the resolution is still horrible.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i mean go to photoshop and make the image itself a power of 2 pixels big in both axes

some powers of 2 are.... 2, 4, 8 ,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 and so on

load it back into max. disable the cropping/placement stuff and apply it to a plane that has the same aspect ratio as the image

if the image is not a power of 2 size, max will resize it internally so that it is - which naturally screws everything up.
  • Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first step it to make sure the reference plane is the correct aspect ratio.

Then make sure your driver is displaying higher resolution. Customize>Preferences... Viewports tab>Configure Driver...>

oh... um... 2012 is different now for me. I can't click on that button.

Well the next step was to choose the highest resolution settings and check the match bitmap as close as possible options.

If you can do that, it should fix your reference image. If not, reopen your material editor.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the placement is fixed but is still realy low res...could there be somthing wrong with my units?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are the pixel dimensions of the image file?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ken Benson wrote: »
    My first step it to make sure the reference plane is the correct aspect ratio.

Then make sure your driver is displaying higher resolution. Customize>Preferences... Viewports tab>Configure Driver...>

oh... um... 2012 is different now for me. I can't click on that button.

Well the next step was to choose the highest resolution settings and check the match bitmap as close as possible options.

If you can do that, it should fix your reference image. If not, reopen your material editor.

did this, its still low res...im going to try and erase the material and reassign it.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe wrote: »
    what are the pixel dimensions of the image file?

512 wide
    1020 high

I was thinking there might have been a difference in my unit configs for max and the power of 2 I set the photoshop document as. Sorry I would look this up myself but google times out untill tomorrow when my internet plan rolls over.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RJBonner wrote: »

1020 high

that's your problem

512x1024 will work

units etc in max will have no effect at all . the only important thing is the pixel dimensions of the image.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boratgreatsuccess450x33.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think when I ws messing around with the settings I clicked apply and that must have updated the viewport. Awsome, special thanks to poopipe and Ken Benson!

lerning cool stuff