Home Technical Talk

best too to paint over a model?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I have tried the mudbox painting but honestly I find it a bit ankward and tiring to use , and most of times I end up making washed out parts and bad texturing when the same things I do much better in Photoshop , I am very used to the tools like clone stamp and patch tools ... is there somtheing that is easy and very comfortable to paint on a model similar to photoshop ? I even tried the 3d features of photoshop but .... no comment ...

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    why dont you use the 'export screen to psd' feature. thats the best of both worlds.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    for what tool?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you go to file-> 'export screen to psd' it will take a screenshot of your 3D model and send it to a layered document in photoshop.

you can then paint on it in PS, press save and it will be applied to your texture in 3D. So you get the 3d features of mudbox and all the nice tools you like in PS.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    hehe.. it never re-projects it precisely for me..
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I tried it but is not really working well , it worked for the first psd but the second it was stuck onthe previous and there was no way to get another side ... anyway it's still the same thing ... more orless...

Isn't there something that let me use PS tools "over" themesh ?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    no dont work for me and it's really buggy ... if you mean the 3d tools of PS ...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found it can be it a bit touch and go depending on the graphics card. you guys fully up to date with your drivers.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Bodypaint3D.. Basically Photoshop3D if you ask me.
    Mudbox's painting.. I have had varying results myself in the past. Seems to work ok with applying textures, but hand painting stuff had allot of "glitches".
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bb0x wrote: »
    Bodypaint3D.. Basically Photoshop3D if you ask me.
    Mudbox's painting.. I have had varying results myself in the past. Seems to work ok with applying textures, but hand painting stuff had allot of "glitches".

whats it like with multiple texture tiles? mudbox is the only program ive found that does that well. but like you say its a bit touchy
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    3d coat really does the trick for me. You can paint normals, spec and diffuse with real time preview and it directly export layers to psd.

Just give the demo a try :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    whats it like with multiple texture tiles? mudbox is the only program ive found that does that well. but like you say its a bit touchy

Multiple textures tiles?
    I dont think BP3D has anything similiar like Mudbox's system. And to be honest I havent used UV tiles much myself.

But you can kind of do something like a tile system for BP3D.
    Multiple UV set per object, each uv set its own material/texture. You offset the uv in the material tag and simply changing the order the materials are assigned to the model is kind of like switching between tiles. But yeah.. it needs a bit of manual setting up and is a bit more complicated than how mudbox handles it, but it should be doable.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I dont have 3dcoat , I have mud or zbrush
    and ps , but mudbox is resulting really imprecise , even importing exporting a lot of times it doesn't takes the edges painting ...

Zbrush only can paint decently on zprojection on high poly seems ....or not? I dont even know how to import a texture and paint over ufff...!!!

bah I went to see bodypaint 3d site and it says that their last updates are back to the 2010 version of max so outdated from 2 years?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifLgZ818GC4"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifLgZ818GC4[/ame]

stoofoo did this^^ might help?

EDIT** ahh wait, this is for one of your other questions....so many threads, I got confused sorry.

have you considered just setting up a master thread for questions....might make them a bit easier to track if they are all in one place?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post a link to it saying it only supports Max 2010 as I cant seem to find anything like that.

Apart from that Bodypaint3d can be used as a standalone app. BP3D R13 just got released afaik (2011).

Oh and r_fletch_r using UV tiles in BP3D seems to be easier than I thought. You set your UV's up like you normally would (no messing with multiple uv sets). Apply a material per UV tile and disable tiling, and offset the material according to the uv tile.
  • NAIMA
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I cant find anything like that on the English version of the site.

Though I think the only thing that happens with the integration is a script or plug-in that sends the model the BP3D and back to Max.

And that quick walktrough of multi material painting in Mudbox, it is very possible in BP3D as well. In fact.. Bodypaint allows you to paint over several channels at the same time.

-edit

It looks like that page is only for updating software.

So an update to the 3dsMax 2010 plugin.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    So I dont understand shoudl I get what a plugin ? cinema 4D? or what?Is there a demo?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodypaint is included in Cinema4d so get Cinema4d.

http://www.maxon.net/downloads/demo-version.html
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I really like the viewport canvas in max2012 - the photoshop integration is fairly good (doesn't do layer effects or layer groups ) and as long as your UVs are good it's generally pretty decent.

it has it's weaknesses (doesn't like blu across UV seams much) but the projection is predictable and you've already got it..
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    well if I could I would like to avoid spend other money lol anyway ... how bout zbrush ... not that good for the task?

aren't there other free tools?

the best woudl be use PS tools directly in PS on a 3d model , but the implementation they did of that 3d thing is awefully terrible unpractical and buggy ...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush polypainting is fine but the fact you can't really work on individual layers in a psd while viewing the whole thing is a handicap. The actual texture painting/projection master thing is crap IMO

viewport canvas supports the layers etc and the fact it's in your max viewport is very handy.

I'll use both depending on what I'm doing
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    NAIMA wrote: »
    aren't there other free tools?

Blender? It's not perfect (no psd layer support, for one), but otherwise it's solid as hell. Paint directly in the viewport, or alternately projection to and from photoshop.
  • trafaret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painting in Zbrush is great and awful at the same time.

"...I dont even know how to import a texture and paint over ufff...!!!..."

for using images in your texture work it's fastest to use the Spotlight feature
    check out youtube for tutorials
    it gives you the option to manipulate your images before projecting them... bit odd and fiddly (especially the nudge resolution settings)... but gives you a fast workflow if you get the hang of it.
    in Zbrush you can paint either:
    directly to texture, then you are limited by texture size, but get good feedback of how the texture will look
    or subdivide your model enough for precision polypainting, and choose the texture size (or even UV layout- can be a lifesaver) later

The main drawback to painting on texture is- no layer options whatsoever. With polypainting you have layers "theoretically" although you can't change blend, only have opacity. But what's worse is that polypaint layers in zbrush eventually build up buggy artefacts, so in the end this option might as well not be there, it's completely broken.

That said i'd painted in zbrush using imported images and "spotlight", created hand-painted textures while working with both texture and polypainting.... and as long as you know, that you don't have the luxury of using layers, you can get some good and quick results.

I've actually also created very detailed textures using 3d features of photoshop... but yes, the process turned out to be loong and painful. But, imho, nothing beats photoshop in terms of tools and flexibility

Sorry if this may not be an option for you, but so far my favourite option for 3D painting at the moment is 3ds Max's Viewport Canvas (not many bugs, layers, clone stamp, import images and alphas, tablet support, various tweak-able settings), which is closer to 2D painting in photoshop than anything else for me atm. For me that means less compromises than any other option (you still probably import the texture into photoshop for final touches.... but you get all your layers intact-priceless), here's hoping they expand on what is already there with the next release.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    whats viewport canvas?

Btw It turned out that the choppy results I had in mudbox where du to an overlapping seams in the uvmap ... I redid the uvmap and I could get seamless results , tough my problem with it is may be because I do not know the tool very well ... whenever I paint on the surface the fallof distance between the main brush and the border of it is very thin and results in usually strong painting , then , I can't set the brush under 1 size and I need to enlarge the meshes to get smaller detail ... plus whenever i paint on a side sometimes I get also the other side painted or the side angles projected with a very stretched texture ad I need to go back over and over on the same areas , plus dunno why but the result is never crisp and sharp ...

anyway what you think of this texturing overall?

its a model suit of Conan I am doing for SKyrim I did all apart the main body and head ... so is a mod ... but I am using it to learn the basics of this character stuff....

samplem.jpg
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its viewport painting in max - select a mesh, go to the tools mesnu and you'll find it .

I'm not sure what version they brought it in but it's there in 2012 and wasn't there in 2009
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14