Home Technical Talk

Learning Sculping?

Hey guys and gals,

I have recently started to learn how to use Mudbox 2012, and studying anatomy. I have had some issues with trying to get the Brushes and strokes of the brush to do what I want them to. With this, I have some questions for you.

I only have a Mouse. Should I invest in a sketch pad?

And if so Why not a mouse? I want to know the reasons, so I have something to research.

I am on a strict budget, could you recommend a cheap one that will do the job?

Thanks,

Lee

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, get a tablet. Even a sub-$100 bamboo tablet will be many times better than using a mouse for this. Why?

Pressure sensitivity.

Google that phrase and that should give you plenty to research.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    Yes you need a tablet for any serious sculpting, mostly because of the pressure sensitivity.
    I'd get a Wacom one for sure. If a new one is too expensive, try to find a used one or an older model, or consider a bamboo.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Yes, get a tablet. Even a sub-$100 bamboo tablet will be many times better than using a mouse for this. Why?
    Pressure sensitivity.

This. I couldn't imagine painting or sculpting without it. You might find the program agrees, and once you have a tablet, the brushes behave more like you had in mind.

I also find it better emulates the way I'd hold traditional tools, be it a pencil / brush / sculpting rake / etc. Even if you're trained more to use your elbows and shoulders, there's just a certain flow / control that comes naturally with a stylus which would be awkward-if-not-impossible to get with a mouse.
  • ArchieVision
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the input. This will help convince the little woman it is needed. ;) I will start my search for a good used one.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    wacom bamboo's are great entry level tablets.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just a quick search turned up a refurb bamboo for $55:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Factory-Refurbished/dp/B003LVKQ18/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1326656072&sr=8-8"]Amazon.com: Wacom CTL460 Bamboo Pen Tablet (Factory Refurbished): Electronics[/ame]

That's perfect for trying one out and seeing if you like working with a tablet before dropping hundreds on a larger model.
  • bacteria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bamboo is great , one bad thing i can say about it is that sometimes I got a feeling like scratching nails on a blackboard. Intuos is much more smoother

If you go for used bamboo, get pen&touch. older wersion of bamboo pen (one with red label) have 512 presure level, pen&touch is 1024. New version of bamboo pen is 1024 (green label)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    I have a Bamboo Pen, (red Label) which i use as my portable tablet. 512 levels of PS works fine, especially for a starter tablet.

About the "scratching nails".. I felt like my intuos3 felt too slippery.. Bamboo felt more like drawing on paper.. but not quite.
  • hathol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    i have a bamboo pen and touch and its fantastic. they dont make it anymore but they have better/comparable models out there in terms of features and price. they're just called bamboo something. i think the texture of the pad is great and i'm looking into upgrading but i think i'm going to hold out until intuos5 comes out. if you find yourself using it everyday then you'll know it was a good decision. i've only dabbled in sculpting with my wacom but i find it great for painting and pretty much anything in photoshop.