Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ginger - Low Poly Chara

Hi everyone!
This is my first complete character. I made her mainly to learn UV unwrap method in Max.
Polywise I think she´s to skinny an would have made bigger hips, but she´s also a thin teen so... maybe for the next one.
Need basic tips on how to start messing arround with Zbrush though, since ginger was obviously not in ZB.
Polycount: 3529
Maps: Diffuse, Specular, Opacity, Normals
low_poly_character_by_marioans-d4gp58c.jpg
lowpoly_chara_detail_by_marioans-d4gp5u3.jpg
lowpoly_character_views_by_marioans-d4gp60z.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, she's too skinny and have no variation in shapes. This makes her looks unappealing. There's some concept, or you did her on the fly?

Another strange thing is the fact that you are using photo textures over a cartoonish model. This makes her looks inconsistent, at least for me. I think more colorful, hand painted textures would worked better.

About Zbrush, there's tons of video tutorials in youtube, and PIxologic website. http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/

Meats Meier have his Gnomon DVD training videos for free on his Vimeo channel: http://vimeo.com/album/49069
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    I think shes a little tall, like stretched vertically, not so much skinny. I think mostly in the neck and legs. Visually I don't think using the photo textures is bad with a cartoony model but the face sort of breaks it. On one hand the bust looks really good aside from a lack of texture on her jacket, but with those eyes don't compliment the style shes modeled in. Make the eyes bigger, or just shrink her a bit in the legs and neck (probably would be easier.)
  • marioans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. There is concept alright but mainly from real pics instead of a cartoonish style.
    Gillmeister, My main concern was thar the face was not in the same style of the body.
    Think I will tweak the eyes and see about those legs & neck.

Will chek Meats vids.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish my first character looked this good! You should post the unwrap too since you were learning that. Just from looking at it, next time you should allot more space to the hat. Its fuzzy and has high frequency detail. The bill of the hat looks like it could have used some extra geometry to smooth the bend out. Possibly could be a little thicker too because it gets lost some from far away. I am sure you learned a ton right? :)